PDA

View Full Version : Here we are again !

DTP Guy
02-16-2005, 05:56 AM
Nice to see that y'all have moved from Compuserve. I could not get used to that new interface and missed a lot of the interaction I loved when using an OLR.

I hope that this new home will provide that again. I no longer use Virtual Access, but use Mozilla Thunderbird instead. If I can get at this Forum with that tool, I would be very happy ! :-)

Thanks to Franca for the information about getting here. Hopefully we can meet up in London again this year when she accompanies hubby to Le Mans!

Greetings and regards to all

Brian Smithson

ktinkel
02-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Nice to see that y'all have moved from Compuserve. I could not get used to that new interface and missed a lot of the interaction I loved when using an OLR.

I hope that this new home will provide that again. I no longer use Virtual Access, but use Mozilla Thunderbird instead. If I can get at this Forum with that tool, I would be very happy ! :-)

Thanks to Franca for the information about getting here. Hopefully we can meet up in London again this year when she accompanies hubby to Le Mans!

Greetings and regards to all

Brian SmithsonLovely to see you again, Brian.

By Thunderbird, do you mean RSS or something else? If RSS, Frank Haber has been experimenting with it. Read about it in this thread (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?t=187) from a couple of days ago.

We definitely have OLR access on our to-do list, but most approaches are either difficult or expensive. But we will continue to work on it, as you are not the only one to ask for it.

DTP Guy
02-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Lovely to see you again, Brian.
Thanks !
By Thunderbird, do you mean RSS or something else?
Thunderbird is an email client from the Mozilla crowd (a perfect partner for the Firefox web browser). It has all of the facilities I liked in Virtual Access, such as one main messagebase into which I can view all my email and all of my newsgroups (NNTP). It also allows me to have RSS feeds into the ssame client, although I use FeedDemon for RSS reading.

It appears that I spend quite a lot of my day just reading all these things!!

Brian

Andrew B.
02-16-2005, 09:33 AM
In Thunderbird's unified message base, do the messages from news groups still get threaded? And, does Thunderbird have logic that attempts to thread emails?

DTP Guy
02-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Andrew

Yes, Thunderbird does thread messages in newsgroups - even the ones in Adobe's User to User Forums, which are primarily web-based.

Thunderbird also threads email messages -- one of the main things that is missing in other email clients.

I use T'Bird to thread messages from newsgroups, email and discussion groups such as those hosted by MSN and Yahoo! Granted, those last tend to feed the posted messages to the user as emails, therefore T'Bird's threading mechanism copes well with them.

In the latest incarnation (version 1.0), Thunderbird also will view folders in date order, grouped into logical groupings such as Today, Yesterday, Last Week etc., you can mark messages based on labels and construct 'Search Folders' where you specify the query against the messagebase and everytime you open that folder, the query is re-run so you have the latest info.

It is a remarkable piece of work, and when the Sunbird Calendar (also known as Lightning) project gets going, Thunderbird will have an integrated Calendar and Task List, so will truly start to rival MS Outlook.

annc
02-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Andrew

Yes, Thunderbird does thread messages in newsgroups - even the ones in Adobe's User to User Forums, which are primarily web-based.

Thunderbird also threads email messages -- one of the main things that is missing in other email clients.

I use T'Bird to thread messages from newsgroups, email and discussion groups such as those hosted by MSN and Yahoo! Granted, those last tend to feed the posted messages to the user as emails, therefore T'Bird's threading mechanism copes well with them.

In the latest incarnation (version 1.0), Thunderbird also will view folders in date order, grouped into logical groupings such as Today, Yesterday, Last Week etc., you can mark messages based on labels and construct 'Search Folders' where you specify the query against the messagebase and everytime you open that folder, the query is re-run so you have the latest info.

It is a remarkable piece of work, and when the Sunbird Calendar (also known as Lightning) project gets going, Thunderbird will have an integrated Calendar and Task List, so will truly start to rival MS Outlook.Hi Brian, great to see you here.

Does Thunderbird use true threading? Entourage says it threads e-mail messages, but it's really just grouping them by topic.

Franca
02-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Hi, Brian! I have downloaded TBird but have not gotten around to installing it because I've just gotten comfortable in Eudora - but it sounds fabulous. I think it's time I made the switch and I know it's time for The Boss to dump his dreadful e-mail setup. How does Thunderbird do WRT importing messages and address books from other apps? Netscape 4.7 and Eudora 6.1 to be exact.... ;-)

DTP Guy
02-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Hello Ann

I don't think that Thunderbird uses true threading, but groups together on the message subject. I don't know enough about it to say definitively, but perhaps you could ask here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=29

or check the specs here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Incidentally, there are versions for PC, Mac and Linux, so most bases are covered :-)

Brian

DTP Guy
02-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi Franca!

Address books will import from Eudora, Outlook, Outlook Express and text files, Mail will import from Eudora, Netscape Communicator 4x, Outlook and Outlook Express and 'Settings' (whatever they are!) from Eudora and the two Outlooks.

I know that you are a fan of OLRs (can't remember which one you were a fan of), so I am sure you will like Thunderbird. Very stylish and very powerful.

Brian

annc
02-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Hello Ann

I don't think that Thunderbird uses true threading, but groups together on the message subject. I don't know enough about it to say definitively, but perhaps you could ask here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=29

or check the specs here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Incidentally, there are versions for PC, Mac and Linux, so most bases are covered :-)

BrianThanks, Brian. I'll follow up on those links. I'm using Firefox here, btw. It can handle the text formatting editors in these forums better than Safari, which is my browser of choice because of its all-round elegance.

DTP Guy
02-16-2005, 12:17 PM
You're welcome Ann.

How do you get on in the Forums with Firefox? I find that the thread pane keeps expanding sideways and eventually gets so big it disappears off the right hand edge of the window.

I don't know if it me or Firefox, so I use it until it annoys me and then log on with IE, where the problem doesn't seem to exist.

Maybe I will try Opera also to check on how it works with these Fourms.

ktinkel
02-16-2005, 12:24 PM
How do you get on in the Forums with Firefox? I find that the thread pane keeps expanding sideways and eventually gets so big it disappears off the right hand edge of the window.

I don't know if it me or Firefox, so I use it until it annoys me and then log on with IE, where the problem doesn't seem to exist.

Maybe I will try Opera also to check on how it works with these Fourms.I don’t seem to have that problem with Firefox on the Mac. Wonder if it is a question of default font size?

Franca
02-16-2005, 12:28 PM
It's a "known problem" in Firefox on the PC. Happens here, too. Didn't realize that it didn't happen on the Mac!

ktinkel
02-16-2005, 12:32 PM
It's a "known problem" in Firefox on the PC. Happens here, too. Didn't realize that it didn't happen on the Mac!Maybe I just don’t notice. I can be like that. <g>

But when I look at most threads, they fold back to the left and start over.

Guess I’d better try to pay attention.

Franca
02-16-2005, 01:09 PM
It's the window (or cell or pane or whatever it's called) holding the threads that grows out to the right, getting out of alignment with all of the other elements on the page.

Franca
02-16-2005, 01:15 PM
That's pretty good importing! We'll have to figure out the best way to get addresses out of Netscape and into Thunderbird ... I wonder if we could pass them through one of the Outlooks or Eudora ... well, we'll poke about.

Yes, I've been a devoted OLR person. OzWin for CIS and Gravity for NGs. :) I'm looking forward to trying Thunderbird.

DTP Guy
02-17-2005, 01:20 AM
I'll do some testing later and report back.

<<Edit>> Just noticed that Franca has reported it is a known issue. Something screwy with the CSS, I wonder?

DTP Guy
02-17-2005, 01:24 AM
<<I'm looking forward to trying Thunderbird.>>

I think you'll like it. Documentation is a bit sparse and you may have to dig around the menus until you find out what everthing does, but just shout and I'll do my best to help (along with everyone else here of course!).

Franca
02-20-2005, 05:35 PM
I think you'll like it. Documentation is a bit sparse and you may have to dig around the menus until you find out what everthing does, but just shout and I'll do my best to help (along with everyone else here of course!).<shouting> ;-) One feature Eudora has that I have not yet found in Thunderbird is the ability to leave e-mail messages over a certain size on the server until I decide if/when I want to fetch them. Is this possible in Thunderbird?

curveto
02-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Lovely to see you again, Brian.

By Thunderbird, do you mean RSS or something else? If RSS, Frank Haber has been experimenting with it. Read about it in this thread (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?t=187) from a couple of days ago.

We definitely have OLR access on our to-do list, but most approaches are either difficult or expensive. But we will continue to work on it, as you are not the only one to ask for it.
I never knew there was a South Park character named Kathleen. She must be Kenny's sister.

JR

DTP Guy
02-20-2005, 10:05 PM
OK -- that's something that has not arrived yet. :-)

The best you can do is Fetch Headers only on an account by account basis. I would guess that means two passes at getting your mail, but this feature is something I have never used. I am on broadband here, and it really doesn't matter about message size :-)

Proabably the best thing you can do is head along to the Thunderbird Forums and request the feature as an extension -- maybe someone will be able to help?

rod
02-21-2005, 12:42 AM
hi guys
i'm new here
is this thing working?

rod

ktinkel
02-21-2005, 04:59 AM
hi guys
i'm new here
is this thing working?Hi, Rod —

Depends on what you were trying to do. But you successfully posted a message, if that was the goal.

Welcome to the forum!

Franca
02-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Ooh, I found it - it does exist! If you hadn't sent me searching for the mail headers option I wouldn't have seen it. ;-) Under Disk Space, you can indeed set a maximum message download size. But I'll play around with fetching headers only also - it's a feature I wanted in Eudora. Since Eudora didn't do that I got used to the combination of using MailCall to view headers and Eudora's maximum download size to prevent "surprises". I have broadband also, but I still resent automatically downloading unrequested/unknown large attachments, and sometimes stuff sneaks in between MailCall's last pass and Eudora's mail retrieval. Having a maximum download size catches those, but mail headers are the real answer. Thanks, Brian!

DTP Guy
02-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Great! That is something new in the program that I didn't know. Thanks!

Franca
02-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Yes, and I think I'm going to stick with using the message size limit and MailCall ... I tried the headers briefly yesterday and couldn't find a way to retrieve multiple messages at once. Is there?

DTP Guy
02-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Sorry Franca - I don't know as I don't use that feature. At a guess, I would say that you Cntrl + Click the messages you want to retrieve, but it is just a guess.