imatt
05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Ok back again....:)

Here are the questions...

1) Are you using:

PC

Apple Mac

Both

2) Where do you use your PC and / or Mac?

Work

Home

At both home and work

In a home based office (SOHO)

3) With regards to fonts, do you mostly use:

TrueType

Type 1

OpenType

Do not use / understand the technology

4) If mostly using Type 1 fonts, what are the main reasons?

Compatibility

Range of typefaces

Came bundled with DTP / Graphics / Office software

Other (please write)

5) If mostly using TrueType fonts, what are the main reasons?

Compatibility

Range of typefaces

Other (please write)

6) If mostly using OpenType fonts, what are the main reasons?

Compatibility

Range of typefaces

Other (please write)

7)Are you considering moving to OpenType fonts exclusively?

Yes

No

Not sure

terrie
05-17-2006, 11:39 AM
1) Are you using: PC

2) Where do you use your PC and / or Mac? SOHO

3) With regards to fonts, do you mostly use: Mix of TrueType, Type1 and OpenType

For 4/5/6: Other--I use what I have be they TrueType, Type1 or OpenType. If buying a new font and OpenType were priced the same as TT or T1, I'd probably buy the OpenType version.

7)Are you considering moving to OpenType fonts exclusively? No

Terrie

ktinkel
05-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Ok back again....:)

Here are the questions...Great. I have made this its own thread. Good luck with it.

Is there a cutoff date? Might want to mention it.

ktinkel
05-17-2006, 12:03 PM
1) Are you using: Macintosh

2) Where do you use your PC and / or Mac?In a home based office (SOHO)
3) With regards to fonts, do you mostly use: Type 1

4) If mostly using Type 1 fonts, what are the main reasons?Compatibility
Range of typefaces
5) If mostly using TrueType fonts, what are the main reasons? N/A (But do use the web-optimized ones — Verdana, Georgia, etc. — for web browsing.)
6) If mostly using OpenType fonts, what are the main reasons?N/A (But use the ones I have with Adobe Illustrator and InDesign when the typeface I need is available in OT format.)
7) Are you considering moving to OpenType fonts exclusively?No (I guess — not until their support is ubiquitous and then only if I need a specific OT font or the extended OT features, assuming the typefaces I want to use are actually available with those features. I do not expect to replace my huge library with OT versions without good reason.)

ElyseC
05-17-2006, 12:43 PM
1) Are you using:

Mac

In a home based office (SOHO)

Type 1

Compatibility

Range of typefaces

Other: For years (the years when I bought the most fonts) it was the only format available.

N/A

N/A

Not likely, unless I inherit a fortune. Were I starting from scratch today, however, I'd probably start building a library of mostly OpenType, acquiring the other two formats when OT wasn't an option.

LoisWakeman
05-17-2006, 11:28 PM
1) Are you using: PC

2) Where do you use your PC and / or Mac? Work - In a home based office (SOHO)

3) With regards to fonts, do you mostly use: TrueType and increasingly OpenType

4) If mostly using Type 1 fonts, what are the main reasons? n/a

Range of typefaces, some came bundled with DTP / Graphics / Office software

6) If mostly using OpenType fonts, what are the main reasons? n/a

7)Are you considering moving to OpenType fonts exclusively? Not sure; may happen over time

donmcc
05-18-2006, 02:56 AM
1) PC

2) Where do you use your PC and / or Mac? At both home and work

OpenType

N/A

N/A

Other (please write): Availability of additional glyphs

Already there

Norbert
05-18-2006, 08:52 AM
1) Are you using: Both

Work: both Mac & PC
Home: both Mac & PC
In (SOHO): both Mac & PC

TrueType (bulk of my PC fonts)
Type 1 (older fonts in my Mac collection)
OpenType (now using with InDesign CS2)

Does not apply since I do not mostly use them

Other - I prefer more recent digitizations.

Other - I now prefer OT advanced typography features, so in time my OT collection will grow.

No - NOT EXCLUSIVELY, it just doesn't make sense for all typefaces to use OT features and character complements. In fact, it's BAD typography to expand a typeface needlessly, just for software requirements.

imatt
05-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks chaps and chapesses for the response..... :-)

Michael Rowley
05-18-2006, 01:50 PM
1. PC
2. SOHO
3. TT-OT (i.e. TT-flavoured OT)
4. n.a.
5. Most modern TT fonts are OT.
6. See 5
7. Yes, either TT-OT or PS-OT

Whoever set the questions has failed to consider that modern programs favour neither PS nor TT fonts or that TT-OT or PS-OT fonts have become the rule; the fonts in use are mainly a matter of availability when the user started collecting them.

dthomsen8
05-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Whoever set the questions has failed to consider that modern programs favour neither PS nor TT fonts or that TT-OT or PS-OT fonts have become the rule; the fonts in use are mainly a matter of availability when the user started collecting them.

You have almost caught my thoughts. I would say that price has affected what fonts I have purchased, but I have collected quite a few for free from installing various programs, and some more from my Windows 98 computer, and a few more from inexpensive font collections on a CD. I confess that whether they were TT or not really didn't affect my collection.

imatt
05-20-2006, 12:56 PM
This survey was not about applications. I am fully aware that modern apps can take advantage of TT and T1 founts. That said, some apps such as InD can take full advantage of OpenType features much better than QXP 6.xx. QXP 7.0 should even the score.

Rather this survey wanted to see whether the arrival open type is having an imapct, esp considerin Adobe has stopped developing new T1 fonts from 1999.

dthomsen8
05-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Rather this survey wanted to see whether the arrival open type is having an imapct, esp considerin Adobe has stopped developing new T1 fonts from 1999.

So what I say has no relevance to you. I use fonts in web development, and in printing from MS Word on my HP LaserJet 4 Plus and HP Deskjet 5740. None of that is relevant for what you are asking.

Michael Rowley
05-20-2006, 03:01 PM
This survey was not about applications

Neither were my comments intended to be about applications, but about operating systems, principally about Windows, because I use it, but also about the Macintosh OS and Linux. Windows has been able to interpret PS or TT fonts since 2000, and also uses Unicode; many (but not all) of the fonts supplied with it are OT fonts, but their files continue to have the ttf extension. Adobe has made all its fonts OT, though still with PS outlines, and the files have distinctive extension (otf); Linotype is also making all its entirely new fonts OT and steadily bringing out OT versions of selected fonts; most other developers seem to be doing the same, as far as their resources allow.

Meanwhile, on the applications front, very few applications make use of all the resources that can be available in an OT font.

ElyseC
05-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Meanwhile, on the applications front, very few applications make use of all the resources that can be available in an OT font.And QuarkXPress 6.5 (or its Jaws PDF engine) reports your OT fonts "...may be corrupt." Scared me the first time I tried PDFing something that used OT fonts, but I discovered that it complains, but still makes the PDF and the fonts are fine.

Dumb as dirt, some apps are.

Michael Rowley
05-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Elyse:

And QuarkXPress 6.5 (or its Jaws PDF engine) reports your OT fonts "...may be corrupt."

Probably that's Quark XPress 6.5; it may be objecting because it finds TT font files that have additional tables in them. Most DTP applications (and Word) now have no difficulty with OT fonts, recognizing any Unicode code point, but can't recognize any alternative glyph; InDesign can, of course.

ElyseC
05-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Probably that's Quark XPress 6.5; it may be objecting because it finds TT font files that have additional tables in them. Most DTP applications (and Word) now have no difficulty with OT fonts, recognizing any Unicode code point, but can't recognize any alternative glyph; InDesign can, of course.InDesign can indeed. I'd be using ID for this particular project were it not for having to deal with a client stuck at QX 4. <sigh>

Michael Rowley
05-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Elyse:

I'd be using ID for this particular project were it not for having to deal with a client stuck at QX 4

I see that QXP v. 6 and v. 6.5 are still available from Quark, though what you would want is v. 7, which appears to have the same text-handling capabilities as InDesign.

djb
05-25-2006, 10:38 AM
1) Mac
2) At both home and work
3) Type 1
4) We spent $10,000 on fonts about 11 years ago and they still work.
7) Not exclusively, but I am planning to ask for budget to buy the Adobe OT library in fiscal '07.

tphinney
06-15-2006, 08:52 PM
> Rather this survey wanted to see whether the arrival open type is having an imapct, esp considerin Adobe has stopped developing new T1 fonts from 1999.

Maybe you should be asking which formats people are buying fonts in today, and in what percentages, as well as what they use. Usage = installed base. Current purchasing = where the market is going. Given that fonts last practically forever, the installed base is not going to be completely displaced quickly, not even in seven years.

For what it's worth, Adobe's current sales are 85-90% OpenType, with almost the entire remainder being Type 1. But as Adobe pushes OpenType a lot harder, this is not necessarily representative of other foundries' sales.

Cheers,

T

tphinney
06-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Well, the same OpenType capabilities as InDesign CS1, and no multi-line composer. But it's still a huge advance.

T