PDA

View Full Version : Font used in vocabulary book

BradW
02-23-2005, 11:48 AM
I need to match the faces used in this vocabulary book. (My redesign using Stone Sans and Serif didn't fly, so I'm stuck with making it ugly.)

I know that the title font is Cooper Black (<sigh>), and I've found about a dozen Adobe fonts that come pretty close to the text face, but I thought I'd see if anyone could help me find an exact match.

Note that they really like the boldness of the bold words, so I'll need a family with a black or heavy weight (or a really bold bold).

Here's hoping my scan shows up, is readable, and isn't too big.

Brad

Richard Hunt
02-23-2005, 02:29 PM
I know that the title font is Cooper Black (<sigh>), and I've found about a dozen Adobe fonts that come pretty close to the text face, but I thought I'd see if anyone could help me find an exact match.

Note that they really like the boldness of the bold words, so I'll need a family with a black or heavy weight (or a really bold bold).

I think it's Adobe's Cushing Medium family, or possibly the Bitstream equivalent (and I know the Bitstream version has a Heavy variant).

Richard

tphinney
02-23-2005, 07:24 PM
If it's not Cushing, you should do a close-up scan of just a few words at much higher resolution. That was really not a good enough scan to be sure.

Admittedly, I could use the same widths-analysis approach I did on the Bush National Guard memos, but that was a *lot* of work!

T

BradW
02-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks Richard and Thomas. Sorry about the resolution; let's see if the attached is any more readable.

Cushing isn't a bad match, but I hope that this scan better displays the thin strokes and unique "y"and "w" characters in the heavy weight.

Brad

tphinney
02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Hmmm. It's got that super-elliptical thing (squaring of round forms) going on. Maybe ITC Zapf International, or Melior?

BradW
02-24-2005, 04:12 PM
ITC Zapf International is a good match for the y and w, but not so much for the a, e, and o. Melior certainly has the same feel, although the characters don't seem to be as wide as the font I'm trying to match. I thought I could go with it, except there doesn't appear to be a heavy weight.

(Have I mentioned how ugly I think this page is, and how much I object to matching it?)

Oh well, next week I get to start working on the-book-that-must-not-be-named, and I get to make that one look as good as I can!

Brad

ktinkel
02-24-2005, 05:38 PM
ITC Zapf International is a good match for the y and w, but not so much for the a, e, and o. Zapf International was my best guess, too — for what it is worth. I could see the other characters didn’t work. (Maybe it is a really pathetic knockoff of Zapf International?)

(Have I mentioned how ugly I think this page is, and how much I object to matching it?)No, but I assumed that is what you thought!

Oh well, next week I get to start working on the-book-that-must-not-be-named, and I get to make that one look as good as I can!And thank god for the good projects that make up for the bad!

Stephen Owades
02-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Try Zapf Book, which appears to be a good match to nearly everything in your sample. The lowercase "y" in the italic isn't quite right, but they may have been using an obliqued roman instead. You can test sample strings in the handy Monotype myfonts site here (http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/zapf-book-lt/). I used to use this face fairly often in the seventies. It was released earlier than Zapf International, which might be considered a revision or refinement of Zapf Book.

BradW
02-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Yep, that's it. Zapf Book and Demi is the perfect match. Thanks so much.

Interesting that you should mention the seventies, as I tried (until blue in the face) to convince the client that that's the decade in which this book looked like it was created and that they really needed to update the design (to no avail).

Brad

Richard Hunt
02-25-2005, 03:05 AM
Carmina BT family from Bitstream is the nearest I can find. Body is Carmina Medium, the very emphasised is Carmina Black.

See attached pdf.

BradW
02-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Carmina BT certainly looks close, but look especially at the lowercase e for differences.

ITC Zapf Book and Demi are the matches. I was going to try to give myfonts.com my business, since the site was so useful in letting me try different sample text, but they only seem to sell the face as part of a $700 CD (or $400; I could never figure that out).

But Linotype sells individual weights for $22, with no apparent bundle for all eight weights, so I guess I'll just get the Book, Book Italic, Demi, and Demi Italic. Actually, I haven't decided that yet: I'm inclined to buy the whole family, and my client is paying, but I have to put it on my credit card at the outset. :-)

I tried finding it at fonts.com, but as usual I had trouble searching for it there.

Brad

marlene
02-25-2005, 05:48 AM
Looks to me like myfonts.com sells the single weights for $21 each.

You can also try Phil's Fonts (www.philsfonts.com). I didn't see it on their website, but "Not every font we have is displayed on this website."

terrie
02-25-2005, 01:05 PM
>>bradw: Oh well, next week I get to start working on the-book-that-must-not-be-named, and I get to make that one look as good as I can!

OOOOHHHH!!! How exciting!

Terrie

BradW
02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
I'll be darned if I could find it sold that way at myfonts.com. Linotype had it at $22 per weight, but they must offer a discount for x number bought at once, as four weights came to $80.

Brad

ElyseC
02-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Oh well, next week I get to start working on the-book-that-must-not-be-named, and I get to make that one look as good as I can!Oo, yay! <rubbing hands together> Mine's been on pre-order with Amazon for a while now. :-)

marlene
02-25-2005, 04:47 PM
I just searched for "Zapf Book" at myfonts.com.The first hit is for the family, the second hit is for the individual fonts.

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/zapf-book-ef/

But you got a slightly better deal at Linotype, anyway.

mxh

Stephen Owades
02-25-2005, 10:01 PM
MyFonts seems to have several flavors of "Zapf Book." The one I looked at is called "ITC Zapf Book" and only comes in a complete family package. But there are others that are offered individually. Have a look at this "family tree (http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/itc/zapf-book/familytree.html) " for all the options.

BradW
02-26-2005, 07:47 AM
I was just working from the page you sent me. In any case, The fonts have been purchased (from Linotype), the sample pages have been reset, and I don't have to think about this for at least another week. Thanks again.

Brad

BradW
02-26-2005, 07:50 AM
Oo, yay! <rubbing hands together> Mine's been on pre-order with Amazon for a while now. :-)

Same here, as I like to get a copy the same day everyone else does. My free copy, which will arrive later, traditionally gets sent to my Mom. And my copy of the deluxe version of this latest book will go directly up on the shelf (after I peruse the extra signature of art).

Brad