PDA

View Full Version : What's this?

Mike
03-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Any ideas as to what this font is? It looks familiar but I've drawn a blank in looking for it.

terrie
03-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Don't have a clue but it's a cool font...'-}}

What are you up to these days with your 4800???

Terrie

Mike
03-02-2006, 12:00 AM
What are you up to these days with your 4800???

Mostly doing prints on canvas and paper for a local photographer who has a permanent exhibition opening today in Brecon.

Once I've finished all of his work I can start to clear a small backlog of prints for a couple of artists.

If only there were a few more days in the week! I'm still spending a couple of days a week typesetting. Hence the need to find the typeface -- the publisher wants the title page to reflect the cover. It's a shame because I thought I'd done a really nice title page based on the fonts used in the US edition.

terrie
03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
mike: Mostly doing prints on canvas and paper for a local photographer who has a permanent exhibition opening today in Brecon.Cool...whose canvas are you using?

>>Once I've finished all of his work I can start to clear a small backlog of prints for a couple of artists.

Canvas or paper???

>>Hence the need to find the typeface -- the publisher wants the title page to reflect the cover.

Did you happen to see Cyranetta's post in this thread (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?p=24554)? It's not the font but it might be close enough...

Also...to continue the thread drift I started...PrintFix Pro is getting a lot of good reviews just in case you missed my posting about it...I'm seriously considering getting it...

Terrie

Mike
03-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Cool...whose canvas are you using?

I'm mostly using a canvas called daVinci. It seems to be sold in the US as MC-12 - Premium Waterfast Art GicleƩ Canvas - Matte by BF Inkjet Media

http://www.bfinkjet.com/docs/products/products_detail.asp?p_id=4

Surprisingly their website doesn't list 17 inch wide rolls but the core has a sticker with their URL and a part number MC12-2.

I recently tried a print on Epson Water Resistant canvas. It's glossier than the daVinci but it's also cheaper. The client hasn't seen that print yet.

All the work for artists so far has been on paper -- reproductions on watercolours, pastels or acrylics. I'm using Epson textured fine art paper. I originally started using Epson paper as I thought it would be safest in terms of colour matching and everyone seems pleased with the results so I've stuck with it.

I've also tried using a Fuji lustre paper with the matte inks in the 4800 to print photographs. The results are interesting. Some photographs don't work so well but most look brilliant. They're reminiscent on Cybachromes. The colours are vibrant and they have a wonderful sheen.

Did you happen to see Cyranetta's post in this thread (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?p=24554)? It's not the font but it might be close enough...

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't seen it. Unfortunately I don't think that
font is close enough. I've asked the publisher to chase the cover designer for the font so I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Also...to continue the thread drift I started...PrintFix Pro is getting a lot of good reviews just in case you missed my posting about it...I'm seriously considering getting it...
Terrie

Thread drift! Whoever could accuse us of that! I did buy a calibration system (can't remember what it's called offhand) that's prints a set of swatches that are scanned back in but haven't got around to using it yet. I guess there's always more interesting things to do.

The major disadvantage of the Printfix Pro would seem to be the time it must take to read each of those colours. I imagine the original PrintFix would have been a lot quicker to use.

terrie
03-03-2006, 03:24 PM
mike: I'm mostly using a canvas called daVinci. It seems to be sold in the US as MC-12 - Premium Waterfast Art GicleƩ Canvas - Matte by BF Inkjet MediaI've not seen their stuff before...looks interesting...

[/url]
>>I recently tried a print on Epson Water Resistant canvas. It's glossier than the daVinci but it's also cheaper. The client hasn't seen that print yet.

Let me know which the client prefers...

>>I'm using Epson textured fine art paper. I originally started using Epson paper as I thought it would be safest in terms of colour matching and everyone seems pleased with the results so I've stuck with it.

I've not used that but have used their wc radiant white and liked it but then I started using the Hawk Mountain papers and have stuck with those using the custom profile I had done for Osprey Textured which has worked perfectly with the other HM papers I have--I didn't realize until after I'd ordered the custom profile that HM offers profiles for most of their papers. I've d/l'd them but not tried them yet.

I put my contest winnings order in and ordered a bunch of their other papers and the order arrived a couple of weeks ago but I've not had a chance to actually unpack the box yet.

>> They're reminiscent on Cybachromes. The colours are vibrant and they have a wonderful sheen.

I loved Ciba's...did some of my own ciba processing when I had my own darkroom...I've never used the Fuji papers...it's good to know the images look good...

>> Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't seen it. Unfortunately I don't think that font is close enough. I've asked the publisher to chase the cover designer for the font so I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Do please...I didn't think it was close enough...

>> Thread drift! Whoever could accuse us of that!

ROFL!!!

>>I did buy a calibration system (can't remember what it's called offhand) that's prints a set of swatches that are scanned back in but haven't got around to using it yet. I guess there's always more interesting things to do.

ColorVisions PrintFix??? Not to be confused with PrintFixPro which doesn't use a scanner but has a spectrocolorimeter.

Ohhh...just happened to check the ColorVision site and found this:

"There will be a special upgrade program for PrintFIX owners which will be announced on our website and in our newsletter on Spring 2006."

Here's the [url="http://www.colorvision.com/profis/profis_view.jsp?id=521"]url (http://www.bfinkjet.com/docs/products/products_detail.asp?p_id=4) with that text--there is a clickable link on that page to sign up for their newsletter--always has lots of interesting info so it's probably worth signing up for...they don't bombard you with emails.

>>The major disadvantage of the Printfix Pro would seem to be the time it must take to read each of those colours. I imagine the original PrintFix would have been a lot quicker to use.

Yes...but the scanner was always the weak link--solved partially by CV supplying their own scanner. From what I've read in the reviews on PFP, target scanning is pretty quick--like 5 minutes or so.

I don't know if you remember David Miller from waaaay back before the forums were consolidated into PubPro but he worked for Horses (one of the original companies working on consumer level calibration stuff) and used to pop into the forum every now and again. He's back with ColorVision and is the lead designer for PFP. Anyway we've reestablished email communication and he referred me to this review (http://www.camerahobby.com/Digital_PrintFIX_PRO.htm) which I found more comprehensive than some of the other reviews I've read.

David said that this guy's comments on how long it took to read the patches (30minutes or so) was not his experience (5 minutes) and he touched base with the guy and found out that it may be a pc vs. mac situtation because of the way the pc side handles margins--the patches are smaller on the pc side printout than they are on the mac side.

David is working on the next software release and is going to see if he can fix that in the next release.

Terrie

Mike
03-04-2006, 01:32 AM
The PrintFix Pro certainly looks tempting. I've printed out that review and will have a leisurely read of it. I was hoping to go to the Post Office this morning but it's snowing quite hard so maybe I'll stay indoors and take a photo or two from the bedroom window.

terrie
03-04-2006, 03:32 PM
mike: The PrintFix Pro certainly looks tempting. I've printed out that review and will have a leisurely read of it.It is tempting and even moreso if you had bought PrintFix...I'll bet that ColorVision will have a nice upgrade path--they're pretty good about that sort of thing...

>> I was hoping to go to the Post Office this morning but it's snowing quite hard so maybe I'll stay indoors and take a photo or two from the bedroom window.

Sounds like a plan...I think we are headed towards spring--at least as witnessed by Zo's shedding...'-}}--and I hope we have no more snow this season...I'm tempted to have the farrier take off Zo's anti-snowballing pads when he comes the last weekend in March but I might be tempting fate...'-}}

How are the doggies?

Terrie

Mike
03-05-2006, 01:11 AM
How are the doggies?

Terrie

They're fine. They absolutely love the snow. Fortunately we've built a wet-room style shower room so it's easy to get the snow off their paws when they come in.

Timmy is no longer the baby he was -- he's now taller than the other two and still growing. I really must get round to taking some more photos while he still looks like a lanky teenager -- even if he is only six months old.

terrie
03-06-2006, 01:47 PM
mike: They're fine.Glad to hear that...it was Poppie who was ill wasn't it? Is she doing ok now?

>> They absolutely love the snow. Fortunately we've built a wet-room style shower room so it's easy to get the snow off their paws when they come in.

I would imagine they would...with their long coats, I would imagine the snow really sitcks to their paws...having it melting all over the house would probably not be fun...'-}}

>>I really must get round to taking some more photos while he still looks like a lanky teenager -- even if he is only six months old.

I'd love to see current pics!

Terrie

Mike
03-07-2006, 01:41 AM
I'd love to see current pics!

It's next on the list. As soon as the current job goes live (LGP website) (http://www.lgpcards.com/test/) I'll try to put some more recent pics on the Neuadd Bwll website.

Watch this space...

terrie
03-07-2006, 02:03 PM
mike: Watch this space...Will do...had fun browsing round the website...'-}}

Terrie