PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays from DC

dacoyle
12-24-2005, 04:20 PM
http://dacoyle.com/santapaws.jpg

Franca
12-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Happy holidays, Dennis! Love the grumpy cat. :)

marlene
12-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Happy Holidays from the other side of the river -- Silver Spring!

mxh

ktinkel
12-26-2005, 04:44 AM
My [perhaps even grumpier] cats declined to pose (and I didn’t even try to get them to wear funny hats), but I am sure they wish you and your cats all the best! And so do I!

dacoyle
12-26-2005, 08:35 AM
My [perhaps even grumpier] cats declined to pose (and I didn’t even try to get them to wear funny hats), but I am sure they wish you and your cats all the best! And so do I!

Kathleen,

Heinlein is very laid back, but the first time I got the hat on him, I didn't have the camera ready and he fled under the bed, knocking off the hat. Second time, I held Heinlein while Dave had the camera ready... and after the first couple pics, he sulked long enough to get the solo shots.

He's forgiven me.

dacoyle
12-26-2005, 08:35 AM
Happy Holidays from the other side of the river -- Silver Spring!

mxh

Well, almost. Where I am, the other side of the river is DC. ;-> But, close enough.

Franca
12-26-2005, 10:03 AM
It was not a good photo Christmas for us, either! The cats refused to do anything cute while the camera was poised and the dogs ... my highly obedience-trained dogs were just too excited to stay still. Sigh. I ended up having almost enough German Shepherd dog fur on me to step in as a substitute dog. So we have scads of goofy dog pics and one each of two cats sleeping off their catnip. Not very inspiring. The tree pics were nice, though. Just have to get them out of the camera and onto the computer.

We had the most amazing tree this year. We were all set to buy the same sort of tree we had last year but when we went to the farm we were sidetracked. We had two nice cedar trees selected as possibilities when I decided to take a quick look at the rest of the trees. I was struck by one tree that was most unusual. It had very short little needles and when rubbed they smelled of lemon! Turned out it was a Monterey cypress and we had to have it.

It's been the almost perfect tree and we will probably try to find another next year. While not quite hypoallergenic, I was much less sensitive to it than to previous trees that have all left me with itchy contact rashes on my arms. Because of the lemon scent the cats have left it completely alone. It's been an annual ritual to have Christmas needle gnawing and subsequent vomiting ever since we brought Leo home nine years ago. This year we have cleaned up no kitty barf with needles in it. In fact since we finished the decorating we've cleaned up no needles whatsoever - the tree is still drinking quantities of water and seems to be game to live on forever! The branches are strong enough for our heaviest ornaments. The only drawback is that it doesn't make the house smell like Christmas. Next year we will buy some more traditional greens or a wreath to take care of that minor detail!

dthomsen8
12-26-2005, 05:12 PM
The cat's first name is Robert A., right? :)

ElyseC
12-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Love it! It's in the same vein as the card I sent to family members this year...

Front cover: grumpy looking orange tabby staring at camera, dress-your-pet-up tie-on reindeer antlers tied to grumpy cat's head.

Inside: "And they wonder why I scratch the furniture."

ktinkel
12-28-2005, 07:15 AM
... and after the first couple pics, he sulked long enough to get the solo shots. And it shows. <g> Typical cat!

I did find one photo of our grumpy girl, Pi (attached). That thing in front of her is the best cat toy we ever found — a fake-fur mouse with a velcro-closed pouch for catnip. We actually have four of them. The other cat likes to bring them to us, crooning triumphantly. Pi just rolls around and pretends to kill them. (But we have had the same four mice for 4 years now, and they are all intact.)

ElyseC
12-28-2005, 08:21 AM
That thing in front of her is the best cat toy we ever found — a fake-fur mouse with a velcro-closed pouch for catnip. We actually have four of them. The other cat likes to bring them to us, crooning triumphantly. Pi just rolls around and pretends to kill them. (But we have had the same four mice for 4 years now, and they are all intact.)How on earth can you keep them for that long?? We buy cheapo fur mice and our three manage to lose them within anything from 5 to 15 minutes. We only find them if we rearrange furniture and not always then. They throw them up in the air and the two cats who are best buddies tag team tackle them. They dash about wildly batting the things until they disappear. Once in a great while we'll catch a cat looking mournfully at some piece of furniture, nook or cranny and we try fishing under it with a long stick.

Of course the thing they cannot lose or make a mess with is the catnip spray we found at the pet store. Wonderful stuff! No messy leaves! Clear liquid that can be sprayed wherever you want. We have a blast spraying it on their cat tower and the little rug we keep by the door to the deck. They all go nuts scratching it, rolling on it and trying to lick up the droplets. Then they take off on wild games of tag. Good entertainment for us! <g>

ktinkel
12-28-2005, 08:46 AM
How on earth can you keep them for that long?? We buy cheapo fur mice and our three manage to lose them within anything from 5 to 15 minutes. They weren’t cheap — $4 or $5 each, as I recall. That may help. They are well constructed.

And our cats are really old, so maybe are not too rough on them.

ElyseC
12-28-2005, 12:18 PM
They weren’t cheap — $4 or $5 each, as I recall. That may help. They are well constructed.

And our cats are really old, so maybe are not too rough on them.Well, I cannot fathom paying that much, because this crew would lose 'em anyway, unless they're truly large and if large, the cats would likely ignore them, even if sprayed with catnip juice. Finicky beasts!

Two of ours are getting up there in age, too. Salt turns 16 and Cocoa 15 this spring. The other, the tub-o-lard cat, turns only 6 with Ben in March. They all attack those mice and dash around the place. The local groomer has only seen our long-hair, Cocoa, but was absolutely floored last month to find out Cocoa is nearly 15. She and the vet (who she rents space from) took her for much younger. It's tub-o-lard cat and Salt who have multiple mock battles every day, loud wrestling matches, boxing, chasing, stalking and pouncing, then plopping down on our bed to groom each other.

ktinkel
12-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Two of ours are getting up there in age, too. Ernie is 21, Pi 20, best as we can remember. We found both of them in our yard (next to a public parking lot — summer people would drop off their inconvenient pets before going back to the city at the end of the summer; creeps!).

They are both in pretty good shape, though Ernie does sleep a lot. But when he is up, he is really up, running around, doing cat things.

ElyseC
12-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Ernie is 21, Pi 20, best as we can remember.That is getting up there! I read somewhere that, if you want to figure out how old your cat is in terms humans can relate to, the first year count as 20 human years, then for every year after that add 4. I don't know how accurate that is, but do know I've read several times you can't assign the dog-year scale to cats.

We found both of them in our yard (next to a public parking lot — summer people would drop off their inconvenient pets before going back to the city at the end of the summer; creeps!).Got Salt kind of that way. Went to the city animal shelter to get ourselves two cats. Found our now long-deceased Pepper and another cat, but the other cat wasn't going to be free to go to a new home for another three days, so we paid for Pepper and planned to return three days later on the dot. Got to the car and found a dad and two kids crawling around looking under cars. The dad said they'd heard a kitten crying, said they thought someone drove by the shelter and dumped it in the parking lot. They gave up trying to find it and we looked a bit, but didn't even hear it, so got in the car. As we were pulling away, Bruce just happened to look in his side mirror and spot a small bundle of white fur on the inside of another car's tire. We stopped, I got its attention and Bruce quietly reached around from behind it and grabbed. We opened Pepper's box, dumped Salt in with her, she hissed at him, we closed the lid and home we drove. Never went back to the shelter for the other cat.