PDA

View Full Version : Wonderfully done...

terrie
12-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Plantage (http://samorost2.net/plantage/) will take some time to load and it definitely requires broadband...so if you have the time and the connection, it's worth seeing...

Terrie

Franca
12-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Wow. That was very, very cool. How did you find it?

annc
12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
This (http://samorost2.net/plantage/) will take some time to load and it definitely requires broadband...so if you have the time and the connection, it's worth seeing...

TerrieThank you, thank you, thank you, Terrie - you helped me find the original Samorost, which is the one I was asking about a couple of months ago, Franca.

That is here (http://www.samorost2.net/samorost1/)!

Ian Petersen
12-21-2005, 09:13 PM
And the young lady doing the Björk impressions is actually err ... singing, in Danish. And no, we don't all sound like that!

Bo Aakerstrom
12-22-2005, 04:14 AM
And the young lady doing the Björk impressions is actually err ... singing, in Danish. And no, we don't all sound like that!

In Sweden we make fun of the Danish language, but as my grandfather is Danish perhaps I shouldn't say too much about that...

Had a look at some of the other work done by the same people that did this. Impressive stuff. I would stay off the mushrooms though!

Ian Petersen
12-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Well, I'm not really Danish either - I just live here - so I can make fun of it too. It sounds like a throat infection for the most part! <g>

terrie
12-22-2005, 01:37 PM
franca: Wow. That was very, very cool. How did you find it?Someone on Yahoo's Digital Fine Arts list posted it...

Terrie

terrie
12-22-2005, 01:38 PM
annc: Thank you, thank you, thank you, Terrie - you helped me find the original Samorost, which is the one I was asking about a couple of months ago, Franca.
That is here (http://www.samorost2.net/samorost1/)!I remember that!!! It's so funny because I thought this new one was familiar...now I know...

Terrie

PS...you're welcome...'-}}

annc
12-22-2005, 01:46 PM
I remember that!!! It's so funny because I thought this new one was familiar...now I know...

Terrie

PS...you're welcome...'-}}I am forever in your debt!

Do play Samorost again. It's been a while now.

Oh, and Samorost 2 (http://www.samorost2.net/) is even better. Especially if you cough up the USD9.90 for Chapter 2.

terrie
12-22-2005, 01:52 PM
annc: Do play Samorost again. It's been a while now.I did try it just a bit ago...it gives me a headache...'-}} Need to play it again when I have more time and I'm not hungry for dinner (it's about 6pm here)...'-}}

Terrie

annc
12-22-2005, 02:12 PM
I did try it just a bit ago...it gives me a headache...'-}} Need to play it again when I have more time and I'm not hungry for dinner (it's about 6pm here)...'-}}This is one of those games that make you forget about food. And other things. I should be hanging clothes on the line right now, but am stuck in majak in Samorost 2. :p

Michael Rowley
12-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Bo:

In Sweden we make fun of the Danish language

And in Denmark, they used to ridicule the 'ignorant' Swedish farmers that couldn't make a living at home, so came to Denmark as labourers. Or so it said in the very good film I saw with whatisname playing the part of the rather slow, elderly Swede, who came with his much quicker son.

Richard Waller
12-22-2005, 11:38 PM
A note to all - loved the reference, but it really would help if when you are pointing us to a website someplace else you gave the URL instead of burying it in a small word which I have difficulty spotting. Thanks. And a Hap and a Mer for the festive season.

Ian Petersen
12-23-2005, 10:36 AM
but it really would help if when you are pointing us to a website someplace else you gave the URL instead of burying it in a small word which I have difficulty spottingUmm. Not to be rude or anything, but the notion of the hyperlink is rather central to how the web works. If we had to write and read URLs (why not IP addresses?) every time a link is used I don't think the web would have quite the popularity it has now. <g>

If your browser doesn't let you configure the appearance of hyperlinks so you can see them, you should perhaps use a different browser.

Richard Waller
12-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Quite right. And indeed if you mouse-over the link it shows at the bottom of my display in the prompt line. But if I read the message at speed and learn from the text that it is worth going there, then I have to search back for the link. Why should I have to search. And if I print the page for later digestion then the link is lost to me.

A parallel argument is against people who insist on taking out the underscore on links on their websites so that it is not clear they are links. I would always put a arrow marker on the front of such links. I want to make it as easy as possible for the visitor.

terrie
12-23-2005, 11:11 AM
annc: This is one of those games that make you forget about food.Not me...but I'm not much for this sort of thing...not sure why...'-}

Terrie

terrie
12-23-2005, 11:13 AM
>>richard: A note to all - loved the reference, but it really would help if when you are pointing us to a website someplace else you gave the URL instead of burying it in a small word which I have difficulty spotting. Thanks.

That's my fault...sorry about that...I've fixed it a bit...if you'd scroll back and let me know if what I have now is a bit better...I could also put the actual url in the post too...will do that in the future...

>>And a Hap and a Mer for the festive season.

LOL!!! You too!

Terrie

Daudio
12-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Do play Samorost again.
This is the first I have seen of these games. I was well and truley caught ! Played both of them in one siting.

A fine combination of very nice graphics, fun characters, and not-too hard puzzles. A bit Myst-like, but online, a new wrinkle for me.

Thanks much for turning me on to them.

And since the singer in the original link wasn't credited, how are we to know it wasn't Bjork ? Sounded like her to me, and while I'm not an expert, I have listened to a lot of her work.

Franca
12-23-2005, 11:30 AM
That's my fault...sorry about that...I've fixed it a bit...if you'd scroll back and let me know if what I have now is a bit better...Looks lovely to me! :)

terrie
12-23-2005, 11:35 AM
franca: Looks lovely to me!Oh good...hopefully, Richard will find it better too...'-}}

Terrie

annc
12-23-2005, 11:42 AM
This is the first I have seen of these games. I was well and truley caught ! Played both of them in one siting.

A fine combination of very nice graphics, fun characters, and not-too hard puzzles. A bit Myst-like, but online, a new wrinkle for me.

Thanks much for turning me on to them.They are great, aren't they? Let's hope we don't have to wait so long for the third one.

Did you pay up and get Chapter 2 of Samorost 2? It is worth the money in my book, and if it lets them spend more time on the next version, then it's well worth it.

Franca
12-23-2005, 11:47 AM
There's such a long wait between versions that I'm trying to make Chapter 2 last a bit longer than Chapter 1 did. I'm intentionally rationing myself. ;)

annc
12-23-2005, 12:07 PM
There's such a long wait between versions that I'm trying to make Chapter 2 last a bit longer than Chapter 1 did. I'm intentionally rationing myself. ;)Are you also able to leave chocolate in the house uneaten? :):)

terrie
12-23-2005, 12:35 PM
annc: This is one of those games that make you forget about food. And other things. I should be hanging clothes on the line right now, but am stuck in majak in Samorost 2.Had lunch ('-}}) and then when back and played the first one and actually go through it this time...will try the 2nd one soon...'-}}

Terrie

ktinkel
12-23-2005, 01:03 PM
… loved the reference, but it really would help if when you are pointing us to a website someplace else you gave the URL instead of burying it in a small word which I have difficulty spotting. Sorry you found the link easy to miss (so did I, actually — it would be better to have a longer, more explicit passage so it stands out better).

The reason it is better to cloak the URL in that way is a bug in the forum software. If you post the long URL (and many of them are very long), instead of wrapping somehow, it sometimes widens the message windows for the entire thread, which is also irritating. (Or it breaks the URL so it works here but if you copy it to pass along to someone else or to repeat it in a message, it will be broken.) So cloaking works best in the long run.

However, you made a good point. As soon as we figure out how, we will do something to make link text more obvious: bold, a brighter color — something like that.

annc
12-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Had lunch ('-}}) and then when back and played the first one and actually go through it this time...will try the 2nd one soon...'-}}Oh, good. Nothing like sharing an addiction. :)

Franca
12-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, not forever, of course! I feel I've been quite restrained limiting myself to two or three hits on the Christmas chocolates per day....

Franca
12-23-2005, 02:48 PM
And, of course, there's Tiny URL (http://tinyurl.com) which does a lovely job of containing unruly URLs. A tiny URL wouldn't dream of wrapping. Can't say what happens to it when it gets copied out of here, though....

annc
12-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Well, not forever, of course! I feel I've been quite restrained limiting myself to two or three hits on the Christmas chocolates per day....That's very restrained. I didn't buy any this Christmas (and we don't do Christmas presents) so this is currently a chocolate-free zone. My current temptation is some premium (i.e. no peanuts) raw mixed nuts.

Does anybody have a good recipe for spiced nuts? There was one in the magazine of one of the papers here last weekend, but the recycle bin was collected on Wednesday, so it's gone.

iamback
12-24-2005, 12:05 AM
And, of course, there's Tiny URL (http://tinyurl.com) which does a lovely job of containing unruly URLs. A tiny URL wouldn't dream of wrapping. Can't say what happens to it when it gets copied out of here, though.... And one major problem: you can't see where it leads to, and would have to believe the poster on hir word (not a problem here, but it may be in some contexts); at least you'd have to add a description of the destination.

Ian Petersen
12-24-2005, 12:14 AM
For links in running text (such as messages on a forum like this) I personally prefer them to be as subtle as possible. If they are too obvious they disturb the flow of the text. However, if they are too subtle I may miss a link occasionally, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. <g>

Obviously, not all web designers or web readers have the same opinions, tastes or talent for webdesign, so one will inevitably encounter sites with content one finds interesting but design that is less than pleasing - e.g. invisible or too obvious links.

What to do? In a printed book, if you don't like the typography then there's really nothing you can do about it. Either you simply don't read the book or you read it anyway while muttering curses at the designer/publisher/printer responsible. Web pages, thankfully, have another option: take control of the page design yourself! The user can always override a site's design if needed. Most browsers allow you to choose your own fonts, link colour and whether links are underlined or not. Others allow you to specify a complete custom CSS for different needs. For example, I use my own customized user-CSS file for this forum since I don't particularly like the default design. It's also possible to make a print stylesheet that writes out the URLs on paper while still only showing ordinary links onscreen.

JVegVT
01-03-2006, 07:27 PM
And one major problem: you can't see where it leads to, and would have to believe the poster on hir word (not a problem here, but it may be in some contexts); at least you'd have to add a description of the destination.
Not any more. You can choose to have Tiny URLs previewed to show you where you're going. Then it's up to you whether you want to see the site. Read about it here:
http://tinyurl.com/preview.php

I've had this enabled in my browser for quite a while and I no longer have to depend on the reliability of whoever posted the Tiny URL.
--Judy M.

iamback
01-04-2006, 12:23 PM
You can choose to have Tiny URLs previewed to show you where you're going. Then it's up to you whether you want to see the site. Read about it here:
http://tinyurl.com/preview.php So... I "enabled" preview and now this (http://tinyurl.com/8wso7) link should show where it is going? Let's see... Nope - all it shows is http://tinyurl.com/8wso7 which is the tinyurl URL itself - not its target.

I have no idea what that preview feature is supposed to be doing, actually... All they say is: Don't want to be instantly redirected to a TinyURL and instead want to see where it's going before going to the site? Not a problem with our preview feature. which doesn't explain anything at all.

JVegVT
01-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Your tinyurl link worked for me. When I clicked on it, it took me to a page at tinyurl.com with this:

Preview of TinyURL.com/8wso7
This TinyURL redirects to:
http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/show
thread.php?p=19922#post19922

Proceed to TinyURL.com/8wso7

=====================

The "Proceed to TinyURL" is a link that takes you to what you made a tinyURL link to.

You need persistent cookies enabled in order for this to work. Maybe that's why it's not working for you.

It works for me in both Windows and Linux.
--Judy M.

Franca
01-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Yes, TinyURL's preview feature works for me as well. Win XP Pro/Firefox