PDA

View Full Version : Begone!!! 2005!

terrie
12-31-2005, 01:32 PM
I can't wait for 2006 to begin as it's got to be better than 2005!

Just to prove that 2005 can still be a pita and a half on the very last day of the year, my truck battery died today while I was at the barn--the truck had acted oddly when I tried to start it this morning at home and then seemed fine.

Two saving graces were that a dead battery (with 2 years left on it supposedly) is better than any other alternative and one of the people at the barn drove to Leesburg (15mins), bought me a new battery and her better than sainted boyfriend followed her back to the barn and put it in for me and wouldn't take any money for doing it--I paid her for the battery.

Nice people is what gets me through the day...

Please...please...please let 2006 be a better year...

Terrie

Susie
12-31-2005, 02:31 PM
--I paid her for the battery.

Nice people is what gets me through the day...

Please...please...please let 2006 be a better year...

Terrie

Amen to that! In the last two weeks, I had to replace both front and back brake pads, then on Christmas day on the highway, my rear tire blew out and we barely avoided a bad accident. So now I'm much poorer, and I've replaced 3 tires.

I'm going to join in with your Please...please...please let 2006 be a better year

annc
12-31-2005, 03:05 PM
It's the bad things that bring out the good in people and show you who your friends are! So we do need a few of them to restore our faith in human nature. http://desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/images/smilies/wink.gif

FWIW, my car still has its original battery; July 2000 was the purchase date, and I do know that the battery was new then, because the car was purpose-built for me. About 18 months ago I flattened it (the battery), and the RACQ (automobile club) man who got me started said it might last another month, but as it was four years old then, he doubted it would give me much more than another week. I do heave a sigh of relief every time I start the car now, especially if I need to be somewhere by a certain time.

We're just over 10 hours into 2006, and so far it's pretty much the same as 2005; hot, sticky, sunny (too sunny; I want rain!). But so far, no emergency helicopters flying over my house on their way to the hospital with road accident victims.

ElyseC
12-31-2005, 03:19 PM
We're just over 10 hours into 2006, and so far it's pretty much the same as 2005; hot, sticky, sunny (too sunny; I want rain!). But so far, no emergency helicopters flying over my house on their way to the hospital with road accident victims.It's less than six hours to 2006 here and it's a rare thing to have helicopters or anything other than miles-high passenger jets appear in the sky overhead. You do notice the handful of times a year, though, that the medical evacuation copter is transporting someone from the county hospital 15 miles to the south up to Univ. of Iowa Hospitals. Those do go directly overhead. Guess we don't have that many highway casualties needing extra care.

annc
12-31-2005, 04:45 PM
It's less than six hours to 2006 here and it's a rare thing to have helicopters or anything other than miles-high passenger jets appear in the sky overhead. You do notice the handful of times a year, though, that the medical evacuation copter is transporting someone from the county hospital 15 miles to the south up to Univ. of Iowa Hospitals. Those do go directly overhead. Guess we don't have that many highway casualties needing extra care.The localhospital is about 1km east of me, and the flight path to the helipad is right over my house. they can't easily come in from the east because there's an airstrip there.

A few months ago I was woken twice in one night by the emergency helicopter flying very low, and very slowly, over the house. A couple of days later the daily paper reported that there had been two road accidents in the area, that the injured had been taken by helicopter to that particular hospital, and that both victims had died.

When I hear it approach, my heart drops into my boots.

Shane Stanley
12-31-2005, 09:34 PM
We're just over 10 hours into 2006, and so far it's pretty much the same as 2005; hot

You don't know hot -- 43ºC here yesterday (109ºF). Ouch...

Shane

annc
12-31-2005, 10:23 PM
You don't know hot -- 43ºC here yesterday (109ºF). Ouch...That's hot! It never gets that hot here, but the humidity makes it feel as if it does. Did you hibernate in the air-conditioning?

ktinkel
01-01-2006, 07:14 AM
I can't wait for 2006 to begin as it's got to be better than 2005! … Please...please...please let 2006 be a better year...Oh, yes! I am with you on that!

We drank two toasts last night: first to the end of wretched 2005 — which has certainly been the most miserable of my life! — and then another with high hopes for a better 2006.

Shane Stanley
01-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Did you hibernate in the air-conditioning?

Much of the time. But sleeping was near impossible over night.

Shane

annc
01-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Much of the time. But sleeping was near impossible over night.Imagine what it must have been like in Sydney last night after a 44ºC day. And bushfires north and south. Most nights here I can turn the airconditioning off and sleep with just a fan, but later in January and in February, the humidity makes the airconditioning a 24 hour necessity.

Shane Stanley
01-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Imagine what it must have been like in Sydney last night after a 44ºC day.

I think I'd rather not. Hobart's looking the place to be.

Shane

annc
01-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Hobart's looking the place to be.Had you forgotten the 1967 bushfires in Tasmania? http://desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/images/smilies/wink.gif I admit, though, the temps there at the moment are lower than our winter ones.

Shane Stanley
01-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Had you forgotten the 1967 bushfires in Tasmania?

Fair point, but they're not quite as frequent down there. And there aren't many options farther south...

Shane

annc
01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
And there aren't many options farther south...True. Antarctica is a bit extreme as a solution...

terrie
01-02-2006, 02:49 PM
susie: Amen to that! In the last two weeks, I had to replace both front and back brake pads, then on Christmas day on the highway, my rear tire blew out and we barely avoided a bad accident. So now I'm much poorer, and I've replaced 3 tires.Ewwww!!! Ick!!! Guess I should feel lucky I just had to replace my battery...

I'll keep my fingers crossed that 2006 is good for you if you'll do the same for me...'-}}

Terrie

terrie
01-02-2006, 02:51 PM
annc: It's the bad things that bring out the good in people and show you who your friends are! So we do need a few of them to restore our faith in human nature.Indeed...fortunately, batteries aren't so expensive that I wanted to trust my old one...it made life easier to have a new one...

Terrie

terrie
01-02-2006, 02:54 PM
kt: and then another with high hopes for a better 2006.I'll make you the same keeping fingers crossed offer I made Susie...'-}}

Terrie

ktinkel
01-02-2006, 04:18 PM
I'll make you the same keeping fingers crossed offer I made Susie...'-}}Good — I do appreciate it. Let us all keep our fingers crossed!

terrie
01-03-2006, 03:58 PM
kt: Let us all keep our fingers crossed!We won't be able to do much this year with our fingers crossed but hopefully, it will be better...'-}}

Terrie

Cristen Gillespie
01-04-2006, 08:07 AM
We won't be able to do much this year with our fingers crossed but hopefully, it will be better...'-}}

Terrie

Well...not promising here, so far. We're back to square one. Mom will be operated on, a hemi hip replacement on her other hip. No choice unless I wanted her to spend the rest of her days on her back, in pain. I'd rather she died under the knife than that. We're going to try to avoid the nightmare of the "skilled" nursing facility if she survives the hospital. So if you cross your fingers, cross them for us. We need it. 6 months of h*ll, just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, a mom finally happy and eating again. I should hold up--no excuse not to, but poor mom. This is really not fair to her.<sigh>

terrie
01-04-2006, 01:22 PM
cristen: We're back to square one. Mom will be operated on, a hemi hip replacement on her other hip. No choice unless I wanted her to spend the rest of her days on her back, in pain.Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear that...my fingers are doubly crossed!

Terrie

ktinkel
01-04-2006, 01:31 PM
We're back to square one. Mom will be operated on, a hemi hip replacement on her other hip. No choice unless I wanted her to spend the rest of her days on her back, in pain. I'd rather she died under the knife than that. … Oh, gee. What a nightmare. Very sorry your mother (and you) need to go through all this.

annc
01-04-2006, 01:37 PM
So if you cross your fingers, cross them for us. We need it. 6 months of h*ll, just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, a mom finally happy and eating again. I should hold up--no excuse not to, but poor mom. This is really not fair to her.<sigh>Oh, dear, I am so sorry to hear of your mother's difficulties. My sympathy to you as well, because it must be both heaertbreaking and frustrating. My fingers are definitely crossed for you both.

Franca
01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm so sorry, Cristen! I hope all goes much better than you expect and that you will have a happy mom again sooner this time. When is her surgery scheduled for? Will be thinking of both of you.

Susie
01-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Ewwww!!! Ick!!! Guess I should feel lucky I just had to replace my battery...

I'll keep my fingers crossed that 2006 is good for you if you'll do the same for me...'-}}

Terrie

You can count on it!

I'm off to a not so grand start, though as my secondary HD is showing signs of failing. I lost the primary in November and was unable to recover anything from it. This time, I moving files to CD as quickly as possible, so if/when it happens, I'll be ready this time! However, I'm optimistic this year.

Cristen Gillespie
01-05-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm so sorry, Cristen! I hope all goes much better than you expect and that you will have a happy mom again sooner this time. When is her surgery scheduled for? Will be thinking of both of you.

Thanks everyone. She was scheduled for yesterday early afternoon, and I was supposed to sit home, stay off the phone (for me that includes internet access), and wait for a call to let me know if she survived. Come 7:30 pm and no word still, I tried to find someone at the hospital who could tell me where she was. No luck. I had visions of my mom stuck in a hallway somewhere, no one knowing where she *should* be. I was about ready to storm the place.<BG>

Finally my Parent Care manager (bless her, mom and I both would be dead without her), got through a welter of phone transfers and mom was found safe, back in her room on the Medical ward. We've got a stream of people scheduled to make daily visits. We're sure going to try to get lucky this time!

Cristen Gillespie
01-05-2006, 08:53 AM
You can count on it!

I'm off to a not so grand start, though as my secondary HD is showing signs of failing. I lost the primary in November and was unable to recover anything from it. This time, I moving files to CD as quickly as possible, so if/when it happens, I'll be ready this time! However, I'm optimistic this year.

Computer trouble seems to come in waves, doesn't it?<sigh> I got lucky that I was able to use my Mac to get all my data off the external hard drive before W2K completely died, and had backed up most of what was on W2K's internal drives first. Then the Mac went down, (I feared the drive but twas the RAM) but I have a boatload of DVDs for both machines and it looks like all I lost (my carelessness) was the registration code for a very cheap plugin. I don't know how I forgot to write it on paper, but no biggie. I'm getting much better about "wasting" CDs on small, incremental backups.

Good luck getting in shape before you fry.

annc
01-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks everyone. She was scheduled for yesterday early afternoon, and I was supposed to sit home, stay off the phone (for me that includes internet access), and wait for a call to let me know if she survived. Come 7:30 pm and no word still, I tried to find someone at the hospital who could tell me where she was. No luck. I had visions of my mom stuck in a hallway somewhere, no one knowing where she *should* be. I was about ready to storm the place.<BG>

Finally my Parent Care manager (bless her, mom and I both would be dead without her), got through a welter of phone transfers and mom was found safe, back in her room on the Medical ward. We've got a stream of people scheduled to make daily visits. We're sure going to try to get lucky this time!That sounds like good news, Cristen (apart from the lack of contact from the hospital).

ElyseC
01-05-2006, 01:11 PM
When I hear it approach, my heart drops into my boots.A year ago October my son and I were driving the road into our little burg from the highway when an ambulance came screaming by us going the other direction. I hoped aloud that whoever was inside would be made whole again and worried a bit, given that this little place probably has no better than a population of 200-250.

Inside was one of Ben's little friends who'd just had his tiny hand severed across the palm. They live at most 100 yards from us. Many surgeries later the little guy (only 2 yrs at the time) had lost only his little finger and is doing well getting PT for his remaining four digits.

annc
01-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Nice to hear a success story, Elyse. Thanks.

Susie
01-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Good luck getting in shape before you fry.

Thanks! I think I've pulled most of it off. I have all of my S/N stored on my Sony Clie (Palm handheld) and on the computer and on a backup disk) so I was able to recover almost all of my programs from the November disaster. This time, I think I'm pretty well protected, and of course, the HD is behaving like it should today. Who knows. Maybe it was just a wake up call!

terrie
01-05-2006, 03:44 PM
susie: I'm off to a not so grand start, though as my secondary HD is showing signs of failing. I lost the primary in November and was unable to recover anything from it. This time, I moving files to CD as quickly as possible, so if/when it happens, I'll be ready this time! Bummer! In July (I think), my pc wouldn't boot--had what appeared to be a RAM error. I went flying over to the computer shop near me--had never used them before--desperate asking if they would try it right then and there and see about putting new RAM in.

They very nicely hooked it up--after opening the box--and said as it tried to boot that my harddrives were going!

Needless to say, I was really freaked out as it had all my disability case files on it and I'd not backed them up in a while and of course all my other stuff. Fortunately, I have my old pc as backup so at least I could get online.

It took them about 4 days--longer than they'd estimated--but in the end, they replaced the RAM and all 3 of my harddrives and were able to get the data off the bad main drive--had my OS--and all the other drives and I was back in business. Wasn't too pricey about $250 for all that.

I was very pleased with the work they did and in November, I decided to add another 1gb of RAM and an additional harddrive (120gb) using some of my refinance money (lost my disability lawsuit in August) so I'm set for awhile...

I hope that you can get all your stuff off your drives!

Terrie

Susie
01-06-2006, 04:25 PM
It took them about 4 days--longer than they'd estimated--but in the end, they replaced the RAM and all 3 of my harddrives and were able to get the data off the bad main drive--had my OS--and all the other drives and I was back in business. Wasn't too pricey about $250 for all that.
Terrie

You're very lucky. I ended up paying $500 to get my PC fixed (had to purchase a new license for XP because I couldn't find my sticker). I checked and it would have been another $500 to $1000 to try to reclaim my old files, if they were recoverable at all. I decided to not take that big a hit financially. I had my finances backed up, and had moved a lot of stuff to my second, external drive. So I was fine, until my external drive decided to get flaky. However, I have all of what I need backed up, found freeware recovery software, and will make an image of that drive.

Funny thing, though, the external drive is behaving just fine the past couple of days, so perhaps the flakiness was just a kick in the pants to get my attention!

terrie
01-07-2006, 03:59 PM
susie: You're very lucky. I ended up paying $500 to get my PC fixed (had to purchase a new license for XP because I couldn't find my sticker).Bummer!!! When I had my pc custom built a few years ago, they put the W2K sticker right on top of the case which made it convenient when I took the pc in to have this work done...

>> I checked and it would have been another $500 to $1000 to try to reclaim my old files, if they were recoverable at all.

Wow!!! Fortunately, they were able to just clone all my drives. It was a bit tricky with the drive that was bad but in the end, they were able to get it all. I can't tell you how relieved I was. I kept thanking the tech guy over and over and over again...'-}}

The day I got it back, I spent the rest of the day backing up data files and making a Drive Image copy of my OS drive...

>>However, I have all of what I need backed up, found freeware recovery software, and will make an image of that drive.

What did you use?

>>Funny thing, though, the external drive is behaving just fine the past couple of days, so perhaps the flakiness was just a kick in the pants to get my attention!

Indeed...'-}}

Terrie

Cristen Gillespie
01-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks! I think I've pulled most of it off. I have all of my S/N stored on my Sony Clie (Palm handheld) and on the computer and on a backup disk) so I was able to recover almost all of my programs from the November disaster. This time, I think I'm pretty well protected, and of course, the HD is behaving like it should today. Who knows. Maybe it was just a wake up call!

I was grateful I was having it misbehave, then behave, for long enough to do something before it croaked. I have a friend who had 2 drives go down, the old one and the replacement, within a month of each other, AND she had no warning.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it will run smoothly.

Susie
01-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I was grateful I was having it misbehave, then behave, for long enough to do something before it croaked. I have a friend who had 2 drives go down, the old one and the replacement, within a month of each other, AND she had no warning.

That's what happened to me in November. It was my other "wake up" call! When I picked up my computer from the shop, the last thing the tech said was "Back Up!" I've now purchased a backup program and try to keep somewhat regular backups of my files. It's scary to lose all your data with no warning!

Susie
01-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Bummer!!! When I had my pc custom built a few years ago, they put the W2K sticker right on top of the case which made it convenient when I took the pc in to have this work done... Terrie

According to the tech who worked on my computer, that's what the man who built my computer should have done. Instead, he copied the number onto a label and affixed it to the top of the computer. The printing had completely worn off when my HD died. I was not a happy camper! The label for my new copy is firmly attached to the side of my computer and it shouldn't fade...Bill Gates would never let that happen:)

terrie
01-09-2006, 04:45 PM
susie: According to the tech who worked on my computer, that's what the man who built my computer should have done. Instead, he copied the number onto a label and affixed it to the top of the computer. The printing had completely worn off when my HD died.What a pita...don't you have the window's CDs? I have those in a case and have the serial number written on a label I put on the CD case...

Terrie

Susie
01-09-2006, 07:43 PM
What a pita...don't you have the window's CDs? I have those in a case and have the serial number written on a label I put on the CD case...

Terrie

Unfortunately, I didn't do that. I had the CD, but no S/N, and they said they couldn't install without that number. I understand that under the new activation rules. Didn't make me happy, but there it is.

iamback
01-10-2006, 03:55 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't do that. I had the CD, but no S/N, and they said they couldn't install without that number. I understand that under the new activation rules. Didn't make me happy, but there it is.Even before versions with the new activation rules, you cannot install Windows without a serial number: you always need one.

terrie
01-10-2006, 02:00 PM
susie: I had the CD, but no S/N, and they said they couldn't install without that number.Bummer...

Terrie