PDA

View Full Version : Creating ASCII Art

Franca
02-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Last edited by annc : Today at 10:18 PM. Reason: Tried some ASCII art in the [CODE] tags, but ended up with a lopsided birthday cake.What is it they always say about gifts? "It's the thought that counts." <BG>

annc
02-22-2005, 09:47 PM
What is it they always say about gifts? "It's the thought that counts." <BG><ggg>

But it would be wonderful to be able to do ASCII art again. I wonder if we could fiddle with the font...

Franca
02-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Indeed. I was always fond of doing ASCII art on the old CompuServe forums.

donmcc
02-23-2005, 04:20 AM
Franca

If you want to try ascii art, try using the [pre] tags.

Don McCahill

ElyseC
02-23-2005, 09:42 AM
<ggg>

But it would be wonderful to be able to do ASCII art again. I wonder if we could fiddle with the font...Oo! Yes! Somewhere I have an archive of an ASCII art creation app that I think Jonathan found. I enjoyed playing with it so much that I paid to get the full version. If only I could remember its name, so I could look for it and see if there's an OSX version.

Jonathan
02-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Oo! Yes! Somewhere I have an archive of an ASCII art creation app that I think Jonathan found. I enjoyed playing with it so much that I paid to get the full version. If only I could remember its name, so I could look for it and see if there's an OSX version.I'm doing some digging on my disk and in my brain, but it hasn't floated to the surface yet :-)

I remember writing to the author to ask if we could get a current version for our lib, and I never heard back.

ElyseC
02-23-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm doing some digging on my disk and in my brain, but it hasn't floated to the surface yet :-)I could swear "email" was part of its name...

Jonathan
02-23-2005, 12:05 PM
I could swear "email" was part of its name...Here it is, and there is apparently an OS X version (1.6.9):

http://www.sigsoftware.com/emaileffects/

ElyseC
02-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Here it is, and there is apparently an OS X version (1.6.9)
Indeed there is! Wahoo!

And my old registration code works with this version, too -- I just unearthed the old email with the reg info!

Jonathan
02-24-2005, 10:52 AM
And my old registration code works with this version, too -- I just unearthed the old email with the reg info!

Cool!

_ _ _ ____
| | | \ / | | _ \
| | | \ / | | | \ \
_ | | | V | | |_/ /
| | | | | |\ /| | | __/
\ \_/ / | | V | | | |
\___/ |_| |_| |_|

ktinkel
02-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Cool!Wonder why narrow pieces force the browser window to sprawl like that. Nasty.

Jonathan
02-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Wonder why narrow pieces force the browser window to sprawl like that. Nasty.I'm not seeing that happen in Safari.

[Checking with Firefox]

Hmm. I don't have that problem here. You're saying that Elyse's and my posts containing the Code window force a horizontal scroll bar on your browser? What view are you using?

annc
02-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Indeed. I was always fond of doing ASCII art on the old CompuServe forums.Yep. Our sysop antlers never looked the same after we weng all fonty.

ktinkel
02-24-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm not seeing that happen in Safari.

[Checking with Firefox]

Hmm. I don't have that problem here. You're saying that Elyse's and my posts containing the Code window force a horizontal scroll bar on your browser? What view are you using?I am using Hybrid. However, I just checked in Threaded and in Linear; same result.

I attached a screenshot. You can see the normal width of all the windows by the ones above and below. The one with your ASCII art goes off the page, even though the image doesn’t require the space.

It is weird that neither you nor Ann sees this.

ElyseC
02-24-2005, 01:03 PM
It is weird that neither you nor Ann sees this.Nor do I. What odd behavior!

ElyseC
02-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Yep. Our sysop antlers never looked the same after we weng all fonty.And just to bring said beloved <g> adornments over into the new world and new millenium...
====================================

\ || /
\\ / // //
\ \\ // // ||
\\ // // || //
|| // || // //
\\// // // //
\ | // // //
\ \ / | / | \\/ |
| || | / / \ /
\ \| \ / | / /
\ \/ /_/ \
_\ ______ /_
/ ___/ \___\
/ / \ \
| | | |
| | | |
- -

Official Sysop Antlers
====================================

Edit: Hm...well, seems even the CODE tags don't flawlessly preserve this particular masterpiece. Sure is closer than either of those "other" web interfaces ever came, though.

Molly/CA
03-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Long live ASCII Art!!!! I'm downloading e-mail effects as I speak.

Jonathan
03-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Long live ASCII Art!!!! I'm downloading e-mail effects as I speak.Show us somethin'! (If you use the [CODE] tags it will set in a monospaced font.)

Molly/CA
03-12-2005, 08:34 AM
I'll show you a link is what I'll show you --not sure I can handle posting this ambitious piece (pun intended) of ASCII art or if it's appropriate--

http://www.starterupsteve.com/boob.txt (http://www.starterupsteve.com/boob.txt)

There's much on the site that's worth wasting some time on -- here's a charmer from the old Wireframe Studio site (non-suggestive --suitable for children of all ages):

http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/wireframe.html (http://www.starterupsteve.com/boob.txt)

Molly/CA
03-12-2005, 09:19 AM
>If you use the [ CODE ] tags it will set in a monospaced font.

That part works OK but how do you get the messager to not replace single CRs with double ones? (I think you could see the picture as it should be by copying and pasting into Notepad or the like--)

On the First Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

A Partridge in a Pear Tree

_

('>

/))@@@@@

/@"@@@@@()@

@@()@@()@@@@

@@@O@@@@()@@@

@()@@\@@@()@@

@()@||@@@@@

@@||@@@

||

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jonathan
03-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Guess I had that coming, didn't I?

And for you (Flash required):

Throw me somethin', mister! (http://www.mardigrasunmasked.com/mardigras/content/kreweofelvispanoFlash.htm)

Jonathan
03-12-2005, 10:06 AM
how do you get the messager to not replace single CRs with double ones?I'm not certain, but different browsers seem to have varying compatibility with the message editor in this forum software. What browser do you use?

When I paste your ASCII art into a text editor, I see a mess of tabs to the left of the tree. Are those supposed to be there, or is that also happening unintentionally in the forum message editor?

Molly/CA
03-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Guess I had that coming, didn't I?

(giggle) That was funny. And reminds me, our son got a NetFlix subscription and brought us a great DVD about Trekkers. Star, that is. Just our level by the time we're to dinner and TV-- (Supersize me was interesting too-- wonder what will be next...)

Molly/CA
03-12-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm not certain, but different browsers seem to have varying compatibility with the message editor in this forum software. What browser do you use?

Mozilla.

<When I paste your ASCII art into a text editor, I see a mess of tabs to the left of the tree. Are those supposed to be there, or is that also happening unintentionally in the forum message editor?

This is getting seriously weird. Some of the gaps between CRs and line beginnings were certainly spaces, but the lines behaved so strangely I gave up trying to take out the extra CRs. I'll play with the pear tree in the editor window and see what I can figure out.

Molly/CA
03-12-2005, 09:36 PM
When I paste your ASCII art into a text editor, I see a mess of tabs to the left of the tree. Are those supposed to be there, or is that also happening unintentionally in the forum message editor?

Ok, I figured out a way to take out the extra CRs (manually) and keep the shape of the tree so it looked right in the writing window --but in the preview window all the leading spaces were taken out so that all the tree characters were flush left to the window!

Wonder if there's some invisible character or near-invisible character that could sub for the spaces... like...

Jonathan
03-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Ok, I figured out a way to take out the extra CRs (manually) and keep the shape of the tree so it looked right in the writing window --but in the preview window all the leading spaces were taken out so that all the tree characters were flush left to the window!

Wonder if there's some invisible character or near-invisible character that could sub for the spaces... like...Sounds like you're approaching the point of diminishing returns...

If you're really interested in persuing this, I'd try a different browser to see if you get a better result.

I know that Safari and Firefox on the Mac each interact differently with the BB's editor.