PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of 42...

terrie
02-21-2005, 04:09 PM
There is a movie theater near me that shows open captioned movies once a month or so and I went to see National Treasure yesterday and while the main feature is open captioned they don't caption the *endless* previews so I normally don't pay much attention to them...

However!!! I did watch the previews for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...it looks fab! Due out in May...will probably be October before they have an open captioned version but it looks like it will be worth waiting for...

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
02-21-2005, 06:09 PM
A friend pointed me at a site where there was a trailer and some stills. Marvin is just plain wrong. He's far too cute and cuddly and new looking to have a pain in the diodes down his left side. A tummy ache perhaps, but that's it. Still. Gotta see it.

annc
02-21-2005, 07:55 PM
A friend pointed me at a site where there was a trailer and some stills. Marvin is just plain wrong. He's far too cute and cuddly and new looking to have a pain in the diodes down his left side. A tummy ache perhaps, but that's it. Still. Gotta see it.Cute is wrong for the Hitchhiker's Guide. Marvin was a genuine pain in the bum.

DTP Guy
02-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Agreed. Marvin is not the picture of him I have in my head :-)

Another thing that appears wrong is that Zaphod only has one head!! What's up with that? It appears the movie makers coudn't cope with that, but they did give him an extra arm...

Anyway, I'll be seeing the movie.

annc
02-22-2005, 02:11 AM
Agreed. Marvin is not the picture of him I have in my head :-)

Another thing that appears wrong is that Zaphod only has one head!! What's up with that? It appears the movie makers coudn't cope with that, but they did give him an extra arm...

Anyway, I'll be seeing the movie.How much more did they get wrong? Zaphod with one head? Adams must be turning in his grave!

Richard Hunt
02-22-2005, 03:13 AM
Zaphod only has one head!! What's up with that? It appears the movie makers coudn't cope with that, but they did give him an extra arm...

Even the 1982-ish tv adaptation had a twin-head Zaphod... not a very sophisticated one, it must be said.

What did you think of the third radio series, broadcast last year?

Richard Hunt

Dave Saunders
02-22-2005, 04:47 AM
Something must have changed dramatically because the last time I read about this movie Zaphod not only had two heads but they were very proud of the techniques they'd use to create a genuine(?) head much better than that in the 1982-ish tv adaptation.

Dave

terrie
02-22-2005, 10:35 AM
>>SteveR: Still. Gotta see it.

Personally, HGTTG never really did much for me...I've only see the BBC production and never read the books--probably should--but the previews made it look like it would be fun to see...

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
02-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Ah, the BBC telly production was funny in a tacky sort of way, but it's the radio or book version you want to start with.

Richard Hunt
02-23-2005, 12:42 AM
I've only see the BBC production and never read the books--probably should.

It started out as a radio series, first broadcast in 1978.
You can buy the whole series on CD from the Beeb.

The books were an afterthought.

Richard

DTP Guy
02-23-2005, 01:14 AM
I was just going by a trailer I saw somewhere on the Web which showed Zaphod with one head but with three arms.

Here it is!

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/main.html

terrie
02-23-2005, 11:08 AM
>>stever: Ah, the BBC telly production was funny in a tacky sort of way, but it's the radio or book version you want to start with.

The book would have to do as the radio is impossible now...

Terrie

terrie
02-23-2005, 11:10 AM
>>richardh: It started out as a radio series, first broadcast in 1978.

Never realized that...can't do the cd as my hearing isn't good enough for that sort of thing now...will have to make do with the book...

Terrie

annc
02-23-2005, 11:16 AM
>>richardh: It started out as a radio series, first broadcast in 1978.

Never realized that...can't do the cd as my hearing isn't good enough for that sort of thing now...will have to make do with the book...There was an Infocom game too (the only one that lied to you, IIRC). It was Mac only, of course; Douglas Adams was an early adopter of the Mac, and a Mac evangelist.

djb
02-23-2005, 12:04 PM
There was an Infocom game too (the only one that lied to you, IIRC). It was Mac only, of course; Douglas Adams was an early adopter of the Mac, and a Mac evangelist.

I played the HHGTTG game on the Apple II... And I believe it made it to the Commodore 64.

Richard Hunt
02-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Ah. Big advantage of the online forums, deafness or physical disability does not matter. Anyway, a search of www.amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk) turns up http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-3071395-6905442 which has the audio CDs at the first, second and fifth places - which is no good to you I know but someone else might find it useful.

Richard

terrie
02-23-2005, 01:33 PM
>>richardh: Ah. Big advantage of the online forums, deafness or physical disability does not matter.

Indeed...'-}}

Terrie

annc
02-23-2005, 02:15 PM
I played the HHGTTG game on the Apple II... And I believe it made it to the Commodore 64.Oh, did it? Thanks. I'll try to remember that.

Steve Rindsberg
02-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Yup, I understood about the radio problem - that's why I mentioned the book as a very reasonable alternative. Read a little -- if it doesn't tickle you in the first twenty pages, give it up. Either the style strikes you as funny or not.

We'll still love you.

terrie
02-25-2005, 12:14 PM
>>stever: that's why I mentioned the book as a very reasonable alternative.

Thanks...

>>Read a little -- if it doesn't tickle you in the first twenty pages, give it up. Either the style strikes you as funny or not.

I probably would find it funny...will check it out next time I'm at the bookstore...

Terrie