PDA

View Full Version : "Wild" animals...

terrie
02-25-2005, 11:56 AM
>>kt: Took him up to the woods up in Marin, got him out of the car to walk into the woods away from the road, and the moment his feet hit the rough ground with pine needles and other natural debris, he jumped, yelped, and grabbed his feet in pain. So she brought him back to Berkeley, and had to find a rescue place to adopt him.

ROFL!!!

Everyone might appreciate this *extremely* funny story of a squirrel and beet pulp (remains of sugar processing that many horse people feed their horses), here's a little bit of it:

"And for those of you that think A Squirrel's Place is In The Wild, don't think we didn't try that...his first Christmas, we thought we'd give him his first lesson in Being a Wild Squirrel by letting him play in the undecorated Christmas tree. His reaction was to shriek in horror, scutter frantically across the floor and go try to hide underneath the nearest border collie. Since then, the only way he will allow himself to be taken outside is hiding inside Mummy's shirt and peering suspiciously out at the sinister world.

So much for the re-make of Born Free in San Dimas. So secure is he about his place in the world that on more than one occasion, I've caught him sitting on his fat, smug little bottom, making faces out the windown at our neighborhood (very frustrated) red-tailed hawk---like as not clutching a cashew in one paw and a bit of mango in the other. "

Read the full version: http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/squirrel.shtml

Terrie

ElyseC
02-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Hilarious story! San Dimas?? As in San Dimas, CA where we have a whole bunch of friends, where Ben's old daycare was and all just 10 minutes from our old Claremont house? Probably so, because San Dimas is a major horse town, complete with lots of riding trails and it's not uncommon to see a horse being ridden through your average neighborhood there.

ktinkel
02-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Everyone might appreciate this *extremely* funny story of a squirrel and beet pulp … Read the full version: http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/squirrel.shtml

TerrieVery good story. I never heard of anyone harboring a squirrel before. I am quite fond of squirrels, myself, but most people around here consider them to be pests.

I like their antics. Especially not that we really have fixed the bird feeder so they cannot get at it!

terrie
02-25-2005, 02:06 PM
>>elysec: Hilarious story! San Dimas?? As in San Dimas, CA

I'm sure it's CA...I *love* the story...I laugh everytime I read it...

Terrie

terrie
02-25-2005, 02:07 PM
>>kt: Very good story. I never heard of anyone harboring a squirrel before. I am quite fond of squirrels, myself, but most people around here consider them to be pests.

This one is so cute...very different looking from our local squirrels...but maybe it's his fat belly...'-}}

Terrie

marlene
02-25-2005, 05:00 PM
I think squirrels are adorable, but my dogs think they are lunch.

There are a couple of albino squirrels on our block, but so far I haven't been able to get any good photos of them. They are more cautious than the gray squirrels, who will come up to us and beg (if the dogs aren't around!).

mxh

terrie
02-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Albino squirrels! Very interesting...I didn't think albino's lasted very long in the wild...

Terrie

Anne Wright
02-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Terrie,
Read the full version: http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/squirrel.shtml

ROFLMAO!
(And hunting for a source of Depends in my size....)

Anne

ktinkel
02-26-2005, 04:07 PM
I think squirrels are adorable, but my dogs think they are lunch.

There are a couple of albino squirrels on our block, but so far I haven't been able to get any good photos of them. They are more cautious than the gray squirrels, who will come up to us and beg (if the dogs aren't around!).I have never encountered albino squirrels, but when we bought our loft in SoHo in 1972 we found a colony of albino cockroaches!

Even more unnerving than the regular kind.

terrie
02-27-2005, 01:14 PM
>>annew: ROFLMAO!

I just *love* the story...'-}}

Terrie

marlene
02-27-2005, 08:59 PM
We've been seeing albino squirrels for years. There are at least two that live nearby.

When I worked in downtown DC, there were a few albino squirrels living in the park near McPherson Square.

mxh

marlene
02-27-2005, 09:03 PM
albino cockroaches

Oh, yes, I've seen my share of those! But I knew an entymologist who told me they were not actually albinos. They were just ordinary roaches at a certain stage of development -- after they shed their shells, and before the new ones hardened and darkened.

Like soft-shell crabs, I suppose, although not as appetizing.

Even more unnerving than the regular kind.

I'll say. They really creeped me out. I could see their inner workings through their translucent outsides.

mxh

ktinkel
02-28-2005, 05:47 AM
Oh, yes, I've seen my share of those! But I knew an entymologist who told me they were not actually albinos. They were just ordinary roaches at a certain stage of development -- after they shed their shells, and before the new ones hardened and darkened.I think I read that somewhere, too, but rejected it as not being very amusing. <g>

Proudest Monkey
02-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Oh, yes, I've seen my share of those! But I knew an entymologist who told me they were not actually albinos. They were just ordinary roaches at a certain stage of development -- after they shed their shells, and before the new ones hardened and darkened.

Like soft-shell crabs, I suppose, although not as appetizing.

I'll say. They really creeped me out. I could see their inner workings through their translucent outsides.

mxh

**shudder**....eewww!

Franca
02-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Like soft-shell crabs, I suppose, although not as appetizing.Thanks for the image ... lol! :-p

terrie
02-28-2005, 10:42 AM
>>marlene: I could see their inner workings through their translucent outsides.

Ewww...who would look that closely...ugh!!! '-}}

Terrie

marlene
02-28-2005, 11:36 AM
I think I read that somewhere, too, but rejected it as not being very amusing. <g>

Agreed!

I always lie if it's funnier than the truth. <g>

mxh

annc
02-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Agreed!

I always lie if it's funnier than the truth. <g>

mxhI prefer to call that 'slight exaggeration". It makes me feel better, and my Irish background makes that acceptable. <g>