PDA

View Full Version : Got auction fever?

ktinkel
02-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Forum member Gary is involved in a startup auction site, now open (in beta) and accepting new participants. Looks pretty serious, with plans for a mall as well as auctions.

There isn’t much to bid on yet (four items at this moment, including a copy of Spellbound #33, a sci-fi/horror mag from the 1950s — I swear I must have seen that cover, way back when!), but you can sell free for 30 days, which seems to me to be a smart way to encourage people to try it out.

If you’re used to eBay, this will look familiar, although the layout is less cluttered. Anyway, I know some of you love auctions, so thought I’d mention it. (If you decide to register and get there via the link below, Gary gets credit.)

http://www.quty.com

Franca
02-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Yes, at the moment, unfortunately I do! I've been increasing my stock of Taylor & Ng mugs and Laurel Burch mugs and earrings. Eek! I would certainly save money if I visited Gary's site exclusively for a little while. ;-) Anyway, I've bookmarked it and will be checking in periodically. Thanks for the lead.

terrie
02-15-2005, 10:48 AM
>>marlene: Taylor & Ng mugs and Laurel Burch

Where did you find those...can't find anything...

Terrie

Franca
02-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Are you sure you want me to post these? ;-)

http://search.ebay.com/Taylor-Ng_W0QQfromZR9QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsaetmZ1108442735QQ satitleZTaylorQ20Q26Q20NgQQsojsZ1QQsspagenameZADME Q3aBQ3aSSQ3aUSQ3a21QQversionZ2

http://search.ebay.com/Laurel-Burch-mug_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR9QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQftrtZ1 QQftrvZ1QQsaetmZ1108442735QQsatitleZLaurelQ20Burch Q20Q2bQ20mugQQsojsZ1QQsspagenameZADMEQ3aBQ3aSSQ3aU SQ3a24QQversionZ2

http://search.ebay.com/Laurel-burch-earrings_W0QQfromZR9QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsaetmZ110844 2735QQsatitleZLaurelQ20burchQ20Q2bQ20earringsQQsoj sZ1QQsspagenameZADMEQ3aBQ3aSSQ3aUSQ3a24QQversionZ2

terrie
02-15-2005, 11:35 AM
>>franca: Are you sure you want me to post these? ;-)

LOL!!! I thought you found them at Gary's site...

I have the first set of horsey Burch mugs--the black ones--my sister gave them to me as a gift years ago...I love them...I also have one of her cat mugs...

I guess I should look at the completed auctions to see what these are going for...I believe the original price on the horse mugs was something like $80...

Terrie

Franca
02-15-2005, 12:17 PM
>>franca: Are you sure you want me to post these? ;-)

LOL!!! I thought you found them at Gary's site...

I have the first set of horsey Burch mugs--the black ones--my sister gave them to me as a gift years ago...I love them...I also have one of her cat mugs...

I guess I should look at the completed auctions to see what these are going for...I believe the original price on the horse mugs was something like $80...Don't think I've seen any of the original horse mugs yet. Nor very many of the original earrings I've got. I have purchased some really cool vintage Taylor & Ng mugs that I've always wanted, though. Ones from 1976-79 that my father has or that I had and broke, plus other ones that none of us in my family ever got. I saw a fairly rare cat dish go for $56! I have three of them, plus a dog dish that I've not seen on eBay so far. Unfortunately they give me more pleasure the way they are than they would in the form of cash at the moment. I can probably find other stuff around here I'd be more willing to part with if I ever get up the nerve to try selling anything.

terrie
02-15-2005, 12:33 PM
>>franca: Don't think I've seen any of the original horse mugs yet.

There was one in that link you sent me...the "Persian" horses one about 1/2 way down the listing...the mugs are black...I also have the original boxes as they were almost as cool as the mugs...

I've never bought her earrings because I don't wear dangly ones...

>>I can probably find other stuff around here I'd be more willing to part with if I ever get up the nerve to try selling anything.

You've never sold anything on ebay? It's been a long time since I have but it's great fun...

Terrie

Franca
02-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Oh, I thought the Persian horses were newer.

There are LB earrings that aren't dangly. I just got a few pairs of cool post earrings, one of which has horses on them. <BG> I've also seen some for non-pierced ears, but not very many.

No, I've never sold on eBay. So I don't have a seller rating, but I figure a 100% positive buyer rating is something.... I should look around for something cool that I don't care about and do a test auction. In my spare time....

annc
02-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Oh, I thought the Persian horses were newer.

There are LB earrings that aren't dangly. I just got a few pairs of cool post earrings, one of which has horses on them. <BG> I've also seen some for non-pierced ears, but not very many.

No, I've never sold on eBay. So I don't have a seller rating, but I figure a 100% positive buyer rating is something.... I should look around for something cool that I don't care about and do a test auction. In my spare time....I didn't find any resistance when I started selling, but then I was selling into the same categories where I'd bought, so my face was known.

Franca
02-15-2005, 12:50 PM
I didn't find any resistance when I started selling, but then I was selling into the same categories where I'd bought, so my face was known.So ... any tips?

terrie
02-15-2005, 01:08 PM
>>franca: Oh, I thought the Persian horses were newer.

Not that one in the auction...unless she did another set more recently...

>>I've also seen some for non-pierced ears, but not very many.

My ears are pierced...I could see buying them just because of the design...

>>No, I've never sold on eBay. So I don't have a seller rating, but I figure a 100% positive buyer rating is something....

That's ok...I had always recommended that people get buyer ratings before trying to sell something...shows you've been around for a bit...

>>I should look around for something cool that I don't care about and do a test auction. In my spare time....

Sounds like a good idea...fun too...

Terrie

annc
02-15-2005, 01:08 PM
So ... any tips?It depends where you're selling, I think. Meaning categories, not geographical location.

In the area where I sell, which is Australian coins, the buyers know the value of things. They also tend to know the sellers. So you'll see descriptions with about three words in them getting the same prices as, or better prices than, those with purple prose. I tend to stick to my standard layouts to differentiate myself from the others, and describe the coins as accurately as possible. And then try to get good scans/photos. A few months ago I sold an old proof set with some damage to the surface of the coins (it was before the days of sealed plastic cases), and made sure I mentioned every single fault. it got a decent price, and the buyer sent me a really nice e-mail afterwards, telling me how happy he was with the set.

So just be yourself, IOW. Use what flair you have, but be clear and honest. It's a lot of fun, as Terrie says.