PDA

View Full Version : QuarkXpress 5 for FREEEEE!!!!

imatt
11-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Want QuarkXpress 5 for FREE!!! Get the latest Computer Shopper here in GB then. I was shocked to see Xpress 5 on the cover disk!!!!

You have to register it before the 25th of Jan 2007 though which seems reasonable.

This is a good move by Quark. Sure, it could mean many people could use ver 5 and not bother with ver 7. However, it gets Xpress into more hands and will get many more potential upgraders.

It seems Quark are following in the footsteps of Serif (PhotoPlus, PagePlus, Drawplus) and ACD Systems (Canvas) in giving away free stuff.

Perhaps Adobe should release Photoshop 6, Ilustrator 10 and InDesign 2.0 on cover disks????

Michael Rowley
11-18-2006, 02:01 PM
it gets Xpress into more hands and will get many more potential upgraders

Hmm. Get QuarkXpress 5 free; you can upgrade for only £800! I can't see it myself, though I did try out PagePlus before buying PagePlus 11 (for less than a hundred quid).

imatt
11-18-2006, 02:24 PM
No, you can upgrade to ver 7 for "just" £292.58 incl. VAT, if you quote Computer Shopper when phoning Quark. A lot less than £800 Michael!!!

Michael Rowley
11-18-2006, 02:59 PM
you can upgrade to ver 7 for "just" £292.58 incl. VAT

So you can: I didn't turn to that page in Computer Shopper, but now I've looked for it I've found it. Previously I only saw the Shopper's '£880'.

iamback
11-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Want QuarkXpress 5 for FREE!!! Get the latest Computer Shopper here in GB then. I was shocked to see Xpress 5 on the cover disk!!!!Can't get that here, but I'll be on the lookout for other magazines' disks... Quite often these kinds of deals are pushed to several magazine publishers at the same time; exclusives are rare.

cirquelle
11-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Want QuarkXpress 5 for FREE!!! Get the latest Computer Shopper here in GB then. I was shocked to see Xpress 5 on the cover disk!!!!
Is this offer limited to GB? For example, I'm in the US at present. If I can get a copy of the disk, I wonder if Quark would allow me to register it.

Which issue of Computer Shopper UK is this? I don't think I've ever seen that magazine here, but I have seen other computer magazines from the UK.

Shane Stanley
11-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Sure, it could mean many people could use ver 5 and not bother with ver 7.

Indeed it could -- but for reasons that I suspect are entirely different to what you're thinking. Version 5 was not one of Quark's good days.

Shane

imatt
11-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Is this offer limited to GB?

Could well be. The registration details point to www.euro.quark.com (http://www.euro.quark.com).

That said, there is a nimber to call if outside GB for the Xpress 7 upgrade, so perhaps its also available to those outside GB.

It's the latest copy of Computer Shopper by the way...

iamback
11-20-2006, 06:24 AM
Could well be. The registration details point to www.euro.quark.com (http://www.euro.quark.com)."Euro" doesn't exactly suggest Great Britain, does it? ;)

Actually, http://www.euro.quark.com redirects to http://euro.quark.com (!) and opens with: Welcome to euro.quark.com
Please select your language:
English | Français | Deutsch

imatt
11-20-2006, 07:22 AM
I only mentioned this as a potential risk to Quark.

Sure, Xpress 5 was not too hot from what I hear too.

However, some using an old version of PagePlus or Publisher could see Xpress 5 as a big step up. Esp if they've not used previously used Xpress or equiv.

That said, a bold move by Quark.

Michael Rowley
11-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Which issue of Computer Shopper UK is this?

Computer Shopper [UK], No. 227, January 2007.

There are a number of restrictions on the upgrade, but none that I can see (the text is minute!) refer to where you are. It is only for the Windows International English version of XP 7, and only for personal use.

cirquelle
11-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Could well be. The registration details point to www.euro.quark.com (http://www.euro.quark.com).
I didn't see anything about QuarkXpress 5 at that url. I guess that's just where you go to register it.

Do you know if the software has to be registered before it will work?

cirquelle
11-20-2006, 08:04 PM
That said, a bold move by Quark.
Or maybe one of desperation ;)

cirquelle
11-20-2006, 08:08 PM

There are a number of restrictions on the upgrade, but none that I can see (the text is minute!) refer to where you are. It is only for the Windows International English version of XP 7, and only for personal use.
Thanks for the issue number. That will help if I can find it.

I didn't realize this was Windows only. I wonder how many use QuarkXpress for "personal" use.

iamback
11-21-2006, 02:40 AM
Or maybe one of desperation ;)Just standard marketing these days. Many, many software companies now give away older versions of their software on cover CDs; mostly registration is required (not always). Often these packages are found on the CDs of several magazines, too. Only occasionally there is an exclusive, often accompanied by a special upgrade deal - but cheap upgrades are common, too.

It's a way to get the software in the hands of more people, and get more people used to using their software - even if they don't upgrade, if they get (another) job they may influence buying decisions to buy what they already know how to use.

iamback
11-21-2006, 02:42 AM

There are a number of restrictions on the upgrade, but none that I can see (the text is minute!) refer to where you are. It is only for the Windows International English version of XP 7, and only for personal use.Thanks - but what is "XP 7"? I know of XP, and of XP SP2 only.

(Going out in a bit to see if I can find it...)

Michael Rowley
11-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Marjolein:

but what is "XP 7"?

In the context, Quark XPress v. 7. We were talking about upgrading from the free Quark XPress v. 5, which is available free to readers of the issue of Computer Shopper in question.

iamback
11-21-2006, 08:20 AM
In the context, Quark XPress v. 7. We were talking about upgrading from the free Quark XPress v. 5, which is available free to readers of the issue of Computer Shopper in question.I know what we're talking about. ;) But "XP" in the same phrase as "windows" to me suggests "Windows XP" - I read it as being compatible only with a particular version of Windows XP.

Meanwhile... I've got it!

I woke up with a mental image this morning which made me realize that I had after all seen Computer Shopper on a shelf here, somewhere. Somewhere in the city. But where? So I went downtown to hunt around and when I was about to give up and go home, passed Waterstone's and ran in. Bingo! (That, and other British computer magazines. I should have known...) I ended up splashing on a couple of magazines with cover CDs or DVDs. Lots of useful tools, not quite free (I do have to pay for the magazines, after all) but for very little money.

cirquelle
11-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Just standard marketing these days. Many, many software companies now give away older versions of their software on cover CDs....
Yes, but remember we're talking about Quark here. The company that won't let you transfer a license, charges $50 to replace a lost disk, said they would never release a competitive upgrade and took down their forums when there were too many complaints about version 6.x (yes, they're back now), etc. Quark doesn't (or didn't) do free ;)

I agree that this is a smart move. I'm just surprised and feel that Quark was probably driven to this by declining sales.

iamback
11-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I agree that this is a smart move. I'm just surprised and feel that Quark was probably driven to this by declining sales.There are all sorts of reasons for these deals. A ergular by now is NetObjects Fusion - regularly you get cover CD freebies but it isn't really a force in web development tools, not any more; so it's clearly a move to keep things running a bit (it uses its own "database" to store your web site, an effective lock-in mechanism: once you're into NOF it's hard to switch to any other tool). The latest PcPlus I just picked up today has NOF 8 on its cover DVD.

Ashampoo, a tools maker, seems to use it as a standard marketing method though; I already have Ashampoo BurnYa! Audio CD 2 from a cover CD (a very good tool to create real audio CDs from practically any kind of audio files). Now one magazine I got today has Ashampoo Firewall 1.1, another Ashampoo Burning Studio 2007 - both worth a look at least. All completely free, online registration is all that's needed. And these are new programs - upselling or cross-selling seems to be their marketing method.

On one of my PCs I have O&O Defrag 2000 Freeware edition (downloaded, I think; and installed because Norton Speedisk would no longer display an interface after installing SP4 on Win2000) - very good technically but without a lot of options. Now one cover DVD has O&O Defrag 4 Professional (an exclusive), with an upgrade deal for version 8.5 for $30 (that shows the gap in versions!). I'm definitely going to try this. One of their big competitors is Diskeeper (for which I have one paid-for license - more capable than the freeware O&O version I have currently installed - but I can't install it on more than one computer).

That's just a few examples and different marketing models. Most magazines that do cover CDs or DVDs have a mix of exclusive and non-exclusive free software; some completely, free like the ones I mentioned, some subscription-based applications that come with a 6- or 12-month subscription, for instance. Many also have demos or shareware - free to try out but a license costs money.

So what about the QuarkXPress (5.01 after running the included updater) deal? This is an exclusive one, it turns out, with a registration URL that has the magazine's name in it. Like many exclusives, the magazine has a short (2-page) tutorial in its editorial pages. And like some other offers, it's also several versions behind the current one. But the description in the magazine does not mention any upgrade offer.
So is it the same kind of seemingly desperate marketing move that NetObjects Fusion has been using for a few years now? Wait till they come out with a new version, and see if QuarkXPress 6 appears on a cover disk somewhere... ;)

Michael Rowley
11-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Marjolein:

But the description in the magazine does not mention any upgrade offer

Computer Shopper describes the offer on p. 220 of No. 227.

iamback
11-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Computer Shopper describes the offer on p. 220 of No. 227.Ah, thanks - I completely missed that page! (Somehow it looked more like an ad page than an editorial page to me, so I skipped right over it.)

cirquelle
11-22-2006, 08:19 PM
There seem to be a lot more free software CDs/DVDs on magazines in Europe than in the US. The main one here is Maximum PC but that is mostly games and utilities.

I emailed Computer Shopper UK to ask if that magazine is for sale in the US. If they ever answer I'll post back. Hope so because I'm not planning to go back to Europe soon.

iamback
11-23-2006, 05:04 AM
There seem to be a lot more free software CDs/DVDs on magazines in Europe than in the US. The main one here is Maximum PC but that is mostly games and utilities.Strange... what about PC Magazine? Half the reason I took a subscription for the Dutch version is I didn't want to miss their excellent cover CDs.

At the news stands, I always check the magazines for what's on their cover CDs or DVDs (and before they were used, their cover floppy disks!). I've gotten some good software that way, some of which I still use after many years.

I emailed Computer Shopper UK to ask if that magazine is for sale in the US. If they ever answer I'll post back. Hope so because I'm not planning to go back to Europe soon.If not, get someone to mail you a copy maybe? (Not a copy of the CD, as it contains a unique serial # needed to register; you'd need the actual magazine, cover CD/DVD and all).

Michael Rowley
11-23-2006, 08:00 AM
Marjolein:

Strange... what about PC Magazine? Half the reason I took a subscription for the Dutch version is I didn't want to miss their excellent cover CDs

We've had this discussion before: I learned from that that CDs and DVD are no longer generally supplied with computer magazine in the USA. No one knew why.

cirquelle
11-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Strange... what about PC Magazine? Half the reason I took a subscription for the Dutch version is I didn't want to miss their excellent cover CDs.
The US version of PC Magazine is very different than the international editions. It's a skinny magazine printed on paper so thin that I have trouble turning the pages. That's one of the reasons I rarely buy it anymore. And no CDs. That's another :) I used to subscribe to the French version of PC Magazine mostly for the CDs. Then they stopped including the CDs and wanted a huge increase in the subscription fee just to get them. So I didn't renew.

If not, get someone to mail you a copy maybe? (Not a copy of the CD, as it contains a unique serial # needed to register; you'd need the actual magazine, cover CD/DVD and all).
I was thinking to do that. But I want to confirm that I can actually register it with Quark here before I go to the expense of buying it and shipping it overseas. I sent Quark an email too. Haven't heard from Computer Shopper UK yet.

ComputerShopper
11-28-2006, 08:34 AM
I was thinking to do that. But I want to confirm that I can actually register it with Quark here before I go to the expense of buying it and shipping it overseas. I sent Quark an email too. Haven't heard from Computer Shopper UK yet.

Hi,

Just to let you know that you can register the version of Quark on this month's cover disc from anywhere in the world. It has to be registered before 25th January 2007, though.

Enjoy!

Steve Haines
Computer Shopper

terrie
11-28-2006, 02:16 PM
SteveH: Just to let you know that you can register the version of Quark on this month's cover disc from anywhere in the world.Great! Thanks for letting us know...

Terrie

PeterArnel
11-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Euro" doesn't exactly suggest Great Britain, does it? ;)
No all we do is pay our taxes to u
peter

cirquelle
11-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Just to let you know that you can register the version of Quark on this month's cover disc from anywhere in the world.
Thanks for posting that.

Do you know if Computer Shopper UK is available for purchase in the US? I have not received a reply from my email to Computer Shopper.

ComputerShopper
12-01-2006, 06:43 AM
Do you know if Computer Shopper UK is available for purchase in the US? I have not received a reply from my email to Computer Shopper.

It is, but only in a few outlets in the big cities. Drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do...

By the way, what email address at Shopper did you write to?

Steve

Computer Shopper

ktinkel
12-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Do you know if Computer Shopper UK is available for purchase in the US?If you live near NYC, Boston, or another large city with an international newsstand, you might find a copy.

Some large Barnes & Nobles also have a good collection of international magazines — I used to find Eye and MacUser U.K. in ours (though it has been a few years). Perhaps Borders also has English magazines.

cirquelle
12-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Some large Barnes & Nobles also have a good collection of international magazines — I used to find Eye and MacUser U.K. in ours (though it has been a few years). Perhaps Borders also has English magazines.
Thanks for the suggestions, Kathleen, but I've already tried those. Barnes & Noble has a few British magazines, plus the two others you mentioned, but not Computer Shopper [UK]. Borders has none. I'm following up with Steve who's from Computer Shopper. If it's available here, he should know :)

Bo Aakerstrom
12-02-2006, 12:38 PM
I managed to track down what possibly was the last copy of Computer Shopper in Derby!

Now I've attempted to register the thing, but I am unable to get on to Quark's website (following the instructions in the magazine). I am just wondering if anyone else have managed to register?

Michael Rowley
12-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Bo:

FireFox couldn't find euro.quark.com/computershopper/ for me either, nor could it find eurostore.quark.ch/. . ., to which I was redirected. But going to euro.quark.com did get me to the Quark XPress 7 upgrade sight, which says that the upgrade is for any version of QXP before December 22. In other words, you don't have to have the QXP 5 from Computer Shopper. The price is £249 + VAT.

iamback
12-02-2006, 03:02 PM
FireFox couldn't find euro.quark.com/computershopper/ for me either, nor could it find eurostore.quark.ch/. . ., to which I was redirected.quark.ch is registered by Quark Deutschland GmbH but I cannot ping it. I do get redirected there from http://euro.quark.com/computershopper/ - plus a load of parameters that actually look plausable.

It looks like a DNS glitch - hopefully a temporary one or we won't be able to register. And I do believe the QuarkXpress 5 copy needs to be registered to be able to upgrade.

But going to euro.quark.com did get me to the Quark XPress 7 upgrade sight ...How did you get there? Or can you give a complete URL or direct link? I cannot find it.

I did find http://store.quark.com/quarkstore/ which has a link for "Europe" - also to the inactive http://eurostore.quark.ch/ (though this is http, not https).

I found other dead links at the site (quark.com) as well... I hope they can fix things soon!

Bo Aakerstrom
12-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Me too!

I'll keep trying on and off and will let you know what transpires.

ComputerShopper
12-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Hi,

There's been a problem with the registration site at Quark's end since Friday. They've assured us that they're on the case, but it may not be up and running until tomorrow.

Apologies for any inconvenience. I'll post again when the site's up again.

Steve Haines
Computer Shopper

Michael Rowley
12-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Steve:

This one's working, I think:

http://euro.quark.com/simplyfaster/uk/index.php?keycode=K357

It doesn't tell you how to register the QXP version from Computer Shopper, but it does give details of the upgrade offer.

iamback
12-03-2006, 07:52 AM
This one's working, I think:

http://euro.quark.com/simplyfaster/uk/index.php?keycode=K357Thanks, but...
What it tells me is:You don't have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player!No, that's not working!

Grrr. :mad: I want QuarkXpress - I certainly don't want Flash.

iamback
12-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Hi,

There's been a problem with the registration site at Quark's end since Friday. They've assured us that they're on the case, but it may not be up and running until tomorrow.

Apologies for any inconvenience. I'll post again when the site's up again.Thanks, Steve. But I do hope I won't need Flash just to register QuarkXpress 5! That's not allowed on any computer of mine. See also my reply to Michael Rowley.

ComputerShopper
12-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Hi,

Just to let you know that the Quark registration site should be up and running again now. Apologies for any inconvenience.

iamback: you won't need Flash to install it.

Regards,

Steve
Computer Shopper

Bo Aakerstrom
12-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Yep, it does work just fine now!

This will bring back memories (that's what I hope anyway...) as I haven't touched Quark since version 4!

Michael Rowley
12-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Bo:

This will bring back memories (that's what I hope anyway...)

If you want to upgrade to Quark Xpress 7, Quark will very kindly let you do it at the same numerical price as Americans—only the currency will be pounds sterling, not United States dollars. Quark is using the Adobe principle that 1 USD = 1 GBP, regardless of the current money market!

Bo Aakerstrom
12-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Bo:

If you want to upgrade to Quark Xpress 7, Quark will very kindly let you do it at the same numerical price as Americans—only the currency will be pounds sterling, not United States dollars. Quark is using the Adobe principle that 1 USD = 1 GBP, regardless of the current money market!

The software industry has got a lot to learn from the makers of musical instruments; we usually pay a higher number of GBP over here compared to the number of USD the same instrument is priced at in the US...

AlanHK
12-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Just to let you know that you can register the version of Quark on this month's cover disc from anywhere in the world. It has to be registered before 25th January 2007, though.
Enjoy!
Steve Haines
Computer Shopper

Steve,

I'm in Hong Kong and very eager to take advantage of this offer. I tracked down a place that sells Computer Shopper, and despite it being at about double the UK cover price, IT DOESN'T INCLUDE THE CD!

Who distributes it in Hong Kong, and do you send them with the CD?

pandau
12-31-2006, 02:13 AM
Has anybody already upgraded to XPress 7 over the internet?
If I try it, they tell me that there's no Uprgade available...

I went to my account and tried to upgrade. Or does it only works via telephone?

If you want to upgrade to Quark Xpress 7, Quark will very kindly let you do it at the same numerical price as Americans—only the currency will be pounds sterling, not United States dollars. Quark is using the Adobe principle that 1 USD = 1 GBP, regardless of the current money market!How does it work to get the USD-Price?
Especially with a German account ;-)))

Greetings, Ralf

Michael Rowley
12-31-2006, 06:38 AM
Ralf:

If I try it, they tell me that there's no Upgrade available

I seem to remember that the upgrade at the advertised special price finished on December 22 or 23. The UK site quoted the price in sterling, the US site in dollars; the price in the rest of the EU would depend on how Quark markets its programs, but I suspect it divides the world into North America, EU, and the rest.

The telephone business was only to register the version given away by Computer Shopper.

groucho
01-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Quark always did their marketing and licensing by geographies. To the point where a US buyer of QXP4 could not legally use the product outside of the US--even if they were carrying it with them on a laptop on a plane. And Quark US wouldn't even sell the US version to an American overseas. At least, in Quark's opinion of their license.

Michael Rowley
01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
'Groucho':

in Quark's opinion of their license

A licence with US conditions of use may not be valid in other jurisdictions (and vice versa). And it's the jurisdiction in which the program is used that counts, not the nationality of the user. Programs nowadays (at least, expensive ones) may come with licences for a dozen countries, all printed with minuscule type.

groucho
01-03-2007, 01:57 PM
As I said, Michael, that was Quark's position on their license. What foreign courts would hold would be pretty meaningless, since Quark's license terms also include the choice and terms of venue for disputes, and Quark (as far as I know) still will not make any sales except by geography.

Neither foreign courts nor bootlegging affect their stated contract terms, and the license they choose to offer. They can't stop me from using it in Beijing, but they can revoke the license and refuse to make upgrades available. If you want to pay the court costs to try fighting that, you feel free to do so.

Nonsense like that was one good reason some folks switched to PageMaker.

cirquelle
01-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Has anybody already upgraded to XPress 7 over the internet? If I try it, they tell me that there's no Uprgade available...
You have to call Quark to upgrade and ask for the "Computer Shopper QuarkXpress 5 Windows special offer." You can't upgrade online.

I seem to remember that the upgrade at the advertised special price finished on December 22 or 23.
I don't know about the price, but I think you can still upgrade. The magazine article said:

If you order your upgrade before 22nd December 2006 you'll also receive a book of 250 QuarkXpress 7 tips and tricks.
So I think the 22nd December deadline was just for a free book.

cirquelle
01-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Did anyone from the United States register Quark 5.0? When you enter your address, you can't choose United States (or America) for Country because those countries are not listed in the Country pull-down menu. So I registered with a U.S. address in a European country :) I also tried to register on Quark US but it said that the serial number was invalid.

imatt
01-13-2007, 11:57 AM
More good news!!! Computer Shopper's sister mag, PC Pro is now also giving away a copy of QXP 5. A second chance for those who missed the original deal!!!

There's also a tutorial within the magazine, which may be of interest.

Kelvyn
02-02-2007, 12:03 AM
You can also buy copies of QXP5 on Ebay - copies of the PC Pro disk! See this article (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/103261/update-pc-pro-cover-disc-selling-for-2295-on-ebay.html) which also explains where anyone can legally buy a copy of the PC Pro cd at a cost of £10 for UK residents (more for residents of other countries).

iamback
02-02-2007, 06:41 AM
See this article (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/103261/update-pc-pro-cover-disc-selling-for-2295-on-ebay.html) which also explains where anyone can legally buy a copy of the PC Pro cd at a cost of £10 for UK residents (more for residents of other countries).Now that's intersting - since the Computer Shopper cover disk was supposed to be an "exclusive". :rolleyes: Another exlusive if the same thing, then? Hrmph.