PDA

View Full Version : Beethoven's birthday

ktinkel
12-16-2005, 07:44 AM
David Rakowski reminds us that today is Beethoven’s 235th birthday. Reminded of that, what sprang instantly into my mind was a pianist friend in college. He was studying the bagatelles (Op. 26), and I used to study while he played on a huge old grand piano.

To this day, I think of the bagatelles when I think of Beethoven, even though I have since come to love Symphony No. 7 and the quartets, particularly the later ones (most of his chamber music, in fact). (And, yes, of course, Symphony No. 9.)

Our local public radio station (WSHU) is playing wall-to-wall Beethoven today. Wonder if they will get to any of the bagatelles. (I would be content even with the Op. 19 set.)

During the 60s and 70s I went through a period of despising Beethoven. Not sure why — too forceful, maybe? But that passed eventually. Happy birthday, old boy!

Franca
12-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Happy Birthday, Ludwig! I love Beethoven, always have, because I grew up with him (so to speak). I also think the 7th symphony is a wonderful work, as well as my sentimental favorite, the Pastoral (6th). The 9th, of course, is spectacular ... but I don't think I could listen to it every day.

annc
12-16-2005, 11:05 AM
For many years, before I grew in understanding of Bach, Beethoven was my favourite composer. As a dancer, I just loved the melodies, and my real introduction was the sixth symphony. I still love all the symphonies, the four piano concertos, and the violin concerto (particularly the Nathan Milstein recording, which was recommended to me by Phil Gaskill).

So happy birthday Ludwig!

Franca
12-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Oh, yes - the violin concerto. Lovely.

annc
12-16-2005, 01:23 PM
Oh, yes - the violin concerto. Lovely.Not to forget Rage over a lost penny! Oh to be able to express the irritations of life so memorably.

Franca
12-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Oh to be able to express the irritations of life so memorably.I frequently have that wish.

George
12-17-2005, 05:47 AM
To this day, I think of the bagatelles when I think of Beethoven,

I can't even imagine the Lone Ranger without Beethoven's Fifth symphony. That was part of Ludwig's genius, I guess. How did he know there would be a Lone Ranger??

Regards,

George

ktinkel
12-17-2005, 08:41 AM
I can't even imagine the Lone Ranger without Beethoven's Fifth symphony. That was part of Ludwig's genius, I guess. How did he know there would be a Lone Ranger??Beethoven? I remember the Lone Ranger — a favorite radio program when I was a kid — as from the “William Tell Overture,” which is by Rossini.

annc
12-17-2005, 02:22 PM
which is by Rossini.Who, poor bloke, only gets a birthday every four years.

JVegVT
12-17-2005, 09:36 PM
I have lots of Beethoven favorites. Love all the chamber music, sonatas, choral works, Fidelio. How cruel that he went deaf!
--Judy M.