PDA

View Full Version : Suitcase Fusion released

ktinkel
01-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Extensis has melded Suitcase to Font Reserve (or vice-versa) and has released a new product: Suitcase Fusion 1.0 (http://www.extensis.com/en/products/font_management/product_information.jsp?id=1060). It costs $100 new, $50 to upgrade from either of its components programs.

Mac only — OS X (10.3.9 or higher). Single-user only. No sign of whether there will be a Windows version.

Downloadable 30-day free trial and PDF user guide at the site.

ElyseC
01-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Are you going to give it a try? I could upgrade from either product, but now am using Font Agent Pro, so will only consider jumping ship if the new thing gets glowing reviews from enough reputable sources. I'm really tired of fussing over and with font management utilities.

Cristen Gillespie
01-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Are you going to give it a try? I could upgrade from either product, but now am using Font Agent Pro, so will only consider jumping ship if the new thing gets glowing reviews from enough reputable sources. I'm really tired of fussing over and with font management utilities.

I'm going to try it. On dialup, I have to schedule it for a night or weekend morning, but it does appear to have a solution for some of the things that bug me about Suitcase. Mind, the solution may be buggy, and I'm a little worried about how the demo works without screwing over my fonts now managed by Suitcase, but hey....I don't ride roller coasters. They're for weenies. The real adventurous install Demos and fools with fonts. LOL

ktinkel
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm really tired of fussing over and with font management utilities.You and me both! I want my ATM Deluxe back — no muss, no fuss, no bother. The darned thing just worked.

I don’t know if I will bother with StuffIt Fusion. It sounds like a stopgap project if you ask me — as my father-in-law liked to say, neither fish (i.e., Suitcase) nor foul (Font Reserve) nor good red herring!

At this point FontAgent Pro is being very naughty. If I add even a single font to the collection, it actually copies over the entire set of fonts that came with Illustrator CS that I had put in previously. Why? Beats me. Makes for a very long process of checking all the fonts (minutes and minutes), and then I have extra housecleaning to do.

Before that, Suitcase was driving me crazy as well, though I do not at this moment remember why. It was slow (and slowed down some apps), that I do remember. But I think there was an even more dire sin.

Lately I have been using stupid Font Book — drag a font in, then turn it off when finished with it. No auto-anything.

Pathetic. Of all the steps backward, font management is the most dramatic.

Michael Rowley
01-13-2006, 03:02 PM
KT:

I want my ATM Deluxe back

It (i.e. an ATM Deluxe replacement) will soon be demanded for Windows, now that the Windows version has been withdrawn too. Even for those that have it still, it's getting a bit long in the tooth, and of course newcomers can't get it.

ElyseC
01-16-2006, 02:41 PM
The real adventurous install Demos and fools with fonts. LOLEspecially the latter! :eek:

Norman Hathaway
01-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Anyone using Linotype's new offering yet?

Mike
01-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Anyone using Linotype's new offering yet?

I've been using it on the Mac Mini. I don't use fonts extensively on that machine -- it's mostly Photoshop work -- but it seems to work well. I'm thinking of installing it onto my main machine (PowerBook) this week.

I upgraded to OS10.4 on the PowerBook last week and it's proving problematic -- Airport connection keeps getting lost, Bluetooth is unreliable and various bits of software don't work the way they should. I did an archive-and-install which seemed to carry over all sorts of crud from the previous system so I'm thinking of doing a clean isntall and setting up the Linotype font manager at the same time in place of Suitcase.

Norman Hathaway
01-17-2006, 05:19 AM
Oh good. Thanks for that Mike.
Keep me posted- you can be the crash test dummy.

N

annc
01-17-2006, 11:53 AM
I upgraded to OS10.4 on the PowerBook last week and it's proving problematic -- Airport connection keeps getting lost, Bluetooth is unreliable and various bits of software don't work the way they should. I did an archive-and-install which seemed to carry over all sorts of crud from the previous system so I'm thinking of doing a clean isntall and setting up the Linotype font manager at the same time in place of Suitcase.Oh, dear. I've got OS X 10.4.3 sitting here on the desk waiting to upgrade later today. I asked in Snarkish and the two replies I received seemed to indicate that it would work.

ktinkel
01-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Oh, dear. I've got OS X 10.4.3 sitting here on the desk waiting to upgrade later today. I asked in Snarkish and the two replies I received seemed to indicate that it would work.Typically, I do not quite remember what advice I had when I first installed Tiger, but it led me to a clean install.

It may have been that I wasn’t sure how well it would work, and since I have several volumes, just installed it on a new one. But then I did have to reinstall all my apps (which gave me a chance to lose a few of them).

I poked around on Macintouch without finding anything particularly relevant. But this is what David Pogue says in the Tiger edition of Mac OS X: The Missing Manual:Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.3. The 10.4 installer can turn your older copy of Macc OS X into the 10.4 version, in the process maintaining all of your older preferences, fonts, documents, accounts, and so on. …

On the other hand, a substantial body of evidence (specifically, hundreds of moaning Mac fans online) points to the wisdom of performing a clean install … rather than an upgrade installation. (Apple calls this the “Archive & Install” option.) A clean installation provides a healthier, more glitch-proof copy of 10.4.

annc
01-17-2006, 12:31 PM
The main problem is that I would have to erase my drive and reinitialise it, because i currently have only one partition. Then there are all those useful little apps that exist only as files in my Applications folder...

Plus the touchy stuff supplied by the Australian Tax Office for lodging my quarterly tax returns.

Norman Hathaway
01-17-2006, 12:34 PM
For what it's worth- I've upgraded 4 Macs without a single problem.
Repair permissions beforehand- install, perform online updats, then repair perms again.

Also- if you have any odd haxies or non-kosher add-ons, remove those before installation as well.

Halstead York
01-20-2006, 09:59 AM
You and me both! I want my ATM Deluxe back — no muss, no fuss, no bother. The darned thing just worked.

I don’t know if I will bother with StuffIt Fusion. It sounds like a stopgap project if you ask me — as my father-in-law liked to say, neither fish (i.e., Suitcase) nor foul (Font Reserve) nor good red herring!

At this point FontAgent Pro is being very naughty. If I add even a single font to the collection, it actually copies over the entire set of fonts that came with Illustrator CS that I had put in previously. Why? Beats me. Makes for a very long process of checking all the fonts (minutes and minutes), and then I have extra housecleaning to do.

Before that, Suitcase was driving me crazy as well, though I do not at this moment remember why. It was slow (and slowed down some apps), that I do remember. But I think there was an even more dire sin.

Lately I have been using stupid Font Book — drag a font in, then turn it off when finished with it. No auto-anything.

Pathetic. Of all the steps backward, font management is the most dramatic.A lot of folks wonder why font management bacame so hard in OSX. The short answer is... OSX.

Back in the OS9 days, the technical complexity of building a font manager was tremendous, but that actual problem (render and activate PS fonts) was pretty simple. So, there were very few players, and they didn't have to try to too hard to meet the need.

With the development of OSX, both of those things changed. First, Apple made it incredibly easy to actually program a font manager by putting many of the needed calls right into the OS. Now a days, any yahoo can wrote a basic font manager.

However, the problem(s) got much more complex. Fonts come in far more officially recognized versions, can sit in a number of places, and are difficult to control beyond the name level. And don't even get me started about Apple's use of Helvetica as a system font. Actually meeting these (and a number of other) needs is a Herculean (but not Sisyphean - I promise) task. It is also my current obsession.

Our team at Extensis spent over two years taking the best of Font Reserve and Suitcase, and built a professional quality font manager from the ground up. I'm incredibly proud of the outcome, but of course I'm biased.

Halstead York
Product Manager, Font Solutions
Extensis

ktinkel
01-20-2006, 11:34 AM
A lot of folks wonder why font management bacame so hard in OSX. The short answer is... OSX.I know that (on some level). Doesn’t make me any less cranky when every aspect of managing fonts has become tediously, annoyingly, difficult.

Now I have not upgraded to Suitcase Fusion, so my discontent is with Suitcase 11, which made me so crazy that I bought FontAgent Pro. And now it is making me crazy, so I have downloaded Linotype FontExplorer to see how it works. If that doesn’t pan out, I may upgrade to Fusion.

As a user I really do not care where the blame finger should point. But I surely do want a more carefree life with fonts!

Thanks for stopping by. Glad to have your view of the situation.

Halstead York
01-20-2006, 01:56 PM
I know that (on some level). Doesn’t make me any less cranky when every aspect of managing fonts has become tediously, annoyingly, difficult.

Now I have not upgraded to Suitcase Fusion, so my discontent is with Suitcase 11, which made me so crazy that I bought FontAgent Pro. And now it is making me crazy, so I have downloaded Linotype FontExplorer to see how it works. If that doesn’t pan out, I may upgrade to Fusion.

As a user I really do not care where the blame finger should point. But I surely do want a more carefree life with fonts!

Thanks for stopping by. Glad to have your view of the situation.

My pleasure- feel free to ask me questions as you have them. And believe me, I do feel your pain. All I can say is that we are working very hard to make font management as painless as we can under OSX.

Halstead York
Extensis

Cristen Gillespie
01-22-2006, 11:47 AM
My pleasure- feel free to ask me questions as you have them. And believe me, I do feel your pain. All I can say is that we are working very hard to make font management as painless as we can under OSX.

Halstead York
Extensis

I'm going to ask a question if you're still around. Fusion is a large download for me, and if the demo conflicts with my current version of Suitcase (XI), I'd like to know beforehand. Does it, or do I simply turn off XI for a bit or what?

Mike
01-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Oh good. Thanks for that Mike.
Keep me posted- you can be the crash test dummy.

N

Well, I won't be doing much this week as I have to get my tax return done -- and before that I've got to process two-years' worth of receipts and invoices.

Halstead York
01-23-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm going to ask a question if you're still around. Fusion is a large download for me, and if the demo conflicts with my current version of Suitcase (XI), I'd like to know beforehand. Does it, or do I simply turn off XI for a bit or what?

You don't want to have them running at the same time, but there is no conflict with having them both installed- Just be sure not to delete your fonts that are in place if you copy them to the vault (which I'd recommend).

Halstead York
Extensis

Cristen Gillespie
01-23-2006, 04:05 PM
You don't want to have them running at the same time, but there is no conflict with having them both installed- Just be sure not to delete your fonts that are in place if you copy them to the vault (which I'd recommend).

Halstead York
Extensis

Thanks. I'll find a quiet evening to download the demo.

Mike
01-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Well, I won't be doing much this week as I have to get my tax return done -- and before that I've got to process two-years' worth of receipts and invoices.

Well. I got bored with my tax return so I did a clean install of Tiger and loaded Font Explorer. So far it's going really well. I dumped a large folder of fonts on it and it's now listing 6103 fonts in its library.

It flagged some as having problems and I sorted out a few of those already (missing printer fonts and that sort of thing) and there's about two dozen more to look at.

The auto-opening feature works well -- it gives me the choice of accepting or ignoring a font request with the options of this time only/always/never for this application and a couple of other options including searching for and buying the font on the Internet. I had to tell it to ignore font requests from Safari and requests for certain fonts from Word. It maintains a list of these exclusions that can be edited.

ktinkel
01-29-2006, 06:09 AM
Well. I got bored with my tax return so I did a clean install of Tiger and loaded Font Explorer. So far it's going really well. Okay! I really must install the thing. It sounds great.

Thanks. And good luck with your tax stuff. I just received the last outside document needed to do ours, so I should get down to it. Dragging my feet. . .