PDA

View Full Version : Now ...

Mervyn Long
01-27-2005, 08:53 AM
... that I've managed to get in here <g> It's bit like reaching the centre of Hampton Court Palace maze. Probably me rushing it but it was a trip - the software had a grand time telling me I only had a couple of tries left.

Glad to be here!

Mervyn

Michael Rowley
01-27-2005, 10:18 AM
... that I've managed to get in here <g> It's bit like reaching the centre of Hampton Court Palace maze. Probably me rushing it but it was a trip - the software had a grand time telling me I only had a couple of tries left.

Glad to be here!

Mervyn
Mervyn:

I was just writing a message to the administrators, telling them their software was a load of codswallop, when hey presto! I got a message telling me that it had finally opened the portcullis.

Michael

ktinkel
01-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Mervyn:

I was just writing a message to the administrators, telling them their software was a load of codswallop, when hey presto! I got a message telling me that it had finally opened the portcullis.

Michael
Now, boys — blame us, not the software. I got the alarm that you were pounding on the door but couldn’t remember what to do about it, so we had to wait until Ann woke up (you know what a layabout she is, sleeping while the rest of us are working hard) <g>) to fix things.

Oh — and we are very glad to have you here.

annc
01-27-2005, 11:45 AM

Glad to be here!

MervynWelcome, Mervyn! I thought I'd done something fatal with your membership application.

Mervyn Long
01-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Ann is helping but I've been frown aht a couple of time and used up my 5 allowed tries a few times too <g>

Seems to be working now but I think I'll let the dust settle for a while, before it, or I, have a nervous breakdown.

At first glance it seems to be nice clean software, once you're in.

Mervyn

Mervyn Long
01-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Well I must confess that it was complicated by my mail system (which is forwarded by mail.com as well as sent directly by them to another address. The two were arriving at vastly different times) and swapping between Firebird - which I like very much - and Firefox which has some quirks the way I have it slung onto the computer.

Next thing is I'm in the middle of revamping the office and at the stage of pulling all the knot of cables apart. Gawd knows what I've got plugged into where at this point <g>

Mervyn

ElyseC
01-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Next thing is I'm in the middle of revamping the office and at the stage of pulling all the knot of cables apart. Gawd knows what I've got plugged into where at this point <g>
Sorry if I've missed reading all about it, but did you ever get that massive remodel project completed? Hopefully everything was together enough before the rains hit out there!

Mervyn Long
01-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Elyse - oh yeah. At least 98% which is about as close as one ever gets <g> Whenever I work out how to post pics here I'll put some up.

Mervyn

ElyseC
01-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Elyse - oh yeah. At least 98% which is about as close as one ever gets <g> Whenever I work out how to post pics here I'll put some up.
Use the "Quote" button to reply to threads and you'll have a much better editor to type in, as well as options for attaching files and pics.

And if you don't want to use the quoted text in the reply box, just delete it and type what you do want.

annc
01-27-2005, 12:17 PM

MervynI've got ethernet cables of three different colours here. I thought that would make things easier, but it doesn't appear to have done so.

And dusting is impossible.

Mervyn Long
01-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Use the "Quote" button to reply to threads and you'll have a much better editor to type in, as well as options for attaching files and pics.

And if you don't want to use the quoted text in the reply box, just delete it and type what you do want.

Wow! <g> All those neat symbols. Sadly my images don't have URLs. Isn't that where one very cleverly stores the images out there in cyberspace? How about if its just stored here in the drive I installed 'specially for the purpose?

Mervyn

Mervyn Long
01-27-2005, 01:13 PM
I've been grovelling about in thick dust sticking labels on the various generic voltage tranformers. I'm gonna snap in a minute and simply rip the lot out, I can feel it coming on <g>

Mervyn

Mervyn Long
01-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Ann - tell me, has there been a decision that we all work on GMT, or use local time?

Mervyn

Franca
01-27-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry it was such a trial, Mervyn, but we're very glad to see you!

Franca
01-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Hi, Michael! Thanks to both you and Mervyn for hanging in there. Good to have you here!

annc
01-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I've been grovelling about in thick dust sticking labels on the various generic voltage tranformers. I'm gonna snap in a minute and simply rip the lot out, I can feel it coming on <g>I don't blame you. I've got 5 connected here, and only the NETGEAR one is labelled at all.

It's even more difficult when you decide to sell or donate an old appliance and try to work out which of the multiple unlabelled ones in the box belongs to it.

So good luck with your labelling job. Don't forget to dust the cables first. I can tell you from experience that labels don't stick to dust.

annc
01-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Ann - tell me, has there been a decision that we all work on GMT, or use local time?You can use local time, Mervyn. Click on User CP (on the left of the nav bar up the top of the screen) and then select User Options. The server appears to be linked to a time server somewhere, because it's as accurate as my Mac, which is also linked to a time server.

Also, it appears to deal with daylight saving time correctly, unlike the CIS time option.

ElyseC
01-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Sadly my images don't have URLs. Isn't that where one very cleverly stores the images out there in cyberspace? How about if its just stored here in the drive I installed 'specially for the purpose?
My sig is served up from elsewhere on the Web, not from my own hard drive and from everything I've seen that's how you'd serve up a sig image for yourself.

Now, if you just need to make an image available to all here, you can attach it to a message you post. Here, I'll attach a little pic of the baby opossum that got into our old house back in Claremont a year and a half ago.

Steve Rindsberg
01-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Ah. Recabling. That would explain why your login attempts kept my fax machine busy earlier.

Mervyn Long
01-28-2005, 01:09 PM
You should see what it's done to Los Angeles airport!

Mervyn

ElyseC
01-28-2005, 01:14 PM
You should see what it's done to Los Angeles airport!

Heh! I think I'll take the train when we go back out there in a few months for a visit...

<g>

Mervyn Long
01-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Nah - I should have it sorted out by then.

OTOH .......... <g>

Mervyn

Molly/CA
01-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Now, boys — blame us, not the software.

OK, any time ;)

I couldn't get in with the original (http://desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/) address I was given --kept being told my password was invalid --

But went back to the links for activating, was told I was already activated (had to give activation # to one of the links, I think), and then was logged in.

Went to the cryptic place (UCP) that stores profile and re-entered password as an "edit" --we'll see what happens next time (thought I'd stay rather than push my luck, for today).

MM

ktinkel
01-29-2005, 01:59 PM
OK, any time ;)

I couldn't get in with the original (http://desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/) address I was given --kept being told my password was invalid --

But went back to the links for activating, was told I was already activated (had to give activation # to one of the links, I think), and then was logged in.

Went to the cryptic place (UCP) that stores profile and re-entered password as an "edit" --we'll see what happens next time (thought I'd stay rather than push my luck, for today).

MM
That’s odd. Sorry you had all that trouble. If it happens again, let us know. It may be some oddity in your record. (And how on earth did you happen to be able to lay hands on your activation #, of all things!? I am very impressed at that — you must be phenomenally well organized!)

Mervyn Long
01-29-2005, 02:57 PM
I got sent an activation # also. Didn't seem to fit anywhere though <g>

Mervyn

Molly/CA
01-29-2005, 03:36 PM
<Ah. Recabling. That would explain why your login attempts kept my fax machine busy earlier.

LOL

Michael Rowley
01-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Now, boys — blame us, not the software. I got the alarm that you were pounding on the door but couldn’t remember what to do about it, so we had to wait until Ann woke up (you know what a layabout she is, sleeping while the rest of us are working hard) <g>) to fix things.

Oh — and we are very glad to have you here.
KT:

I couldn't be sure what was happening—I'm apt to panic when my password won't work the second time round. I'm glad the deus ex machina woke up at last.

I might say that the software seems very good once you're in, and I've noted the name of it to tell to the administrator of ITI (that's a British sister-organization of the ATA).

Michael

Michael Rowley
01-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi, Michael! Thanks to both you and Mervyn for hanging in there. Good to have you here!
Franca:

Oh, I wasn't doing much hanging in: I'd already applied for a new password. The trouble seems to be that the sofware is supplying messages that aren't true, possibly through a mix-up with the timing. I was told I'd got 24 h to register my new password, but when I tried to. I was told the time had expired—all this within half an hour!

Michael

Mervyn Long
01-30-2005, 06:02 AM
Michael - having used the software a bit now, I think it's dynamite!

What is the name of the software - I've looked around but can't find it. KT? (I won't tell anyone where it's being used<g>).

Mervyn

Michael Rowley
01-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Mervyn:

'What is the name of the software'

vBulletin, which I hear is using 'PHP'—whatever that is.

Michael

don Arnoldy
01-30-2005, 09:30 AM
which I hear is using 'PHP'—whatever that is.More-properly "its written in PhP." PhP is a server-side scripting language. It is newer than, but used similarly to PERL. Windows servers often us ASP for similar purposes.

ktinkel
01-30-2005, 12:23 PM
More-properly "its written in PhP."
Huh? Nonsense. (I bet you’re thinking of Ph.D.) <g>

The letters stand for Personal Home Page, which is what its creator called it, way back in 1994. The correct (and standard) shorthand is PHP.

At the PHP web site (http://www.php.net/), PHP is defined as “a widely-used general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML.” It runs on the host server, not the user’s system, so it is “server-side.”

That web site is fun, in a bizarre way. Not only can you find out all about PHP, but you can sign up for PHP cruises or conferences in exotic countries.

ktinkel
01-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Michael - having used the software a bit now, I think it's dynamite!

What is the name of the software - I've looked around but can't find it. KT? (I won't tell anyone where it's being used<g>).

What Michael said: vBulletin. It has a vast and enthusiastic following if you go poke around on its sales and support (and many fan) sites.

don Arnoldy
01-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Huh? Nonsense.

You misread the intent of that...

"its written in PhP."

" is [i]using 'PHP'"

that php is a language, rather than a piece of software.

ktinkel
01-30-2005, 01:46 PM
You misread the intent of that...

"its written in PhP."

" is [i]using 'PHP'"

that php is a language, rather than a piece of software.Ahhh. And here I thought you making a spelling distinction. It would be odd, I know, but that’s how it struck me!

Sorry. :-)

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-03-2005, 04:17 AM
You can use local time, Mervyn. Click on User CP (on the left of the nav bar up the top of the screen) and then select User Options.

The first time I tried this it didn't work because I didn't spot the button that saves the changes, and I'm not sure, but I think the clock is an hour off for my time zone. I'll check it again later.

Thanks for the help.

annc
02-03-2005, 10:25 AM
The first time I tried this it didn't work because I didn't spot the button that saves the changes, and I'm not sure, but I think the clock is an hour off for my time zone. I'll check it again later.

Thanks for the help.There are option for daylight saving as well, Carol. Next time you're in the User Control Panel, have a look to see what setting you have there. So many options … ;-)

BigJohnD
02-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Aha! I'm can tell I'm in the right place! As for GMT, it's a quarter past one a.m. here, and jim-jam time.

Thank you Terrie for the post in Adobeforums PM Win. I got here as soon as I found out.

How is every one? Mervyn, did I see you were avoiding untangling the bird's nest in your computer corner? Well, you're in good company.

Meanwhile, the old order is being restored as Wales have beaten England at the Stadiwm Mileniwm. It was too much of a shock for one lad though… http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050208/80/fbzpn.html (Not for the faint hearted - you have been warned)

Huw and I are off to the Stadiwm Mileniwm for the League Final on 27th Feb to see Liverpool v Chelsea.
http://www.millenniumstadium.com/301_409.php?PHPSESSID=34e6743f060ebe23a7611e96755c 5fc3

How's life in the Canyon?

PS: I forgot say to it's 60 quid a ticket. Robbery. The Mighty Reds better win.

ktinkel
02-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Aha! I'm can tell I'm in the right place! As for GMT, it's a quarter past one a.m. here, and jim-jam time.How nice to hear your peculiar accent once again!

Glad you found your way.

BigJohnD
02-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Accent? wot aksent?

ktinkel
02-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Accent? wot aksent?Did I say “accent”?

I meant to say something like your quaint and charming manner of expression! <g>

By the way (and I think you told me years ago, but it didn’t stick): How does one pronounce “lechyd da!”? And what, exactly, does it mean?

Mike
02-16-2005, 03:47 AM
How does one pronounce “lechyd da!”? And what, exactly, does it mean?

Well the first thing that Google gave me when I tried "lechyd da" was this:

http://www.presentandcollect.co.uk/lilliputlanelechydda.htm

Ever since we started learning Welsh (some weeks ago) I thought the phrase was "iechyd da". In which case I'd better not attempt a pronunciation guide.

Perhaps John will put us both right.

Franca
02-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I thought the phrase was "iechyd da"I'm afraid that's what I've thought for years! It looks marginally more pronounceable as "lechyd da". <g>

terrie
02-16-2005, 11:20 AM
>> Thank you Terrie for the post in Adobeforums PM Win. I got here as soon as I found out.

Oh yay!!! I'm so glad to see you here...

Terrie

BigJohnD
02-16-2005, 11:36 AM
I thought the phrase was "iechyd da"
It is. The confusion is because the initial upper case "i" looks like a lower case "L" with a sans serif font.

This is how it's pronounced after a few beers. (Not me!)http://www.johndavies.mersinet.co.uk/pmwin/iechyd.wav

Iechyd means Health as in Canolfan Iechyd (Health Centre) or Gwasanaethau Iechyd (Health Services).

The BBC Cymru pages are good - they have instant vocabtranslation.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cymru/

And Mike, I've never really liked all the Lilliput giftware, and that failure to at least proof read proves my case.

marlene
02-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Chroesawa at 'r forum! (Hmmm, got this from an online translator, but it doesn't even look right to me! Wot's that haitch doing in there?)

Sospan fach yn berwi ar y tan!

mxh

BigJohnD
02-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Aha! The little saucepan! (is boiling on the fire)

Here's a sample with Boyce the Voice - http://www.maxboyce.co.uk/mp3/Sospan_Fach.m3u
and the lyrics http://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/welsh/mysweetm.htm (http://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/welsh/mysweetm.htm)

Chroesawa at 'r forum!
"Croeso y forum" in the translator should give "Welcome to the Forum".

"Croeso y Lloegr" - http://www.lloegr.org/guide/index.htm - is one of my favoutite pages.

marlene
02-16-2005, 08:31 PM
After listening to the Sospan sample, I decided to look for the entire song online. Didn't find it, but stumbled upon this:

http://wri.cymru.net/

Not much music, though -- only snippets.

http://www.lloegr.org/guide/index.htm

LOL!

mxh

Mike
02-17-2005, 02:35 AM
It is..

Good to know the Welsh classes haven't been totally in vain. God, it's a difficult language -- I've decided it must have been invented by a committe.

BigJohnD
02-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi, Mike,

http://wri.cymru.net/

Nice one; have bookmarked it.

My Welsh is pretty appaling really. My dad was bi-lingual from birth and his mother hardly spoke English. Sadly they're both playng they're harps in the great Eisteddfod in the sky, so I no longer hear Welsh in the family. I blame my dad for marrying a foreigner and emigrating.

it's a difficult language
True, but it is a native language of the British Isles (even if it is still banned in the Houses of Parliament) and has resisted the Greco-Romano-Anglo-Viking-Norman-Saxon-Franco onslaught over the centuries to remain pure!

BTW, WinXP now has an UK Extended option CY (Cymru) which is terrific and for a moment I cheered for Microsoft.

http://www.johndavies.mersinet.co.uk/pmwin/welshcharactersxp.gif

http://www.johndavies.mersinet.co.uk/pmwin/welsh_keyboard.gif

Sadly they still can't spell centre, colour, favourite, etc. and insist on "that" when it should be "which".

Mike
02-18-2005, 12:47 AM
[QUOTE=John]BTW, WinXP now has an UK Extended option CY (Cymru) which is terrific and for a moment I cheered for Microsoft[\quote]

And it's free! I use Macs and OS-X has a setting for Welsh. It doesn't seem to do anything except dislay a little Welsh flag in the menu bar.

This isn't a very Welsh-speaking area but some of our immediate neighbours speak it at home and Hugh the milk usually says a few words to us in Welsh (and then has to explain what they mean). A few miles west of us (in Landovery) Welsh is much more common and it's quite normal to hear it being spoken in the street or in shops.

There's quite a lot of Welsh words with Latin roots (elgwys, for example) but grammatical structures and mutations seem quite foreign to European languages.

Learning Welsh is certainly an interesting experience.