PDA

View Full Version : New Benguiat fonts from House Industries

ktinkel
02-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Five Ed Benguiat fonts (http://www.houseindustries.com/) and a collection of dingbats are featured in the new House Industries mailing promoting a collection that also includes a book, a video, and a statuette of the type designer, all for a $160 (!!).

Benguiat is an extraordinary lettering artist and type designer. He designed something like 500 fonts for Photo-Lettering in its heyday, then went on to design dozens (hundreds?) more for ITC, including some of the fonts most of us love to complain about, including Korinna and Souvenir.

Even if you don’t appreciate some of his designs, you cannot fault Benguiat’s work, some of it, especially scripts, very beautiful. And it is a good thing that the odd, dated, but historically important Photo-Lettering library will not get lost. House acquired rights to it a couple of years ago — guess this is the first fruit of that deal.

terrie
02-11-2005, 02:21 PM
A statue?!!!

Terrie

ElyseC
02-11-2005, 02:44 PM
And it is a good thing that the odd, dated, but historically important Photo-Lettering library will not get lost. House acquired rights to it a couple of years ago — guess this is the first fruit of that deal.
I wonder if they're going to redo any of the EB fonts that ol' Jerry S. got rights to digitize. I wonder what happened to all of the ones he did do...

ktinkel
02-11-2005, 04:51 PM
A statue?!!!

TerrieYup.

What can I say? <g>

terrie
02-12-2005, 10:47 AM
And it's ugly too...'-}}

Terrie

tphinney
02-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Ed Interlock is particularly impressive. All those ligatures (1100+ IIRC).

T

ktinkel
02-16-2005, 05:42 AM
Ed Interlock is particularly impressive. All those ligatures (1100+ IIRC).

THey, Thomas — lovely to have you here.

Haven’t seen Ed Interlock. Will that be released by House? Or someone else?

tphinney
02-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Yes, Ed Interlock will be coming out from House. It's very cool the way the letters contextually interlock, creating this funky block lettering in the style of the 50s and early 60s.

scottleyes
03-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Haven’t seen Ed Interlock. Will that be released by House? Or someone else?

Fun, fun, fun... I wish I had the time/patience/talent to do that much work to create a face. Definitely one of the best examples of what Opentype is capable of. AND you can "play" with Interlock on House's web site, where it'll let you type in your own word(s) and set it for you -- but remember, only the CAPs interlock. I love to play with envelope distorts in AI using Interlock.

The other four Benguiat faces are great too -- though I'm still working to find a use for script, I've already managed to use the other four faces on various layouts (gotta get my money's worth, ya know). And the Bengbats are just silly fun.

ElyseC
03-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Very fun! I immediately think of the Monkees, Brady Bunch or Partridge Family, that whole era, when I see that...

ktinkel
03-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Fun, fun, fun... I wish I had the time/patience/talent to do that much work to create a face. Definitely one of the best examples of what Opentype is capable of. AND you can "play" with Interlock on House's web site, where it'll let you type in your own word(s) and set it for you -- but remember, only the CAPs interlock. I love to play with envelope distorts in AI using Interlock.Oh, I see. FUN! <g>

Thanks for the nice image.