PDA

View Full Version : Hey y'all!

LHaggarty
02-24-2005, 03:02 AM
How wonderful that this forum has migrated to the 'net. For those of you who aren't ancient and crusty (and those who are, you know who you are!), I am a former DTP sysop from the late 80's and early 90's. I worked for Thom Hartmann until I made the move to manage the Natural Medicine Forum, which I did until the end of the 90's.

It's funny how things come full circle. I would not be where I am if it weren't for the DTP Forum. I met my husband, James Haggarty, at a DTP Forum dinner at Macworld Expo in San Francisco in '90, fifteen years ago this month. James and I were married a year later, and after many adventures are now living in northern Kentucky with our two daughters, Colleen (13) and Allie (10.)

James works as Operations Manager at the Cincinnati Enquirer (a 300k daily), and I am a stay at-home mom and part time farmer. We have horses, goats, and poultry (81 chickens and counting!) on our 45 acre farm. I must admit I do very little DTP these days, mostly for non-profits for whom I volunteer. But the love of the process is still there, and I am pleased to find you all.

So, off I go to read some threads! Cheers to all.

Laura

ktinkel
02-24-2005, 05:14 AM
… living in northern Kentucky with our two daughters, Colleen (13) and Allie (10.)Colleen is 13?!! Yow. Is she still sweet and charming?

James works as Operations Manager at the Cincinnati Enquirer (a 300k daily), and I am a stay at-home mom and part time farmer. We have horses, goats, and poultry (81 chickens and counting!) on our 45 acre farm. I must admit I do very little DTP these days, mostly for non-profits for whom I volunteer. But the love of the process is still there, and I am pleased to find you all. Wonderful to see you here, and to have an update on your adventures.

don Arnoldy
02-24-2005, 05:50 AM
Hey, kiddo-

I met my husband, James Haggarty, at a DTP Forum dinner at Macworld Expo in San Francisco in '90, fifteen years ago this month.I was the guy across the table from you two.

Good to see you again!

LHaggarty
02-24-2005, 06:28 AM
Colleen is 13?!! Yow. Is she still sweet and charming?

She is, as is her sister Allie. I can upload images if you'd like, or can direct you all to some albums I have at dotphoto.com. Let me know if anyone's interested.

Colleen is in 7th grade this year (hard to believe, I know the last time some of you saw her was at 8 months old at a DTP Forum dinner in Boston.) She's my "arts & literature" girl, while her sister is my "math & science" girl. Both bring great joy to our lives, and being a typical mom I could go on for hours about how wonderful they are, but will spare you all. <g>

Laura

LHaggarty
02-24-2005, 06:31 AM
I was the guy across the table from you two. Good to see you again!

Hi Don!

I remember you being there, it was quite a night. I'll always remember first meeting James and Garry Fairbairn; Brad and I were sitting on a couch in the lobby of the (I think) Marriot, and James walked up and made some sexist remark along the lines of "Hey Brad, who's the good looking woman you're with?" <sigh>

I should have known it would be all downhill from there! (hee hee)

Laura

JohnC
02-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Does anyone remember the _PRINTED_ DTP Forum newsletter? Some cartoons and articles? Where there some photos from that dinner?

I think I may still have a copy at home. I'll see if I can find it and scan it.

JohnC

LHaggarty
02-24-2005, 12:17 PM
I don't remember a printed newsletter, nor photos from the dinner <yikes!> But I still have my MacWomen Hit List button (I was #42.)

Laura

ElyseC
02-24-2005, 12:58 PM
...after many adventures are now living in northern Kentucky with our two daughters, Colleen (13) and Allie (10.)Aiiiiiiii!! They just cannot be that old already! Holy moley, has it been that long since I saw you and yours??

Kentucky, eh? How does the Canajun accent play with Dixie accents? <g>

If you haven't caught it here yet, our little family of 3 now live in rural, southeastern Iowa, 15 minutes from where I was born and raised. :-)

Steve Rindsberg
02-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Small world, this. Don't know when I've been on one smaller.

I live more or less w/in sight of James' place of employment.
Look north up Elm to the TV tower atop the hill, pan left .25 mile, smile and wave.
See? That's me waving back.

JohnC
02-24-2005, 07:52 PM
I have the newsletter in hand. DTPForum News Volume 1, Issue 1, Summer 1990

Contributors: Thom Hartmann (HiResOp), Dan Brogan, Don Arnoldy, Skye Lininger, Christina O'Connel, Brad Walrod, Dianne Breen.

News: Nancy McCarthy had a baby, Benjamin August McCarthy, on April 30. WOW! Ben is almost 15!

All night 6-month anniversary party in conference Room 2 on June 12.

Photos of Don Arnoldy, Christina O'Connel, and Brad and Laura at the DTPForum Tea in San Francisco in April 1990.

So, maybe not the infamous dinner, but the same cast of characters.

John

LHaggarty
02-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Small world, this. Don't know when I've been on one smaller. I live more or less w/in sight of James' place of employment.

Hi Steve!

I've always said that there are only 2000 people in the world, all the rest are just those cardboard cutouts they used to use when they made baseball movies (now of course, all the extras are CG'd in.)

I'm sure if you'd like a tour of the Enquirer some night James would be happy to show you around (he works nights, supervising pretty much everything that happens at night, including all production.) Being there when the presses start up is pretty amazing, it sounds like a fleet of 747s taking off.

Let me know, and send me your phone number in email and we'll set it up. And if you'd like to come visit us at the farm, you're more than welcome. We're in Berry, south of Williamstown off of 75, about a 50 minute ride from the city.

Cheers,

Laura

LHaggarty
02-25-2005, 03:18 AM
This link leads to an album at dotphoto.com with some views of the farm and the girls:

http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewAlbum.asp?AID=1565153

Laura

LHaggarty
02-25-2005, 03:33 AM
And this link leads to a photo of the four of us when we lived in Duluth, MN with our critters (before moving to KY):

http://home.fuse.net/lhaggarty/MN%20Horses.jpg

Laura

ktinkel
02-25-2005, 05:20 AM
And this link leads to a photo of the four of us when we lived in Duluth, MN with our critters (before moving to KY):

http://home.fuse.net/lhaggarty/MN%20Horses.jpg

LauraNice shot. You all look great.

JohnC
02-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Dot photo is asking for a password for the album.

John

LHaggarty
02-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Hmmm. You should be able to get in as "Guest." Let me poke around it a bit further...

L

ElyseC
02-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Great shot!

JohnC
02-25-2005, 10:20 AM
It says, "To Sign in as a Guest, please enter the User Name and Password for the dotPhoto Member's photos you wish to view."

I do have my own dotphoto account, but if I use my name/password it says there is a "security violation."

John

Franca
02-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Couldn't see the other photo, but this one's nice! Some day I would like to visit Kentucky bluegrass country, my horse's "ancestral home". (Though she herself is California born and raised. <g>)

djb
02-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey, you!

We wanted to send you a Xmas card but I f'd up and couldn't find your snail mail address. Send it to me on the back-channel, wouldja?

Steve Rindsberg
02-25-2005, 09:30 PM
>>I'm sure if you'd like a tour of the Enquirer some night James would be happy to show you around (he works nights, supervising pretty much everything that happens at night, including all production.) Being there when the presses start up is pretty amazing, it sounds like a fleet of 747s taking off.

That would be serious coolth on several levels. My grandfather used to be Managing Editor there, back when that meant "The guy who makes sure the presses work and all". And I've just been at a meeting of the Japan America Society where we're trying to revive the old 501 club meetings; people would gather at a member's place of business for a tour right after work. I suspect a tour of the paper would be of GREAT interest. Let's tall about that, eh?

I don't think I have your email address but if you'd squirt me a line at steve at-sign-thingie pptools fullstop com we can carry on from there.

LHaggarty
02-26-2005, 09:54 AM
It says, "To Sign in as a Guest, please enter the User Name and Password for the dotPhoto Member's photos you wish to view."

I do have my own dotphoto account, but if I use my name/password it says there is a "security violation."

John

Stupid website, I'll see if I can fix that...

<muttering darkly>

L

LHaggarty
02-26-2005, 09:56 AM
I don't think I have your email address but if you'd squirt me a line at steve at-sign-thingie pptools fullstop com we can carry on from there.

Will do! I mentioned it to James and he said he'd be delighted to show you around (didn't mention the group, but I bet it would be fine, as long as they don't mind coming in at night.)

Laura

Steve Rindsberg
02-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Cool ...

I won't mention the tour idea to the group until I've passed it by James, of course.

Molly/CA
03-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Laura,

I always thought of Cincinnati as being in Ohio but the Streets & Trips map says it's now flowed (or flown?) into KY! Do you cross the state line (and the river) to get to the newspaper?