PDA

View Full Version : gotta lotta snow yet?

ktinkel
02-28-2005, 04:54 PM
With New England’s third storm in a week, I wonder how others are faring. From the news, I gather Washington, D.C. is getting a load.

It didn’t really gather any energy here in Connecticut until 7 p.m. or so, but they do say we should have 10 inches by morning.

Enough, already! I wonder if this counts as March coming in like a lion?

Fortunately, we have milk and other grub, and can just sit it out. Again.

annc
02-28-2005, 04:56 PM
With New England’s third storm in a week, I wonder how others are faring. From the news, I gather Washington, D.C. is getting a load.

It didn’t really gather any energy here in Connecticut until 7 p.m. or so, but they do say we should have 10 inches by morning.

Enough, already! I wonder if this counts as March coming in like a lion?

Fortunately, we have milk and other grub, and can just sit it out. Again.Hmm, poor you. The first day of autumn here is gorgeous. Top of 28 expected, with a lovely cool breeze. No airconditioning at all needed, for the first day in months.

ktinkel
02-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Hmm, poor you. The first day of autumn here is gorgeous. Top of 28 expected, with a lovely cool breeze. No airconditioning at all needed, for the first day in months.Hrmmmph. So I guess you guys don’t have the expression that “March comes in like a lion but goes out like a lamb!” huh?

annc
02-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Hrmmmph. So I guess you guys don’t have the expression that “March comes in like a lion but goes out like a lamb!” huh?Only in quaint English books. <g>

Jonathan
02-28-2005, 09:25 PM
With New England’s third storm in a week, I wonder how others are faring. From the news, I gather Washington, D.C. is getting a load.San Diego is not noted for its snowfall. The last time it snowed here was in 1968, and it all melted as soon as it hit the ground. But it was pretty exciting while it lasted <g>.

That being said, we are pushing the record for rainfall here, as we have so far the third highest rainfall total since measurement began in 1879. We've had more than Seattle so far this year!

My daughters went on a snow trip to Big Bear (a three hour drive) with friends last weekend, and snow fell the whole three days where they were. They came home very tired and very happy.

I hope your supplies hold up <vbg>

marlene
02-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Actually, we didn't get as much as we were promised in D.C. <sulk>

Anticipating up to 10" of snow, I sent Mr. E out at dawn to forage for bread and milk (we already have lots of cookies). But although it's been snowing all day, and is right purty, it's not accumulating much -- maybe 3" (wild guess, since I haven't set foot outside, or watched the weather reports).

The dogs love it, though. They periodically run outside, chase each other around and slide across the deck (at one point Alexei was taking a break -- lying sprawled out in the snow), then come back in wet and lean against us to be petted. <g>

mxh

ktinkel
03-01-2005, 06:29 AM
…we are pushing the record for rainfall here, as we have so far the third highest rainfall total since measurement began in 1879.Been watching the rain story. The L.A. area has a history of mudslides from periodic heavy rains (a friend lost the school she taught in there in 1963, in fact). But this has been extraordinary.

I hope your supplies hold up <vbg>Oh, sure. It is only about a half mile to two giant supermarkets and less than that to a convenience store for milk and such. But we stock up and stay home — one advantage of being retired!

Jack likes shoveling snow, so that’s what he does. Works for me! <g>

ktinkel
03-01-2005, 06:32 AM
Actually, we didn't get as much as we were promised in D.C. <sulk>Neither did we, and I too feel slightly cheated. They were talking 9 or 10 inches and Jack thinks (he’s been shoveling) it was around 5 inches.

And we didn’t get much wind, either. But I just spoke to a friend in our old town, and she said the wind was really blowing and there were huge drifts of snow, though she doesn’t think they got much more than 5 inches, either.

The dogs love it, though. They periodically run outside, chase each other around and slide across the deck (at one point Alexei was taking a break -- lying sprawled out in the snow), then come back in wet and lean against us to be petted. <g>An act of pure affection of course — thanking you for arranging such a nice day for them.

mxh[/QUOTE]

ElyseC
03-01-2005, 09:53 AM
The dogs love it, though. They periodically run outside, chase each other around and slide across the deck (at one point Alexei was taking a break -- lying sprawled out in the snow), then come back in wet and lean against us to be petted. <g>Sounds like a nearly five year old boy here. <g>

Paul
03-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Fortunately, we have milk and other grub, and can just sit it out. Again.

When I lived on the Connecticut shore, it appeared that it was mainly beer and ice cream that people stocked up on before a storm.

terrie
03-01-2005, 12:16 PM
>>kt: I gather Washington, D.C. is getting a load.

The big storm that wasn't is more like it...it was supposed to start snowing in the wee hours of the morning and when I got up there was NO snow...didn't actually start until about noon or so...they had cancelled school and all sorts of things based on the hype and it was pretty much a bust...

Terrie

terrie
03-01-2005, 12:17 PM
>>jonathan: We've had more than Seattle so far this year!

I read that in the paper...amazing...

How is your house coming along? Any new pics???

Terrie

Jonathan
03-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I read that in the paper...amazing...

How is your house coming along? Any new pics???I've made some significant progress since the last photos I put up in June, but I haven't scanned the later photos to post. And since I don't have a scanner at the moment, it may be a while before I can update the website :-(

I managed to get new shingles on all of the walls of the additions, and hung gutters before the rain started. Right now I have some jury-rigged downspouts and french drains, and they're pretty ugly compared with the other new work. However, they're doing the job, as we haven't had any water come in, and very little flooding around the footings, even in the heavier downpours.

I've just discovered that the place that processes my film will give me a CD with 24 1600 x 1200-pixel images for only $4, and they're pretty good quality for that price. I may take some negs back and see if they'll scan them for me.

When I update the site I'll start a new thread here.

ktinkel
03-01-2005, 03:58 PM
...it was supposed to start snowing in the wee hours of the morning and when I got up there was NO snow...didn't actually start until about noon or so...they had cancelled school and all sorts of things based on the hype and it was pretty much a bust... Yeah, here too.

Nothing so sad as a storm that isn’t!!

On the other hand, it is snowing right now.

terrie
03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
>>jonathan: And since I don't have a scanner at the moment, it may be a while before I can update the website :-(

Bummer that you don't have a scanner but cool that you've found a place that will give you a CD...what happened to your scanner? Gonna get a new one???

>>However, they're doing the job, as we haven't had any water come in, and very little flooding around the footings, even in the heavier downpours.

I was wondering how you guys were doing when I saw all the stuff about the rain on the news...glad your jury-rigging is working...'-}}

Terrie

terrie
03-02-2005, 02:14 PM
>>kt: Nothing so sad as a storm that isn’t!!

Especially if you don't have to go out in it...'-}}

>>On the other hand, it is snowing right now.

Ours is practically alll gone...even the ground isn't quite frozen as I discovered when I went to get Zo today when the farrier came...

Terrie

ktinkel
03-02-2005, 04:23 PM
>>kt: Nothing so sad as a storm that isn’t!!

Especially if you don't have to go out in it...'-}}

>>On the other hand, it is snowing right now.

Ours is practically alll gone...Not so here. It blew around overnight, so Jack shoveled more this morning. And now they are predicting waves of snow between this evening and Saturday, maybe more on the weekend.

Oh, well. Cannot last much longer.

JVegVT
03-02-2005, 06:04 PM
We got 8 inches or more yesterday and overnight. My husband sweeps and shovels it as it's falling, so it's hard to estimate how much we got.

It looks very wintry here. At least the temperatures are higher than what we'd have in January. Single digits tonight, but we're in the 20s F. in the daytime.

Spring seems very far away.
--Judy M.

donmcc
03-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Southwestern Ontario got dumped on as well. Four to six inches on the car this morning (which may have been over two nights, as I hadn't been out yesterday). And it is covered in the white stuff again.

Of course, when I was a wee one, gramma used to say about March: "In like a lion, out like a lamb." I'm hoping that is true, and means spring will just be around the corner.

(It actually makes sense, if you think that March is probably going to have a warm spell sometime in it, as most winter months do. If that spell is at the start, then a cold blast will follow. But if the warm period comes late, it might just blend into a natural spring. Oh well, we can always hope.)

Don McCahill

marlene
03-02-2005, 09:14 PM
An act of pure affection of course ? thanking you for arranging such a nice day for them.

LOL! Like when they're so happy we added a spoonful of tuna to their dinner, and they wipe their muzzles on our pants. Or on the furniture. Sasha especially likes to rub her muzzle on the dining room tablecloth.

A lot of our snow has already melted. What a gyp!

mxh

marlene
03-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a nearly five year old boy here.

But you don't have to go out in the snow to clean up after him. <LOL>

mxh

Jonathan
03-02-2005, 10:09 PM
what happened to your scanner? Gonna get a new one???I got a new CPU, a G5, which doesn't have a SCSI interface. I explored all of the options for keeping the scanner working, and none of them looked better than just buying a new scanner. When I finish a couple of jobs in progress (neither of which requires a scanner), I'll shop for a new one.I was wondering how you guys were doing when I saw all the stuff about the rain on the news...glad your jury-rigging is working...Thanks!

ktinkel
03-03-2005, 10:44 AM
We got 8 inches or more yesterday and overnight. My husband sweeps and shovels it as it's falling, so it's hard to estimate how much we got. … Spring seems very far away.Doesn’t it, though! Now they’re telling us three other storms are massing and may cause more snow over the weekend.

It’s very cold for southern Connecticut, too — 15 or 20 degrees below normal.

But it is March, so I am sure (on some level!) that there will be an end to winter. And at least the sun sets later so the afternoons are not so dreary.

terrie
03-03-2005, 01:59 PM
>>kt: And now they are predicting waves of snow between this evening and Saturday, maybe more on the weekend.

Ewww...ugh!!!

Terrie

terrie
03-03-2005, 02:02 PM
>>jonathan: I got a new CPU, a G5, which doesn't have a SCSI interface. I explored all of the options for keeping the scanner working, and none of them looked better than just buying a new scanner. When I finish a couple of jobs in progress (neither of which requires a scanner), I'll shop for a new one.

I seem to remember that now...when you start looking, I've been very pleased with my firewire Epson 2450 which I bought to replace my scsi Umax S-??

Not sure what the current Epson scanners are...ummm...4990 or something like that...

Terrie

ElyseC
03-03-2005, 07:55 PM
But you don't have to go out in the snow to clean up after him. <LOL>True. The closest equivalent is standing there begging, "Please aim, Ben! Pleeeease!" then spend time cleaning up the, um, oversquirts.

I get no sympathy from my siblings on that, BTW. I was talking to my Miami sis one night while getting the kid ready for bed. She busted up laughing when I stopped telling her whatever I was telling her, so I could plead (the above, word for word) with the kid. She wasn't the one having to clean it up!

djb
03-04-2005, 02:00 PM

It's glorious here in western Canada. Above freezing, sunny, melt water running down the streets and car wash operators drooling.

Of course, this IS March... anything could happen.

djb
03-04-2005, 02:02 PM
True. The closest equivalent is standing there begging, "Please aim, Ben! Pleeeease!" then spend time cleaning up the, um, oversquirts.

When we moved in here Nick was five... and the previous owners had carpeted the basement bathroom.

That lasted about a month, and I ripped it out and installed lino.

:-\

ElyseC
03-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Of course, this IS March... anything could happen.Indeed it could here, too.

Was up above 50 today and today I saw robins, red-wing blackbirds and, most glorious of all and for the first time ever in my life, a wild bald eagle flying over us as I took my boy to preschool this morning! Until today I'd only seen bald eagles in captivity, ones injured in the wild and rescued, but unable to recover enough to return to the wild. Yes, I grew up here, but had NO idea BEs also call this home. I guess they were a lot more rare 27 years ago.

ElyseC
03-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Carpeted bathrooms, particularly around a toilet, give me the heebie jeebies. Our master bath has carpeting in it (house came that way), but linoleum in the toilet nook. I can see us eventually cutting out the carpet by the tub and steam shower and replacing it (along with the toilet nook) with linoleum as a single piece. The rest of the master bath carpet will probably stay, right in front of the closet wall, because it's nice to have in the dressing area. (It's a huge bathroom, larger than our old "master" bedroom in the CA house!)

marlene
03-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Please aim

Some of them NEVER learn. <g>

mxh

marlene
03-04-2005, 05:14 PM
I always make sure we have bread, milk, and dessert. I can go crazy if there aren't any cookies in the house!

mxh

Mike
03-05-2005, 12:50 AM
With New England’s third storm in a week, I wonder how others are faring.

Well, it's been so bad in England that they had to call out the army. If you look at"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4318657.stm

you'll see that the snow has been so deep as to be clearly visible on the ground. <g>

ktinkel
03-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Well, it's been so bad in England that they had to call out the army. If you look at"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4318657.stm

you'll see that the snow has been so deep as to be clearly visible on the ground. <g>Not visible? Actually? Oh, dear! <g>

Our wave of three storms seems to have just gone away. Good thing. We can still see snow everywhere.

ElyseC
03-06-2005, 01:22 PM
We can still see snow everywhere.70 degrees here today when we went out to eat lunch.

ElyseC
03-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Some of them NEVER learn. <g>Thankfully I married one who did, but I know not all the women in my family have been so fortunate. <g>