PDA

View Full Version : New Lino type catalog

ktinkel
02-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Linotype has just released LinoType A–Z (http://www.linotype.com/6-2646-6/typefacecatalogaz.html), a handsome catalog of the company’s font offerings. These include Linotype original designs; TakeType, a collection of recent fonts by young designers; Lino’s ITC fonts, including some of the classics as well as newer all-digital designs; and fonts from other foundries, including Adobe, Monotype, Bauer, and Omnibus Typografi.

It is hefty (nearly 600 pages), and lists some 1,500 fonts or font families. Aside from showing a sizable collection of fonts available today, the format is useful: Every family or face is shown with the name of its designer, the date of first release, and name of original foundry.

For each entry there is a showing of some portion of the alphabet and figures in roman and italic at 24 point, a few lines of text, and one-line specimens of the complete character set in each style, both in 13 point. Available formats/platforms are also shown for each set.

It also includes odds and ends of useful information (in brief): a description of formats, including OpenType; a listing of popular applications and versions explaining which font formats can be used (useful, though it will quickly become dated); a technical section on character sets; and other font-related topics, all in English, German, and French.

The main book is organized by class (sans, serif, script, decorative/display, uncial/blackletter, pi/image, and central European and non-latin fonts. There is also a straight alphabetical index.

It is a good reference book, especially for $16 (though the shipping to North America is murderous).

ktinkel
02-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Rummaging further in the book.

I caught a few interesting specimens, including one of Rob Slimbach’s amazing Kepler, the multiple master font that proved the concept (shortly before Adobe pulled the plug on the program): Roughly four-and-a-half pages of 13-point one-line specimens including caption, text, subhead, and display in light, regular, semibold, bold, and black weights and semi-condensed, condensed, normal, and extended widths (hope I didn”t miss any!) All this was originally accessible via 2 or 3 MM fonts (and the set included some two dozen instances).

Now, whose fonts are not included in this massive book? Many. Makes us understand how many type families exist today.

Among the notable missing (that I happened to notice, anyway):

Interstate, Sloop, etc. (Font Bureau)
Miller, Big Caslon, Mantinia (Matthew Carter)
Requiem, Ziggurat, Didot (Hoefler/Frere-Jones)
Mrs. Eaves (Emigre)
Today Sans (Scangraphic)

donmcc
03-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Forgive me if this one has been mentioned already: I have been away a bit.

Linotype now have a bound type catalog available at http://www.linotype.com/6-1699-6/brochures.html

Considering that I paid $100 for the Agfa book a few years back, I find this one refreshingly priced at $16 USD.

Does anyone have a copy yet?

ktinkel
03-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Does anyone have a copy yet?Yep. You can read my comments in the New Lino type catalog (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?t=2011) thread.

The $16 price is very good. The $25 shippping/handling fee to North America is not. But I did it anyway.

donmcc
03-01-2006, 12:03 PM
I should have know KT would have a copy. Is the book as nicely bound as the illustration appears?

As for your comments (I kick myself for not looking four items down on the list before making a new thread) is the book expected to be an encyclopedia, or just a listing of the Linotype library. I note you mentioned omissions that were from other foundaries.

ktinkel
03-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Is the book as nicely bound as the illustration appears?

… is the book expected to be an encyclopedia, or just a listing of the Linotype library. It is the entire Linotype library, which includes some collections from other foundries.

It appears that if they do not sell a font directly, it is not in the book.

It seems to be decently bound. The pages open pretty well, which is not always true of books these days. The paper is kind of ordinary, and slightly translucent.

Michael Rowley
03-01-2006, 03:41 PM
KT:

'It appears that if they do not sell a font directly, it is not in the book.'

FontExplorer presumably will also lead you to the fonts Linotype supply: that's the main function (from Linotype's point of view) of a free font manager.

terrie
03-01-2006, 03:44 PM
donmcc: I kick myself for not looking four items down on the list before making a new thread)Not to worry...I've merged the threads into one...

Terrie