PDA

View Full Version : Trip Down Memory Lane - DTP Forum News 1990!

JohnC
03-01-2005, 08:32 AM
I scanned the DTP Forum News from Summer 1990. A PDF is available at
http://cornicello.com/dtp/dtpnews.pdf

Franca
03-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Oh my goodness! "Log on at 300 baud." (From Don's tips on conferencing, p. 2) LOL!!!!

Franca
03-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Don't mind my mucking about - just thought this branch deserved to be its own tree so I got my hands dirty and did some gardening.

Thanks for posting that, John! Newsletters really are fun to read - too bad they're so much work to put together.

Wow ... those were the days, eh? I didn't arrive on CIS until the WinCIM and OLR days so 'terminal mode' always struck fear into my heart. (My husband, however, was tapping away from the very early days.) The notion of conferencing sans interface boggles my mind.

annc
03-01-2005, 10:45 AM
http://cornicello.com/dtp/dtpnews.pdfGood grief! That woman on page 2 is the spitting image of me right now!

Franca
03-01-2005, 10:51 AM
And you thought it could never happen to you. LOL!

annc
03-01-2005, 11:10 AM
And you thought it could never happen to you. LOL!Too true! It was Elyse who greeted the courier in a pair of tatty pyjamas, not me. I was the one who greeted a courier in a bath towel. Now that thread was a long time ago... I doubt if the towel would cover enough of me these days, my shape having changed to match the cartoon.

terrie
03-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Wow!!! Thank you so much for scanning that...it was really cool to read it...

Terrie

Franca
03-01-2005, 12:37 PM
I keep my workout pants within handy reach so that I can always throw them and a t-shirt on before I open the door for the courier. But that doesn't mean a brush has touched my hair - and the slippers on the feet probably prevent me from fooling anyone. <g>

annc
03-01-2005, 12:43 PM
I keep my workout pants within handy reach so that I can always throw them and a t-shirt on before I open the door for the courier. But that doesn't mean a brush has touched my hair - and the slippers on the feet probably prevent me from fooling anyone. <g>I'm sure nothing much fools couriers. <g> The day I wore the towel, I'd been in the shower and he'd already been waiting a while when I appeared. The couriers here seem to sort their cargo so as to visit the work-from-homers first, knowing they'll be there well before eight, and then do their shop/office people after opening time.

As I think I mentioned at the time, the word got around, and I had very good service from all the couriers for some time thereafter. Sometimes with a commen about not wearing a towel. <g>

terrie
03-01-2005, 01:07 PM
>>franca: "Log on at 300 baud." (From Don's tips on conferencing, p. 2) LOL!!!!

Indeed...one thing that is very interesting is the reference to using "GA" to let someone know that you are finished "speaking"...

This is used by the deaf when using the relay via a TTY/TDD--still in use...wonder who originated it?

Terrie

ElyseC
03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
http://cornicello.com/dtp/dtpnews.pdfOh my GOSH! Laura! And Don with all dark hair! <ggg>

SEN and USERS commands! What great flashbacks!

Where's Skye these days, I wonder? Diane Breen?

ElyseC
03-01-2005, 03:37 PM
>>franca: "Log on at 300 baud." (From Don's tips on conferencing, p. 2) LOL!!!!

Indeed...one thing that is very interesting is the reference to using "GA" to let someone know that you are finished "speaking"...

This is used by the deaf when using the relay via a TTY/TDD--still in use...wonder who originated it?I'm pretty sure it came from the deaf community and TTYs. I had two dear friends when we were in our 20s that were profoundly deaf from birth and they both used TTYs. However, when they were talking with their mom (they were bro and sis), they spoke into the phone to her and she typed back. She had no trouble understanding their speech. I usually understood them without problem, too, although it helped if I could read their lips.

terrie
03-02-2005, 02:25 PM
>>elysec: I'm pretty sure it came from the deaf community and TTYs.

Interesting...I was wondering if it might have come from Ham radio...

>>However, when they were talking with their mom (they were bro and sis), they spoke into the phone to her and she typed back. She had no trouble understanding their speech.

There's quite a few different approaches to communication for the deaf...many deaf people don't speak as they were never offered the option of speech therapy and then there are those that do...I think that those that do speak came out of families who were hearing and who view speech as a good thing...

>>I usually understood them without problem, too, although it helped if I could read their lips.

Yeah...most of the deaf that I've heard speak (when I could hear) have what I consider a pronounce "accent" and once you get used to it, it's pretty straightforward to understand them...

I never used a TTY/TDD because I wanted to speak for myself--I've already lost my hearing, I'm not interested in giving over my speech too. There is a new technology out called a CapTel which is a captioned telephone...it's pretty slick...phone looks like a regular phone except it has a small screen. You make a call just as anyone else does dialing the number you want and the phone is set up to automatically link to a special relay operator that has trained voice recognition software and they voice what the other person is saying (neither party in the call hears the communication assistant) and it displays on the screen and you speak just as a normally hearing person would so it's close to using a regular phone...

It ain't anywhere near perfect...it's like you are say the 4th or 5th person in the line in the game of telephone--rather than the end of the line without the captioning...

I was part of the trial here in VA and when VA accepted the system, I was sent a new CapTel phone (they'd made improvements on it during the testing) which was nice because the phone is $500 which I certainly didn't have...

Terrie

ElyseC
03-03-2005, 07:29 PM
CapTel sounds pretty slick! I wonder if Ted is using it. He's quite an accomplished engineer now somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, the last I heard from a mutual friend, so he's probably making very good money and can afford whatever equipment he needs. His sister Marianna was the best 4-color film stripper I ever knew and made very good money until she was struck down suddenly with cancer in her 30s. She was also a gifted pastel artist.

terrie
03-04-2005, 12:51 PM
>>elysec: CapTel sounds pretty slick!

It is...

Terrie