PDA

View Full Version : Font Management: Font Agent Pro

michelen
02-23-2005, 08:28 AM
I guess this is the correct place to discuss font management.

When we adopted OSX last year, we had to say goodbye to ATM. FontBook was not an option, so after some research I decided to go with Font Agent Pro. It's been mostly good, though InDesign occasionally gets confused and starts looking for fonts that don't exist (Universal Times instead of Universal News with Commercial Pi, for instance). And if the fonts don't auto-activate fast enough, InDesign gets tired of waiting and crashes.

With the new version 3, these problems seem to have gone away. The interface is more elegant, auto-activation is much, much faster, and it even tells you which fonts are being auto-activated.

However, we bought the workground edition so that I can maintain our font library from my workstation. The way this is supposed to work is that I keep all of the fonts on my workstation, and through sharing, everyone else has access to them. It seemed like the way to go for us--I can check new fonts and add them to the library once, instead of maintaining fonts on 11 separate workstations.

The only problem is, auto-activation does not work if the fonts are not installed locally on each workstation. Insider says that it should, but it doesn't. We're a little miffed.

Is anyone else using Font Agent Pro workgroup edition? Does it work for you?

Best,
Michele

ktinkel
02-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Is anyone else using Font Agent Pro workgroup edition? Does it work for you?No, but you have piqued my interest. I have been trying to use Suitcase XI and am endlessly frustrated. Hard to create sets, slow to activate fonts manually, and not always up to auto-activation.

But I don’t need the workgroup version of anything. Wonder how similar the standard Font Agent Pro is? Guess I’ll go look.

Thanks for the tip. Sorry I can’t help you (though I think someone else mentioned this program recently, so perhaps someone can help).

michelen
02-23-2005, 09:23 AM
KT,

I think you will be very pleased with Font Agent Pro version 3. Easy to make libraries and sets, nice WYSIWYG font player, fast auto-activation. There is a 30-day demo available at the Insider web site. Try it, you'll like it.

Best,
Michele

ktinkel
02-23-2005, 10:16 AM
I think you will be very pleased with Font Agent Pro version 3. Easy to make libraries and sets, nice WYSIWYG font player, fast auto-activation. There is a 30-day demo available at the Insider web site. Try it, you'll like it.Thanks. On my way.

michelen
02-24-2005, 11:19 PM
KT,

Have you investigated Font Agent Pro?

We had a visitor this evening--a half-grown raccoon appeared on the back porch at dinner time. I gave her some corn chips. She liked them. Are you ready to come home now? :)

Best,
Michele

Mike
02-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Wonder how similar the standard Font Agent Pro is? Guess I’ll go look.

Please report back. I'm using Suitcase XI at present and, although it mostly works, I share your frustrations.

annc
02-24-2005, 11:56 PM
It's been mostly good, though InDesign occasionally gets confused and starts looking for fonts that don't exist (Universal Times instead of Universal News with Commercial Pi, for instance).That's an InDesign trick; it happens to me, and I don't currently use any font manager, having given up on Suitcase X fairly early in the piece,and discovered that I could manage without one.

However, I'm interested to hear about Font Agent Pro and will follow this thread with interest.

ktinkel
02-25-2005, 05:15 AM
KT,

Have you investigated Font Agent Pro?

We had a visitor this evening--a half-grown raccoon appeared on the back porch at dinner time. I gave her some corn chips. She liked them. Are you ready to come home now? :)

Best,
MicheleWe had a friend in Berkeley who had a raccoon as a house pet for a while. He got to be too destructive — spent idle time unraveling her rattan furniture, stuff like that; and then one day made himself a bubble bath using shampoo, but never turned off the water, so my friend came home to a house full of bubbles and an inch-deep in water. So she decided she should return him to the wild. Took him up to the woods up in Marin, got him out of the car to walk into the woods away from the road, and the moment his feet hit the rough ground with pine needles and other natural debris, he jumped, yelped, and grabbed his feet in pain. So she brought him back to Berkeley, and had to find a rescue place to adopt him.

Here we have mainly birds, including cormorants, egrets, the occasional osprey and eagle, and once, a wild turkey. And we had a hedgehog, an amazing-looking critter who set on our deck staring at us inside. But for some reason, no raccoons, though we had them in Westport. I suspect they don’t find much they like right on the water.

As for Font Agent Pro — downloaded the demo yesterday, and hope to look at it soon (I have disabled Suitcase already, but paused to do the latest security update to Panther).

michelen
02-26-2005, 05:17 PM
That's an InDesign trick; it happens to me, and I don't currently use any font manager, having given up on Suitcase X fairly early in the piece,and discovered that I could manage without one.

However, I'm interested to hear about Font Agent Pro and will follow this thread with interest.
Thanks! That's good to know. Hopefully, Adobe will figure out how to fix this in the next release.

I am very happy with version 3 of Font Agent Pro. It's fast and stable, easy to configure, easy to use. The auto-activation has gotten better with each release, and is very good in this new version, at least as InDesign is concerned. There are auto-activation plug-ins for InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop (CS), and also for Quark 6.

The font sharing doesn't work in the workgroup edition, but that's a separate issue. I've sent a detailed bug report to Insider, and was told they would give the information to their development team and get back to me.

I'll be interested to hear what KT thinks of it FAP after her frustrations with Suitcase.

Best,
Michele

Cristen Gillespie
02-27-2005, 09:49 AM
I have 8 days left on my Suitcase demo. Please hurry! <BG>

ktinkel
02-27-2005, 11:51 AM
I have 8 days left on my Suitcase demo. Please hurry! <BG>Ooops. Yes, ma’am! I shall do my best (as Ben Stein always says!).

danakay
03-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here (and to OSX). I'm about to hit send on my order for FontAgent Pro, but for some reason feel a need to hear the verdict. <grin>

ktinkel
03-25-2005, 07:09 AM
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here (and to OSX). I'm about to hit send on my order for FontAgent Pro, but for some reason feel a need to hear the verdict. <grin>Oh, dear! Well, I do not have a verdict, but in spend-thrift fashion, plan to order FontAgent Pro myself. I cannot test it in 30 days, and what the heck — it’s only money, right?

I have seen enough to decide it is at least somewhat better (easier to use, more elegant) than Suitcase, which I have already invested in (and can always update if Extensis releases a new and better version).

Fonts are too important in my work to mess around. Anyway, that’s what I said to my spouse/chancellor of the exchequer when I defended my decision.

FWIW. Most of OS X is cool, btw. It seems to be mostly fonts that it messes up.

danakay
03-25-2005, 09:25 AM
There seems to be enough people irritated with Suitcase's interface that I'm inclined toward FontAgent Pro, as well. If their program's usability is half as good as their web site, I'm sold!

A friend passed along this great resource on OSX fonts that I found incredibly useful. http://tinyurl.com/48yqx

In it they recommend Font Card as a supplemental utility for viewing and comparing groups of fonts. An added bonus is that apparently Unsanity (produced of Font Card) is working with Insider (producer of FAP). I believe a beta version has been incorporated into v3 if FAP. (Don't quote me on that!)
http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/fontcard/