PDA

View Full Version : Hello Old Friends!

dexter
12-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I've been in DTP for many years now, and I have always been a user and advocate of online forums for help and guidance. However I was unaware of this forum until a few days ago. And yet it also feels like an old friend.

I was a member of this community starting back with the old Aldus Forum on Compuserve, as it transitioned to the Adobe Forum and then the DTP Forum. At that time I was new to DTP and had begun a new job as operator/manager/only-person-in-the-department of a traditional prepress shop that had just dropped a lump of money on an entirely new computer/scanner/film imagesetter so as to be able to move its business into the next century. As the lone "expert" there, I relied on the Compuserve forums for knowledge, troubleshooting, and to give me the confidence that I would be able to do my job day after day without running the shop into a brick wall or really deep pothole.

My use of Compuserve waned as their service changed, web forums grew, and the value offered there declined, so eventually I ended my account. I found the free Compuserve access over the web very inconvenient and so moved on to other web forums for support.

One of those other forums recently posted a link here at the request of someone looking for general DTP info. I am so happy to see this place, full of familiar names! And scanning the messages I see the same friendly, knowledgeable atmosphere that I remember from my days at Compuserve.

I just wanted to say hi and thank you to everyone who has helped me become an infamous "expert" in my field locally, and to the continued and ongoing support of old and new members helping each other in this interesting field.

I don't think I ever posted anything "memorable" in the old forums, other than that I was (and still am) a rather rabid "Star Wars" geek involved in charity events for the premieres of Episodes 1, 2 and 3, and maybe if anyone remembers me for writing a small booklet for my local customers on the do's and don'ts of setting up files that are to be reproduced at a service bureau or print shop.

I am still working in electronic prepress (not at the same shop) and recently I began teaching a "continuing education" course at a local community college titled "Preparing Design for Press" where I get to influence designers on creating files that will run properly when sent for professional printing.

annc
12-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I was a member of this community starting back with the old Aldus Forum on Compuserve, as it transitioned to the Adobe Forum and then the DTP Forum.Hey Dave, welcome back!

We're always more than happy to see any of the old CompuServe people rejoining us in our new home.

And I'm sure printers all over the place will be even happier to see the results of your teaching at college.

Don Arnoldy is also teaching.

ktinkel
12-24-2006, 04:36 AM
Hi, Dave — it has been a while! Welcome back.

Glad to see you found us again.

Franca
12-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi, Dave — so glad you found us! Pull up a seat and stay awhile. :)

ElyseC
12-24-2006, 05:35 PM
I don't think I ever posted anything "memorable" in the old forums, other than that I was (and still am) a rather rabid "Star Wars" geek involved in charity events for the premieres of Episodes 1, 2 and 3, and maybe if anyone remembers me for writing a small booklet for my local customers on the do's and don'ts of setting up files that are to be reproduced at a service bureau or print shop.Hm...maybe you did post something memorable, at least to me, another Star Wars fan who is mom to a 6 year old Star Wars lunatic. :) Wasn't it you who told us your plans to camp out on line for the premiere of Episode 1, then when you returned from the event you shared your thoughts on the movie and the experience?

dexter
12-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Wasn't it you who told us your plans to camp out on line for the premiere of Episode 1Yes that was me! In 2002 I joined the staff that organized the event in NYC for Episode II, supplying my DTP and printing resources to a small group of extremely talented people. We raised an average of $16,000 each time for our charity, the Starlight Foundation.

In 2005 for Episode III we were really on our game. Corporate sponsorship was up, we added a few more avenues for generating money, and ended up raising $46,600 during our three-week campout in front of the theater... more than for Episode I and II combined. It was an awesome event, I had a huge amount of fun participating, and it is something I am extremely proud to have been a part of.

The charity website is still up at www.nyline.org (http://www.nyline.org) and I still have the original photos from Episode I posted at my website.

ElyseC
12-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Yes that was me!I thought so! See? You're unforgettable! :)

Congrats on the great success with the charity work!

terrie
12-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi Dave...I remember you...welcome back! Hope to see you around more often...

Terrie

marlene
12-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi Dave! Nice to see you over here. There are a lot of us Compuserve refugees still around! <g>

mxh

marlene
01-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Believe it or not, I'm cleaning out a file cabinet and just found a print-out of the message you posted in the Water Cooler (of the Compuserve forum) on May 12, 1999.

It includes links to the Village Voice and a Dutch newspaper in which you were apparently pictured waiting in line for Episode I tickets.

And no, the links don't work any more ... <g>

mxh

dexter
05-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Believe it or not, I'm cleaning out a file cabinet and just found a print-out of the message you posted in the Water Cooler (of the Compuserve forum) on May 12, 1999.<g>

mxh

Ha ha!!! See, you can't get rid of me... I'm everywhere, I'm in your stuff;). I have copies of those things on my website, figuring they wouldn't last forever on the web... the Dutch newspaper is here (http://www.idexter.com/starwars/pages/e1/dutch_news.html) (I'm not in the photo, but I designed and printed the "The Line Starts Here..." poster that was in virtually every article (print, web, television) that covered the event.