PDA

View Full Version : Justin Howes

ktinkel
02-22-2005, 07:54 AM
The St. Bride Printing Library has just announced the untimely death of Justin Howes, typographer, type designer, scholar, and writer.

Howes was best-known for his digital recreations of Caslon’s original 18th-century “Caslon Old Face” in all the original sizes. A subset of the ambitious collection was released in 1998 as ITC Founder’s Caslon (three sized sets: 12, 30, and 42 point). These can be seen at the MyFonts web site (http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/itc-founders-caslon/).

He actually created fonts for every original size, and sold them in three sets at his H.W. Caslon (http://www.hwcaslon.com) web site, where there is also some information on the entire project. The 1776 set contains the 14-point Caslon used to typeset the original U.S. Declaration of Independence in 1776, including the long-s, tied ct and st, swashes, ornaments, and other period characters.

John Berry’s article on the designer and the Founder’s Caslon project can be read at ITC Online (http://www.itcfonts.com/ulc/article.asp?sec=ulc&issue=25.3.2&art=caslon).

tphinney
02-23-2005, 06:34 PM
I "knew" Justin mostly in that virtual online sense, though we also met at a couple of conferences. We exchanged quite a few emails over the years - mostly I gave him some advice on making OpenType versions of his fonts. Recently we had an issue with our next-gen apps and ITC Founders Caslon, which he was a great help in debugging (it turned out to be something we fixed on our end).

Justin was a very sharp cookie, and always friendly, courteous, and quite focused on the actual users of his typeface and not just his own ideas about what he wanted to accomplish.

My last email from him was exactly two weeks before I heard of his passing. It feels very unreal, somehow.

Goodbye, Justin.

T

ktinkel
02-24-2005, 05:52 AM
I "knew" Justin mostly in that virtual online sense, though we also met at a couple of conferences. We exchanged quite a few emails over the years - mostly I gave him some advice on making OpenType versions of his fonts. Recently we had an issue with our next-gen apps and ITC Founders Caslon, which he was a great help in debugging (it turned out to be something we fixed on our end).

Justin was a very sharp cookie, and always friendly, courteous, and quite focused on the actual users of his typeface and not just his own ideas about what he wanted to accomplish.

My last email from him was exactly two weeks before I heard of his passing. It feels very unreal, somehow.

Goodbye, Justin.

TIt was shocking. I never met him, either, but had the impression he was probably only in his 40s. I gather he was a bit older than that, but still young, so it was a shock.

We have lost so many typographic eminences in the past decade (or so): Ed Cleary (at 48, in 1994), Walter Tracy (1995), Robert Norton (2001), John Dreyfus (2002), and undoubtedly others that I am forgetting right now. Not all exactly untimely, but all too early in some way. Makes me sad.

tphinney
02-24-2005, 08:33 AM
It was shocking. I never met him, either, but had the impression he was probably only in his 40s. I gather he was a bit older than that, but still young, so it was a shock.

No, he was just 40 or 41. Only a year or two older than I am.

We have lost so many typographic eminences in the past decade (or so)....

The other name that springs to mind is Al Lawson.

Regards,

T

ktinkel
02-24-2005, 08:59 AM
No, he was just 40 or 41. Only a year or two older than I am.That is shocking! (So is the notion that you are on the cusp of 40 — you were just in school!)

The other name that springs to mind is Al Lawson.Oh, of course. Also in 2002, I think.

tphinney
03-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Apparently Justin died of a heart attack, at his desk.

Hmm. I think I need to get some more exercise!

Greg Fleming
05-03-2005, 01:34 AM
Apparently Justin died of a heart attack, at his desk.

Hmm. I think I need to get some more exercise!

It was his second. I was his partner for 15 years, and he had a heart attack when he was 37, during the time he was digitising Caslon. He was under a lot of pressure and stress at the time.

Whithout a doubt he was the most decent, knowlegable and kindest human being I have ever met. I will miss him greatly. All of us who knew him will miss him.

ktinkel
05-03-2005, 05:37 AM
It was his second. I was his partner for 15 years, and he had a heart attack when he was 37, during the time he was digitising Caslon. He was under a lot of pressure and stress at the time.

Whithout a doubt he was the most decent, knowlegable and kindest human being I have ever met. I will miss him greatly. All of us who knew him will miss him.Very sorry for your loss. And nice to see you here.

Michael Rowley
05-05-2005, 10:18 AM
KT:

the untimely death of Justin Howes

There was a belated obituary of Howes by Robin Kinross in today's Guardian (Howes's death occurred on February 21). It may be available on-line. It's quite detailed.

ktinkel
05-05-2005, 11:29 AM
There was a belated obituary of Howes by Robin Kinross in today's Guardian (Howes's death occurred on February 21). It may be available on-line. It's quite detailed.Thank you! Very interesting life he led, short though it was.

Here’s a link. I’m not sure whether it is a permanent link, but it is available right now, May 5, 2005. After that, one might be able to search on Justin Howes and get it.

Justin Howes obituary by Robin Kinross (http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,,1476503,00.html)

tphinney
10-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Greg, I apologize for the very late response, but I just wanted to say that I too am deeply sorry for your loss. Fifteen years - wow, that's a year longer than my wife and I have been together. I know what losing her would do to me....

I still think of Justin sometimes.

Best wishes,

T