PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Owades’s father

ktinkel
12-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Joseph Owades, father of long-time forum member Stephen Owades, died December 16, 2005 at his home in Sonoma, California. We offer Stephen and his family our condolences.

Joseph Owades was a luminary of the brewing industry. He developed the technology that enabled light beer and worked for many of the world’s notable breweries, including Rheingold; Anheuser-Busch; Carling; Anchor (the steamed beer people) in San Francisco; Boston Brewing (where he developed Samuel Adams Lager); and more.

He was honored with four independently-written obituaries in major newspapers (San Francisco Chronicle, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and New York Times).

Stephen has created a Wikipedia entry for Joseph Owades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Owades) that includes his biography, links to the obituaries, and details about his work. It is a good read — Stephen’s dad really sounds like someone we would all have enjoyed knowing.

terrie
12-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Stephen...I'm so sorry.

Terrie

deB
12-23-2005, 04:28 PM
My dad passed away this summer, so I'm freshly aware of what it feels like.

As some of you know, I was a classmate of Stephen's in college. He sometimes mentioned that his father was involved in brewing science, but with characteristic modesty he never mentioned HOW involved.

Dave

ktinkel
12-23-2005, 04:35 PM
My dad passed away this summer, so I'm freshly aware of what it feels like.So sorry, deB. I don’t know how old we must be before we feel as if we are orphaned!
As some of you know, I was a classmate of Stephen's in college. He sometimes mentioned that his father was involved in brewing science, but with characteristic modesty he never mentioned HOW involved.I felt the same way! Typical!

So glad to see you here. How the hell are you? Happy New Year!

deB
12-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Holy cow, it wasn't just Sam Adams... from the SF Chronicle obituary:

"As a Bay Area resident, Mr. Owades became the guru of the microbrewing industry, creating the formulas for Samuel Adams, Tuborg, New Amsterdam Beer, Pete's Wicked Ale and Foggy Bottom Beer, among others. Rheingold Beer, which was the first and last beer to be brewed in New York City, resurrected the brand several years ago, hiring Mr. Owades to re-create the flavor he invented some 40 years before."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/20/BAG72GAOJP1.DTL

ktinkel
12-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Holy cow, it wasn't just Sam Adams … Yep. Who woulda thunk it?

My father-in-law was nine years older than Stephen’s father. They came from a NYC generation that we may never see again. Len (Jack’s father) went to Cooper Union. He always said he was grateful to the school because it offered him an education when he needed it.

Unlike Steve’s father, Len did not become a renowned genius. But he was a beloved teacher to thousands of students, as we discovered first when he retired after 45 years in the NYC school system and then, years later, when he died.

Steve’s dad was amazing. I love his biography.