PDA

View Full Version : The old guy reminisces...

don Arnoldy
02-23-2005, 08:01 AM
With the occasion of our 16th birthday, followed by the big move, I've been going through some old files.

In mid 1995, the DTP Forum decided to open a new more-exclusive area, and called it "the Professional Publishing Forum." On Sept 16, 1995, we opened the forum to an intial group of 100 beta-testers/forum-seeders. Here is the news flash that greeted them:
.================================================= ============
. THE PROFESSIONAL PUBLISHING FORUM WELCOMES YOU
.================================================= ============
.HEY, DAVE! <hammer> <saw>
. / <hammer>
. / Huh? Whaaaat? <hammer>
. \ Yeah? \
. \ \ \
.Since you're early, How about giving me a hand here?
. /
. / Who me? I don't *do* hardware!
. \ <applauding> \
. \ \ \ <stumble>
. <timber>
.<Sigh> <crash>
. / We got any more light bulbs?
. / \
. \
._____________
. \__________ Eec hit me!!
. WELCOME B| /| Did not! \
. |TA TESTE\| / Did too!!! \
._____________ | / \
. \________| | \
. \ |
. \| Where are the aspirin?
. | \
. | \
.Welcome, folks! Make yourselves at home in the message sections, and please
excuse the dust and construction debris as we put finishing touches on this
place. We'll be getting things into the libraries over the next couple of weeks
- if you have any neat stuff you'd like to contribute, or want to suggest some
can't-live-without file from over on DTP that you think should be here, please
let us know.

--don (and all the harried staff)

NOTE: The three Daves in the flash were Dave Balderstone, Dave Saunders and Dave DeBronkhart.

michelen
02-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Don,

Oh my goodness, I remember that!
1995?
My, how time flies.

Best,
Michele

curveto
02-23-2005, 09:50 AM
With the occasion of our 16th birthday, followed by the big move, I've been going through some old files.

In mid 1995, the DTP Forum decided

<feeling-all-warm-and-fuzzy>Ah</feeling-all-warm-and-fuzzy>

ElyseC
02-23-2005, 09:55 AM
. \__________ Eec hit me!!
. WELCOME B| /| Did not! \
. |TA TESTE\| / Did too!!! \
._____________ | / \
. \________| | \
. \ |
. \| Where are the aspirin?
. | \
. | \
Gee, my memory's fuzzy...which one of you Dave mugs falsely accused me of battery? Fess up, now!

terrie
02-23-2005, 10:16 AM
LOL!!!

Terrie

djb
02-23-2005, 12:11 PM
"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Heh.

I finally subbed to Design Tools Monthly a couple of weeks ago after getting it free in PROPUB.

djb
02-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Gee, my memory's fuzzy...which one of you Dave mugs falsely accused me of battery? Fess up, now!

It was, uh... deBronkart! Yeah, I'm SURE it was... Wasn't it?

JohnC
02-23-2005, 02:27 PM
So..., where is deBronkart now? Ran into him online about a year, or so, ago.

Anyone hear from Phil Gaskill? Last I heard, he was conducting an orchestra in NY.

I see Ole Kvern now and then. Just ran across Mike Arst over in the Adobe User to User Forums.

JC

curveto
02-23-2005, 03:00 PM

Anyone hear from Phil Gaskill? Last I heard, he was conducting an orchestra in NY.

I see Ole Kvern now and then. Just ran across Mike Arst over in the Adobe User to User Forums.

JC

Hey! It's the man! (are you still with ADBE? ...I lost track)

JR

ktinkel
02-23-2005, 04:11 PM
So..., where is deBronkart now? Ran into him online about a year, or so, ago.He’s been here; haven’t seen him for a couple of weeks, though.

Anyone hear from Phil Gaskill? Last I heard, he was conducting an orchestra in NY.He is conducting a small orchestra in NYC. His wife Anahit is helping manage it, and plays cello. They live in the Village, not far from where Brad used to live. He promises to come by here some day, but is very busy. Instead of doing book production, now he is a copy editor.

I see Ole Kvern now and then.Do see if he will stop by, just for old times’ sake. How old is Max? Must be an adolescent by now!

Just ran across Mike Arst …Oy! Do ask him to stop by. It has been long years …

djb
02-23-2005, 04:36 PM

JC

I had an email from deB sometime back... I can't find it right now, IIRC he was asking about Haggarty's wherabouts. Last time I saw Ole was at AppleScript Pro in Monterey last spring, but he's active on the Indesign list.

Good to see you here, JC. Who's the cutie to your right?

;-)

Stephen Owades
02-24-2005, 09:42 AM
I've sent a message of invitation to my old friend and classmate Dave deBronkart (not "DeBronkhart"), so perhaps he'll drop by here.

JohnC
02-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi JR.

Yes, still with Adobe.

I believe that Max is 10 or 11.

Cutey is Kim (you can find the full photo at http://pbase.com/jcornice/cruise05)

I'll mention this place to Ole and Mike.

John

ktinkel
02-24-2005, 11:00 AM
I've sent a message of invitation to my old friend and classmate Dave deBronkart (not "DeBronkhart"), so perhaps he'll drop by here.That’s good — it has been awhile since he has stopped by (he is a member, btw).

I don’t think he has seen us actually open and public.

LHaggarty
02-24-2005, 12:23 PM
James and I spoke with deB about a month ago. Fate being what it is, seems he and his DW moved to Minnesota about six months after we left. I forget where he's working now (I'm a Gumby) but I know it sounded great. He and James chatted about something technical, and then spent time reminiscing about the Chaos Dot. Anyone remember that?

L

LHaggarty
02-24-2005, 12:26 PM
So, just to remind my aging brain, when exactly did the DTP Forum start? I remember joining when CompuServe was actually The Source, which was (I think) early '89, when I worked at Scitex with Howard White (who was the one who turned my onto the whole thing.)

Laura

ktinkel
02-24-2005, 12:29 PM
So, just to remind my aging brain, when exactly did the DTP Forum start? I remember joining when CompuServe was actually The Source, which was (I think) early '89, when I worked at Scitex with Howard White (who was the one who turned my onto the whole thing.)

LauraDecember 12, 1989.

CIS acquired the Source in 1990, I think (they were competitors before that). I had memberships in both, and ended up with two CIS memberships.

Now Howard White — another wonderful name from the past. Have you kept up with him?

ElyseC
02-24-2005, 01:16 PM
It was, uh... deBronkart! Yeah, I'm SURE it was... Wasn't it?Could be, but for all I know it was you, fine sir, and you're attempting to bluff me. <g>

LHaggarty
02-24-2005, 03:12 PM
No, I haven't heard from Howard White in years, more's the pity. He was a brillant curmudgeon, but deep down a dear. If anyone knows where he is, please let me know.

Laura

Stephen Owades
02-24-2005, 04:25 PM
That’s good — it has been awhile since he has stopped by (he is a member, btw).

I don’t think he has seen us actually open and public.
Yes, he told me that he he pre-registered in the pre-public days, but hadn't been told that the new place was open to the public yet. He said he'd try to drop by.

ktinkel
02-24-2005, 04:49 PM
… but hadn't been told that the new place was open to the public yet. He said he'd try to drop by.Ouch! That was rude of us.

I can only plead press of hysteria! <g> With luck, deB will not think badly of us. Thanks for contacting him.

terrie
02-25-2005, 12:16 PM
>>johnc: http://pbase.com/jcornice/cruise05

You've got some wonderful shots in there...I love the one with the saffron wall and row of shutters...some of the sunset shots are breathtaking...

Terrie

JohnC
02-25-2005, 01:22 PM
That wall was on St Thomas. Very stressful morning. Kim wanted to try some shopping. But there is nothing of interest to me in the shops there. I don't drink. I hate jewelry. I don't want to buy a time share. I was looking around at all these great buildings that had been totally defiled by being turned into jewelry and liquor stores. I was not enjoying things. Finally took a walk a couple of blocks back where all these great buildings were in great condition. But Kim wasn't very comfortable up there away from the crowds only seeing some drunk folks staggering around begging. And I only had a small point and shoot camera with me that day.

Still, go some of the best shots of the trip there.

John

terrie
02-25-2005, 02:15 PM
>>johnc: That wall was on St Thomas. Very stressful morning. Kim wanted to try some shopping. But there is nothing of interest to me in the shops there. I don't drink. I hate jewelry. I don't want to buy a time share.

LOL!!! I've never cruised the Carribbean as I've always thought it would have to be *very* boring...I see I was right...'-}}

The last cruise ship I was on was quite a long time ago...it was a Cunard line ship sailing from NYC to off the coast of Africa to see the long eclipse of the sun...

>>And I only had a small point and shoot camera with me that day.

You did a fab job with what you had...I love the color of the buildings...

Terrie

ktinkel
02-25-2005, 04:43 PM
No, I haven't heard from Howard White in years, more's the pity. He was a brillant curmudgeon, but deep down a dear. If anyone knows where he is, please let me know.

LauraMe, too. I really respected (and liked) Howard. A dear, as you say; and as smart as blazes.

Your hubby is a sweety, too. Do give him my very best!

djb
02-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Cutey is Kim

You should have cropped the avatar pic exactly opposite...

<d&r>

djb
02-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Could be, but for all I know it was you, fine sir, and you're attempting to bluff me. <g>

Oh yeah, sure. Just like that money order you sent me for the accellerator card (that never arrived)?

<d&rvvf>

djb
02-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Laura

Hey Laura! Did you know about this forum already or did my email to James the other day actually get through?

I haven't talked to Howard since I was was shopping for a copydot scanner and he was still with Scitex. Nexpo Orlando IIRC.

PS: Tell JAH that PrintWest is in protection from creditors for the next 100 days or so... he should have my number if he wants to call. Much happening. We just got ANC back as a newsprint supplier... THAT should get his attention!

How's the livestock?

LHaggarty
02-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey Laura! Did you know about this forum already or did my email to James the other day actually get through? How's the livestock?

I was completely unaware of this forum until James forwarded your email to me the other night (yes, it did get through.) Talk about a blast from the past...

The livestock are all well. At present count we have: 4 horses, 2 goats, 2 dogs, 5 cats, 15 guinea fowl, 35 adult standard chickens, 17 adult bantam chickens, 13 standard chicks, 7 bantam chicks, and 24 eggs in the incubator due to hatch TODAY!!! <g>

My mother thinks I have too many chickens. Heh heh. It was her father who first introduced me to poultry, so she has no real ability to argue with me about it. James takes eggs into work on a regular basis; I make up dozens which have green, white, light brown, and chocolate brown eggs. It's fun, the kids love it, hey, I could be raising swine!

Hee hee...

Laura

LHaggarty
02-26-2005, 10:09 AM

Will do! I know he plans to log in here when he gets a chance. Work keeps him pretty busy, and when he's not working he's out riding his horse. Has almost 550 hours on Macaskill (called Mac) since he bought him in '01. Never thought I'd wind up married to a cowboy, but there you go.

L

djb
02-26-2005, 10:20 AM
hey, I could be raising swine!

BTDT. Here's a repost:

Gather round, my children. Here is the absitively, posilutely TRUE
story of "Dave, the Pigs and the Electric Fence" (tm) and (c)
-------------------------------------------------
When I was in my early 20's (just about exactly 20 years ago) we had a
small hobby farm. We decided to buy 6 weaner piglets and raise them for
meat. The advice we had was to use an electric fence, so we bought the
charger unit, and a bunch of wire, posts and insulators, and set up a
nice pen in a muddy, but densely overgrown pasture that had been laying
fallow for a couple of years. Perfect for pigs.

My brother Brian and I built a crate in the back of his pick-me-up
truck (brother Sean had wrecked his leg in a motorcycle accident,
brother Gord is disabled, sister Suzanne was only about 5, and we
didn't like to let our mom near tools <g>), and headed for the
Cloverdale auction, where we managed to get a half dozen little porkers
at a good price. Then it was back to the farm, and with little ado we
managed to get them into the pen.

Now, pigs are very intelligent animals, and the little piglets quickly
learned to stay away from the fence. This particular fence sent a pulse
of electricity through the wires every 1.5 seconds, not enough to
injure, but a good jolt for a little piggy standing on the wet ground
of British Columbia's Fraser Valley. Pigs are *so* intelligent, in
fact, that we soon realized we could save power by turning the fence
*off* after they had learned that if they touched it, they got zapped.
Only thing is... Pigs are *so* intelligent, in fact, that we soon
realized we had to make sure we turned the fence *on* again every few
days, because if one of them accidentally touched it and *didn't* get a
zap, the fact was quickly communicated to it's piggy siblings.

Of course, one day, we left it a day too long and *all* the pigs
escaped.

It was a sunny morning, and I was hoeing the corn, dressed only in a
pair of gumboots and a pair of cutoffs, with my (then) long hair tied
back in a ponytail, when I heard a yell from Brian, "Oh SH*T! The pigs
are out!" I dashed out of the corn, and jumped the wooden fence into
the pasture. Brian yelled for Mom to turn the electric fence back on,
and the chase was on, Brian and I in the wet pasture, and Mom, Sean,
Gord and Suzanne leaning on the fence and watching in a mix of concern
and amusement.

Brian and I quickly developed a strategy of picking a single piglet,
herding it toward the pen, and then leaping at it, grabbing the back
legs, and quickly lifting and depositing it back inside the pen, where
it quickly learned that the power was back on.

We were down to two pigs left, and I was hot on the trail of mine. I
saw Brian catch his last one, flip it gently into the pen, and then
turn to try to head mine off.

The pig and I were racing down the long side of the pen, and I was
preparing for my leap. By this time I was covered in wet mud, and
sweating rather profusely. As we near the end of the pen, the pig made
a quick turn, right at the corner, along the short side.

I tried to do the same.

I failed.

My feet went out from under me and I landed on my side, in the mud,
with three wires under me. One just above my hip, one at the bottom of
my rib cage, and one under my arm.

Now, recall two things:

1- The fence was set to deliver a pulse of electricity every 1.5
seconds.

2- The fence was now turned on.

Time slowed to a near standstill as I realized that:

1- The fence was now turned on;

2- I had less than 1.5 seconds to get to my feet; and,

3- There was no way in hell I was going to make it.

ZAP!

While I suffered no injury, except to my pride (I was the only one
present who *wasn't howling with laughter), I discovered just how
effective a farm electric fence can be in aiding a young man to his
feet, quickly. When the jolt hit me, I was propelled nearly upright,
and then fell backwards, to land in a sitting position in the mud.

Fortunately, Brian had indeed managed to catch the last of the piglets,
and that part of the ordeal was over except for the laughter from my
family, which continues to this day.

Later that year, the pork was somehow even tastier than I had imagined.
--------------------------------------------------

ElyseC
02-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah, sure. Just like that money order you sent me for the accellerator card (that never arrived)?

<d&rvvf><WHAP!!>

ElyseC
02-26-2005, 12:20 PM
I make up dozens which have green, white, light brown, and chocolate brown eggs. It's fun, the kids love it, hey, I could be raising swine!And selling them together as "Dr. Seuss breakfast" - green eggs and ham! ;-)

djb
02-26-2005, 12:55 PM
<WHAP!!>

Have I just been an unknowing participant in the Fish-Slapping Dance?

;-)

ElyseC
02-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Have I just been an unknowing participant in the Fish-Slapping Dance?

;-);-))

terrie
02-26-2005, 01:10 PM
>>djb: ZAP!

ROFL!!! Great story...

My sister had a small farm in ME and I was visiting one Thanksgiving and she and her kids and I went to the movies (Blade Runner...kick butt good!) one afternoon...we returned to find that the piglets had escaped their pen (also surrounded by an electric fence that we later figured out had been grounded/shorted out by some long grass)...

I followed the piglet prints down the driveway (snow on the ground) and discovered that they'd (wisely) not gone onto the dirt road fronting the farm but had turned down a small footpath into the woods...

About that time, my brother-in-law arrived home and the chase was on!

My brother-in-law went down the footpath and was able to go around through the woods and got ahead of the piglets. He was able to turn them around and they all came trundling down the path (both my sister and brother-in-law were worried about moving them too quickly...never quite understood why but I think it had to do with them getting overheated)...

The big problem was how to turn them back into the farm rather than their going out onto the road...so my sister stationed herself at the corner where the path met the road and was frantically waving her arms to try and turn the piglets...

At this point, I'm laughing (as are my nieces) soooo hard that I can barely stand up when the first piglet spotted my sister and thought to himself...NO WAY!!!...and tried to turn around to head back up the path and into the woods...

Of course he ran into his brothers and sisters and they ended up kind of stopping to mill around trying to decide which way they should go...

My brother-in-law arrived huffing and puffing and we were able to keep them kind of corralled and got them back into their pen and got the electric fence back on...

Pigs are cool...'-}}

Terrie

LHaggarty
02-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Oh, great story! I knew a horse once who had the timing worked out on the pulse in the electric fence, and learned to roll under it when not charged. He was a sneaky little Arab...

Laura

LHaggarty
02-28-2005, 01:40 PM
And selling them together as "Dr. Seuss breakfast" - green eggs and ham! ;-)

The eggs are only green on the outside, although some folks to ask if the yolk is green.

We did have that happen once though. I had this one Easter Egger who was being pecked by one of the other chickens, and I sprayed her with a product called Blue Coat which was to discourage the pecking. However the hen must have groomed some of it off herself, and ingested it. Several days later James broke one of her eggs into a pan, and asked me "Are these eggs supposed to be green on the INSIDE?" The yolk itself had turned a sickly shade of green, making it very unpleasant looking.

Hee hee.

We held the eggs out for about a week, by which time the color had gone away.

L

terrie
02-28-2005, 01:41 PM
>>lhaggarty: I knew a horse once who had the timing worked out on the pulse in the electric fence, and learned to roll under it when not charged. He was a sneaky little Arab...

Oooohhhh...sneaky indeed...I hope Zo (my mare) never learns that...of course, having spent the last 2 months recovering from getting a piece of plastic from an electric fence along with a nail stuck under the pad of her right hind, I'm hoping she has no more run-ins with any fenching--this was such a freak thing as the place where I board her is very careful about their fields...

Terrie

PS...Did you ever get the password problem for your pics straightened out? I wanted to see your place...sounds lovely...but then, how could it not be with horses on the property...'-}}

annc
02-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Oh, great story! I knew a horse once who had the timing worked out on the pulse in the electric fence, and learned to roll under it when not charged. He was a sneaky little Arab...Funny that. Almost every escape artist I've ever known had some Arab blood. Too clever for their own good, some of them.

Shane Stanley
03-01-2005, 01:43 AM
Oh, great story! I knew a horse once who had the timing worked out on the pulse in the electric

Believe it or not, some sheep can do that. They sell special energisers that have the regular pulse plus another one at irregular intervals. Keeps them guessing, apparently...

Shane

ElyseC
03-01-2005, 09:45 AM
We held the eggs out for about a week, by which time the color had gone away.<G> First time I ever saw a green egg (shell) was a duck or goose egg from the tiny flock my sis and her husband once had. Two duck eggs made a prefect "3-egg" omelet and, to my considerable relief (I was a kid at the time) were not green inside. <g>

don Arnoldy
03-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Hey-

I was just running a google search on "desktop publishing forum"... and on page 6 of the results. i found a link to ufies.org (http://ufies.org/iambe/comment.cgi?pid=nov2699). Guess what I found:

Yup--It can happen
By: John Murdoch
Hi Fenchurch!

Yup--long distance romances can happen. Back before the Web everybody who was anybody was on CompuServe. A couple of friends on the Desktop Publishing Forum started having more and more offline (that is, by Email rather than forum messaging) conversations.

Now mind you--this was before anybody did this unlimited time for $24 stuff. These people were paying an average of $100 per month for Email and forum messages.

She ended up packing up and moving--all the way from New Jersey to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. She and her husband published a farm paper there (haven't talked with them for 7-8 years).

The best part was the wedding reception: we had it in chat. Everybody brought their favorite ASCII champagne glass drawings, and we had an incredibly convivial time.

Rick, evidently, has had his heart broken in an LDR. Okay--so what? You can get your heart broken dating a friend of your brother's. At least in an Email relationship you learn up front whether he can spell.... <smile>

Franca
03-01-2005, 06:12 PM
John Murdoch - there's a name I haven't heard in a long time! Anybody know what he's up to? I love the bit about finding out up front whether your potential mate can spell. <BG>

mact
03-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Last I heard he was programming in Japan but still officially residing in Pennsylvania.

djb
03-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Believe it or not, some sheep can do that. They sell special energisers that have the regular pulse plus another one at irregular intervals. Keeps them guessing, apparently...

That most dangerous of creatures... a clever sheep.

But notice they do not so much fly as plummet...

djb
03-04-2005, 02:21 PM
ROFL! James and Laura promoted to publishers of the Western Producer? Too funny!

deB
03-25-2005, 10:10 PM

You guys have been busted by a Google Alert.

Vain as I am (and proud of it), I set up a Google Alert on my own name. It usually stumbles across ancient stuff, but tonight it said "Hey look, they were talking about you on this "desktoppublishingforum" place." And JohnC's mention of "deBronkart" is what showed up.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I should have come here ages ago. (Oddly, tonight I wrote myself a note to remember to reply to Owades, then came home to find this alert. I find that my intuition has been up sharply in recent months.)

I no longer do DTP at all, but I'm getting really interested in the innards of PDF. Does anyone here know anything about PDF guts?

I have a feeling I should put on a poncho and duck before saying that... but hey, prudence and forethought and "think of the consequences" were never of much interest to me.

deB
p.s. Oh yeah, I remarried in 2000, partly to turn a Paris business trip into a honeymoon, and now I live in Minnesota, working for my best man. [Hm, that sentence creates an entirely twisted sense of cause and effect. How apt.] --2006 update: we're back in New Hampshire.

btw, whoever was saying "Seemed like a good idea at a time": this is what I refer to as "dog logic." (See above re forethought...)

ktinkel
03-26-2005, 05:44 AM
You guys have been busted by a Google Alert.Whatever it takes! <g>

Glad to see you here.

ElyseC
03-26-2005, 11:26 AM
You guys have been busted by a Google Alert.About darn time, bud! ;-)

don Arnoldy
03-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I should have come here ages ago.You got that right! It's good to see ya.

Since your conversation with Steve was in danger of drifting *on* to a relevant topic, I moved it to the Automating DTP section--where you might get a sensible answer.

Howard White
07-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Me, too. I really respected (and liked) Howard. A dear, as you say; and as smart as blazes.

My ears are burning. "Sweetie." "Curmudgeon."

I just found this place in the process of Googling myself, the ultimate self-indulgence.

You can find many ex-Scitex people at Etan Rozin's site, exscite.net. I just changed my email address there and got some replies.

I'm now involved in messing about with FOSS (Free and Open Source Software), running on Linux and on Mac. In particular, I'm in daily touch with a brilliant team of developers working on a product called Scribus, which is already better in many ways than Quark XPress and nipping at the heels of InDesign in some ways.

As it is, like most such applications, woefully in need of user documentation, I am, of course, writing a manual.

Nice to hear from so many of you. I finally closed out my "Classic" Compuserve account after noticing I was being charged $2.95 a month for something I never used.

You are now all collectively bookmarked.

HW

Franca
07-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi, Howard. Not sure if we ever crossed paths on the old CIS forums; we might have been haunting different corners of CIS!

I finally closed out my "Classic" Compuserve account after noticing I was being charged $2.95 a month for something I never used.Wish that were all I was paying for mine. Wonder if there's a way I could get that rate - I actually still use my CIS e-mail address.

Franca
07-21-2005, 03:56 PM
I envy you. It's way too late to turn my husband into a cowboy. <BG>

ktinkel
07-21-2005, 04:13 PM

You can find many ex-Scitex people at Etan Rozin's site, exscite.net. I just changed my email address there and got some replies.

I'm now involved in messing about with FOSS (Free and Open Source Software), running on Linux and on Mac. In particular, I'm in daily touch with a brilliant team of developers working on a product called Scribus, which is already better in many ways than Quark XPress and nipping at the heels of InDesign in some ways.

As it is, like most such applications, woefully in need of user documentation, I am, of course, writing a manual.

Nice to hear from so many of you. I finally closed out my "Classic" Compuserve account after noticing I was being charged $2.95 a month for something I never used.

You are now all collectively bookmarked.I am so glad to hear from you! And to hear that you are occupied so productively. (I should have known!)

We have had a thread or two about Scribus here — one member is producing an online magazine with it, and was documenting his adventures. Take a look at this thread: Make your own magazine with Scribus (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?t=532&highlight=scribus).

Welcome home, Howard! Very glad to see you.

ktinkel
07-21-2005, 04:14 PM
I envy you. It's way too late to turn my husband into a cowboy. <BG>I didn’t know you were trying to! <g>

LHaggarty
07-22-2005, 06:11 AM

Hey Howard, good to see you! Are you still in MA? I don't correspond with many of the gang at STA, but do hear from Meryl every now and then. And oddly enough, my husband's boss (VP of Operations at the Cinn. Enquirer) went to RIT with Stanley Rosen. Small world...

Laura

LHaggarty
07-22-2005, 06:19 AM
ROFL! James and Laura promoted to publishers of the Western Producer? Too funny!

And ahem, it was not New Jersey, but Cow Hampshire. Huge difference.

<g>

L

Molly/CA
07-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi, Howard. Not sure if we ever crossed paths on the old CIS forums; we might have been haunting different corners of CIS!

Wish that were all I was paying for mine. Wonder if there's a way I could get that rate - I actually still use my CIS e-mail address.

The word I heard was that if you call customer service and ask to cancel your account they will eventually, while trying to talk you out of it, offer this low low 5 hour a month service. Some people are paying more like $5.95 --I don't know what the difference is.

Since I'd pretty well spread my new ISP's email address around, leaving nothing but CS's 10 to 50 pieces of spam in my mailbox every day, I just cancelled the account. Even with Mailwasher it was getting to be a bore deleting it, and the CS filters, such as they are, seemed to be blocking a few legit pieces of mail too.