PDA

View Full Version : Font posters from Linotype [PR]

ktinkel
03-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Linotype sells its entire library (or the critical mass of it, anyway, some 3,900 fonts — excluding the Lucida family, Linotype Univers, Frutiger Next, Syntax, and Compatil) on its unlocked “GoldEdition” DVD for $8,190 U.S.

However, even if that is too rich for your blood, you can get a set of five posters (http://www.linotype.com/58156/postersetgoldedition-font.html) showing the fonts for $5 U.S. Here is the Lino description: The Linotype GoldPoster set (includes five posters) is just the thing for typography fans — it not only looks good, it also contains a lot of useful information. Almost all Linotype GoldEdition types are on display, but even if you don't own Linotype’s GoldEdition Library, it can help you to find a number of typefaces you can find in our Webshop. Each poster is 56 x 84 cm folded down to 21 x 28 cm.
For more information, check out the Linotype web site (http://info@linotype.com).

Richard Hunt
03-02-2005, 07:14 AM
you can get a set of five posters (http://www.linotype.com/58156/postersetgoldedition-font.html) showing the fonts for $5 U.S.
Came up here priced at 5.80 euro - or about US S7.50. (80 cent of that is VAT).

Richard Hunt

ktinkel
03-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Came up here priced at 5.80 euro - or about US S7.50. (80 cent of that is VAT).Now precisely free, but not bad if they are nice enough. Did you order?

Richard Hunt
03-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Now precisely free, but not bad if they are nice enough. Did you order?

No, mostly because the cost of shipping was nowhere to be seen.

Richard Hunt

ktinkel
03-03-2005, 10:45 AM
No, mostly because the cost of shipping was nowhere to be seen.That Linotype site is really a mess. You have to order, go through several steps in the payment process, and then they show you the shipping.

Then you can bail, but not before doing all that work.

Michael Rowley
03-03-2005, 11:01 AM
KT:

'and then they show you the shipping'

The 'shipping' cost would not be much, even if the posters were sent from the USA, instead of from Germany; tubes for posters etc. are not expensive.

ktinkel
03-03-2005, 12:59 PM
The 'shipping' cost would not be much, even if the posters were sent from the USA, instead of from Germany; tubes for posters etc. are not expensive.Dunno. I wanted to order the Frutiger video and the poster set, and the shipping charge was $25, nearly doubling the cost of the purchase.

So I backed out.

Michael Rowley
03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
KT:

'I wanted to order the Frutiger video '

That might explain the high charge: I think those postal tubes go as letters.

donmcc
03-03-2005, 07:05 PM
KT:

The 'shipping' cost would not be much, even if the posters were sent from the USA, instead of from Germany; tubes for posters etc. are not expensive.

This is assuming that the shipping costs are related to the actual transit fees. A lot of companies include "and handling" which might include a couple of bucks to roll a poster and insert it into the tube.

(Actually, I think I saw on the site where the posters are folded and mailed flat.)

Don McCahill

Richard Hunt
03-04-2005, 12:58 AM
That Linotype site is really a mess. You have to order, go through several steps in the payment process, and then they show you the shipping.

It does seem to be a particular problem for German sites. I've had to actually telephone some places to find out whether or not they would even ship to the UK and if so at what cost. I do not want to go through the rigmarole of ordeering and then find out that the shipping is vis UPS Priority Air and costs twice as much as the goods.

Richard Hunt

Kass Johns
03-21-2005, 05:02 PM
FYI...
I wrote a note to Linotype back when I had asked around here for wall posters for my classroom. This gold edition poster set is what they sent me (for free). I also received a matching catalog and the two CDs of Linotype FontExplorer 1.7 (one for Mac, one for WIN)

I assume that maybe I didn't have to pay because I had requested them as an instructor for my classroom. I hung up one of the five and have the rest in my classroom for reference with the catalog. What was unusual was that I rceived a total of two sets of these in two separate mailings that arrived on the same day!

Oh well, I'm not complaining. My students are thrilled! And it was nice to see photos and short bios in the front of the catalog of famous type designers like Hermann Zapf!

FWIW...

k