PDA

View Full Version : I know I know this font, but...

ElyseC
02-19-2006, 01:01 PM
I am drawing an absolute blank and would love someone to help me ID this font. I know darn well I know this font, so am already prepared to kick myself once someone tells me what it is. :o

ktinkel
02-19-2006, 01:56 PM
I know darn well I know this font, so am already prepared to kick myself once someone tells me what it is. :oI sure don’t!

As we already talked, the closest I came to that goofy o was Cooper Contempo Outline or Contour, but the hook on top of the a is different, and I cannot find a specimen that shows the K.

Some Windsors have back-tilt o but even more different a.

Good luck with it. Since you need just those few characters, I would be tempted to draw them in Illustrator (or Fontographer).

ElyseC
02-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Well, I scrounged around and dug up my old (copyright 1986) Letraset transfer type catalog and found the dratted thing. Page 72. Falstaff.

Problem is, there's a very different font now that's also called Falstaff and it bears zero resemblance to in this Letraset catalog. MyFonts is supposed to carry the old Letraset stuff, but not this one alas.

You know, looking to make our move a year and a half ago, my husband wanted me to get rid of old-technology bits and eyed my transfer type catalogs. I refused to give them up and this is a perfect example of why.

Hope springs eternal that one of the 47,600 Google finds for "falstaff + font" will be the answer.

ktinkel
02-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Well, I scrounged around and dug up my old (copyright 1986) Letraset transfer type catalog and found the dratted thing. Page 72. Falstaff.Brilliant! I didn’t even think to look at Letraset — should have too. The font is kinky enough! <g>

So what will you do? Scan the catalog pages and assemble the word?

ElyseC
02-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Brilliant! I didn’t even think to look at Letraset — should have too. The font is kinky enough! <g>

So what will you do? Scan the catalog pages and assemble the word?Nope. Not right now, anyway. Those tiny samples would just be all fuzz if I blew them up to decent size for drawing. I'm going do my best purse making with this sow's ear, then figure out what to do after this deadline is met.

See, I just knew I'd seen that font somewhere and in my early days as a designer and especially back in college I pored over my collected transfer type books. Did a lot of lucigraph tracing from those books for marker comps and even a couple of final renderings of logo designs with guache and ruling pen. Still have the smell of Chartpak markers in my nose, the last of which were ancient and all dried out when they went into the trash with the waxer before the movers arrived.