PDA

View Full Version : Font name cross references

Norbert
12-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Hope you won’t be a stranger.

I promise not to be any stranger than I usually am. ;)

p.s. > came across this page Bitstream Type analog (http://www.fontinfo.net/Font_Analog.html) recently though it appears to be old. Not sure if you've seen it, but it's interesting as a reference for look-alike and alternate named typefaces.

ktinkel
12-14-2005, 10:44 AM
came across this page Bitstream Type analog (http://www.fontinfo.net/Font_Analog.html) recently …Thank you! That was originally a Macintosh (pre-OS X) desk accessory, and I had it on my computer for years. But DAs no longer work (outside of Classic, which is a PITA) and I haven’t seen it lately. Nice to have a web link. (Found some other cross-ref sources in links at the bottom of the screen there.)

Someone at Bitstream, way back when, gave me another useful document, this one a set of annotations on typefaces (not just Bitstream’s) as of about 1988 or so, organized by their type classification scheme. The succinct but often enlightening comments are from Matthew Carter and Mike Parker (and perhaps others at Bitstream).

An example, taken at random:“Plantin: Based on over inked proofs taken from worn types of one of Granjon’s late romans surviving at the Plantin Museum, as interpreted seventy years ago by Pierpont and the Monotype Corporation drawing office. The lowercase a is from the wrong font, copied from an eighteenth century replacement.”
I promise not to be any stranger than I usually am. ;)Oh, good. That’s probably almost strange enough for the likes of us! :)

Michael Rowley
12-14-2005, 12:48 PM
KT:

I wonder how reliable that is. I notice that the list had 'Fraktur' as a familiar name, and gave 'German Gothic' as its equivalent; but Fraktur is the popular German name for all German black-letter typefaces, although it is one of four or five kinds of black-letter, and 'German gothic' is only an English translation. I think only the Bitstream names are 100% reliable, for Bitware must know where it acquired the original typeface.

ktinkel
12-14-2005, 01:25 PM
I wonder how reliable that is. Not very. It is old, and incomplete. But it was a useful tool when it was created some 15 years ago.

I notice that the list had 'Fraktur' as a familiar name, and gave 'German Gothic' as its equivalent; but Fraktur is the popular German name for all German black-letter typefaces, although it is one of four or five kinds of black-letter, and 'German gothic' is only an English translation.I think it is helpful sometimes, but no, it may not be perfect, especially for someone who has expert knowledge.

Norbert
12-14-2005, 06:16 PM
KT:

... 'Fraktur' as a familiar name, and gave 'German Gothic' as its equivalent; but Fraktur is the popular German name for all German black-letter typefaces...

Unfortunately, many historic script (meaning hand penned) classifications such as Fraktur, Carolingian, Cancelleresca (Chanceleresca), Uncial, Batarda, Rustic(a), etc. were used to name a specific typeface. And as usual, mistakes often become "fact."

Michael Rowley
12-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Norbert:

Unfortunately, many historic script (meaning hand penned) classifications such as Fraktur, Carolingian, Cancelleresca (Chanceleresca), Uncial, Batarda, Rustic(a), etc. were used to name a specific typeface

I have found out that 'Fraktur' is the name of a Bitstream font. It is usual to name fraktur fonts after the designer, so that you have, for instance Weiss-Fraktur, which was a very popular font at one time. The Bitstream font is apparently genuine Fraktur, but the company's name for it is either bloody-minded arrogance or ignorance.