PDA

View Full Version : Almost a mystery font

blissfool
02-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi, how is everyone. I'm new here and hoping to get some help identifying a font.

I'm having trouble identifying following font. It almost looks like a Garamond but it has a slabbed serifs instead of pointed ones. Anyone have any idea? I tried whatthefont and identifont... but I don't think I had enough variety of letter for a close match...

Thanks in advance!!!

ktinkel
02-17-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm having trouble identifying following font. It almost looks like a Garamond but it has a slabbed serifs instead of pointed ones. Anyone have any idea? I tried whatthefont and identifont... but I don't think I had enough variety of letter for a close match... Something about the proportions rings a bell with me, but I have had no luck identifying this face.

It’s a modern design (i.e., not an oldstyle like Garamond), and has a flare serif on the bottom of the S that looks especially unusual with those heavy slabs on the l. It could conceivably be hand-drawn (the color and suggestion of texture make me think of pencil-drawing). The exaggerated width of the S and o is unusual, too.

Sorry not to be more helpful. You might want to try Typophile (http://www.typophile.com/) — some of the people there have an uncanny ability to ID unusual fonts.

terrie
02-17-2006, 02:36 PM
I wonder if the "L" is actually an uppercase "I"???

It kind of looks like Galliard or maybe Goudy or Poppl-Laudatio

Terrie

ktinkel
02-17-2006, 04:47 PM
I wonder if the "L" is actually an uppercase "I"???That is definitely possible — it is so heavy.

It kind of looks like Galliard or maybe Goudy or Poppl-LaudatioI don’t think so. Those are both old-style, for one thing. And they tend to be vertically symmetrical as this is not. And they have neither slab nor flare serifs.

This one is a puzzler. Maybe Norbert will come and tell us what it is.

blissfool
02-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've been to typophile already but no luck.
Hoping this is not totally custom... arrrgg

ktinkel
02-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've been to typophile already but no luck.
Hoping this is not totally custom... arrrggSorry if it is. How many characters will you need?

Maybe you can recreate them (or hire someone to do it).

blissfool
03-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I got an updated image which is of higher quality and have completely different look.

Hopefully this time I may have better luck with someone recognizing the font.

Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.blissfool.com/images/SOLOMON.jpg

ktinkel
03-29-2006, 02:05 PM
…better luck with someone recognizing the font.Now it looks a lot like Bookman, mechanically extended about 150%, and in a lighter cut than I have.

I just set it, stretched it, and gave it a one-pixel white stroke to thin out the lines, and got pretty close. I used the Adobe/ITC Bookman Oldstyle; perhaps some other foundry’s would be lighter.

My quicky is attached. How’s that?