PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of a font called Hound?

DTP Guy
03-01-2005, 12:50 PM
I have been asked to try and identify and then source a font used in a logo (attached)

It is the Conjungo word. Pretty sure the G is a drawn character, but the rest of the font is identified as Hound by the website owners. They no longer have the font. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

ktinkel
03-02-2005, 07:35 AM
I have been asked to try and identify and then source a font used in a logo (attached)

It is the Conjungo word. Pretty sure the G is a drawn character, but the rest of the font is identified as Hound by the website owners. They no longer have the font. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?I haven’t a clue, and when I ran it through Identifont (http://www.identifont.com/identify.html), didn’t even get close. And neither the Bauhaus-like or general sans-serif specimens at the Bowfin site (http://bowfinprintworks.com/FontSpotting.html) had anything close.

The straight-armed C appears in some Bauhausy fonts from the 60s and 70s. The J with a crossbar and deep bowl seems to be more unusual. The name Hound does not turn up on common lists of fonts.

Sorry.

scottleyes
03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
The closest I can figure is a wierd hybrid between Insignia Alternate (for the "J"), Handel Gothic (in the "C") and any geometric bauhaus derivative like Ronda (for the "n"s and the "u"s). If it was ever a font, it's likely that it was a freebie from the Fontographer Renaissance (1990s), or a cheesy knockoff.

I've had (minor) luck in the past Googling the font name ("Hound") with keywords like "TrueType" and/or "Font" and/or "Type 1"... sometimes you get lucky and find an almost-shut-down site with an unbroken link to the font you're looking for... but be warned, you may NOT be that lucky (Fonts I find this way usually end up being the Ugliest things you've ever seen, or worse, complete RIP-killers).

ktinkel
03-02-2005, 05:14 PM
The closest I can figure is a wierd hybrid between Insignia Alternate (for the "J"), Handel Gothic (in the "C") and any geometric bauhaus derivative like Ronda (for the "n"s and the "u"s). If it was ever a font, it's likely that it was a freebie from the Fontographer Renaissance (1990s), or a cheesy knockoff.Man, is it a delight to see you here!

I was recently trying to open my ancient copy of Rodchenko in Fontographer, only to discover that the printer font was some sort of alien species. Made me think of you, that’s for sure — and here you are!

Glad to see you? And what are you up to these days?

DTP Guy
03-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Thanks Kathleen. I have tried running it through 'What the Font' on MyFonts.com and had similar (bad) luck.

DTP Guy
03-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the info, Scott. I will try the Google search as you describe.

Personally, I think that a number of different fonts have been used here and 'adjusted' in a program like Illustrator or CorelDRAW.

scottleyes
03-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah, the original Rodchenko is pretty long in the tooth... I had to update it a while back to use it, but I haven't made any progress on "Rodchenko Pro" opentype yet.

As for me, the economy bit me in the *ss, so i'm just getting back into the swing of things with a new job back in the O.C. Governor Arnold was getting people to sign his petitions right down the street from me today!

ktinkel
03-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah, the original Rodchenko is pretty long in the tooth... I had to update it a while back to use it, but I haven't made any progress on "Rodchenko Pro" opentype yet.I can’t open it in either Fontographer or Fontlab, alas.

[As for me, the economy bit me in the *ss, so i'm just getting back into the swing of things with a new job back in the O.C. Governor Arnold was getting people to sign his petitions right down the street from me today!Ah, gee — imagine that! Did The Governator give you a job? <g>

Anyway, glad to have you here.