PDA

View Full Version : Headlines by the word

ktinkel
03-03-2005, 12:57 PM
House Industries is going to sell headline text by the word. It makes sense — they bought the Photo-Lettering display font library a couple of years ago, and that’s how PLINC used to sell its type to designers and publishers.

According to a report of the announcement at TypoTechnica 2005, you will be able to set headlines online, “complete with color, effects, layers, and alternate glyphs,” and receive them as vector art in PDFs.

The web, of course, will give a new twist to this idea. I haven’t found much more information, including the startup date, but you can read this short comment (http://www.linotype.com/8-2168-8-18075/speakerspresentations.html) at the Linotype web site.

donmcc
03-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Well, I remember Typositor, and it used to be charged by the word. Of course, back then you got expert kerning with that. Something tells me this system will use some kind of machine driven kerning.

Don McCahill

ktinkel
03-04-2005, 05:24 AM
Well, I remember Typositor, and it used to be charged by the word. Of course, back then you got expert kerning with that. Something tells me this system will use some kind of machine driven kerning.I don’t think I ever bought Typositor type (but later worked in a studio that had one — I loved that thing!).

With Typositor, you essentially placed each letter so kerning (of some quality, dependent on operator skill and taste) was inevitable.

Photo-Lettering traditionally was also essentially handset. But I have no idea what House Industries plans to offer — nor when. But I suppose we will get to see it sometime.