PDA

View Full Version : Moving the XP Toolbar

Susie
12-09-2005, 07:01 PM
This has now happened to me twice, once at work, and once here at home. Somehow, and I'm not the least bit sure how, I clicked on the toolbar (Windows XP Pro) and it ended up to the side. I cannot get it back down to the bottom where I want it. On the Microsoft site, it says I can just drag it there, but that does not work. Does anyone here know how I can put it back in its place?

Kelvyn
12-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Dragging should work, but it may be locked in position. Right mouse click on an empty part of the toolbar and make sure that "Lock the toolbar" is not selected.

Susie
12-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Dragging should work, but it may be locked in position. Right mouse click on an empty part of the toolbar and make sure that "Lock the toolbar" is not selected.

Locking is not selected, but it won't drag at all. I can't figure it out, you've confirmed dragging should work and so does the info on MS, but it doesn't. It's driving me crazy having it stuck on the side there, I want it where it plays very nicely at the bottom and doesn't get in my way.

Steve Rindsberg
12-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Assuming the START button landed at the top when the taskbar docked to the side of the screen, click just below the start button and drag downwards and a bit to the right.

The "live" area for this trick seems to be just "inside" the start button (ie, between it and whatever's next to it). Other unoccupied parts of the task bar may work as well.

And yes. Bill deserves a good hard smack in the head for this one.

Susie
12-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Assuming the START button landed at the top when the taskbar docked to the side of the screen, click just below the start button and drag downwards and a bit to the right.

The "live" area for this trick seems to be just "inside" the start button (ie, between it and whatever's next to it). Other unoccupied parts of the task bar may work as well.

And yes. Bill deserves a good hard smack in the head for this one.

It worked! Thanks, Steve. And I'll be happy to help you smack Bill!

My co-worker is not real happy with me since I docked the tool bar on the right side. I've locked mine at the bottom now, so hopefully it won't happen again.

Thanks, again. You have saved my sanity :)

iamback
12-11-2005, 01:07 PM
And I'll be happy to help you smack Bill! Err, don't? Not for that, at least!

My co-worker is not real happy with me since I docked the tool bar on the right side. I've locked mine at the bottom now, so hopefully it won't happen again.
I always have mine on the left (not even locked) and on auto-hide; by having it on the side I have far more space for buttons and they stay the same size, too so I can set the width of the task bar so that a reasonable amount of text stays visible at all times making the buttons visible.

Give it a chance and try it for a few days - unless you always have only a very few programs/windows open you may find it's actually more ergonomic than having it at the bottom (which I always found real stupid: the task bar is a menu - of open programs - so why put it at the bottom when all other menus are along the top? Before putting it on the left I always had my taskbar along the top...).

Whatever Bill has done wrong (a lot) he deserves praise for giving us this flexibility. ;)

Steve Rindsberg
12-11-2005, 01:44 PM
>>Whatever Bill has done wrong (a lot) he deserves praise for giving us this flexibility

Well, at least a little.

But he deserves to be smacked for implementing it SO badly. NOTHING should be so easy to do inadvertently and SO difficult to undo ... er .... advertently. ;-)

Susie
12-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Err, don't? Not for that, at least!

Give it a chance and try it for a few days - unless you always have only a very few programs/windows open you may find it's actually more ergonomic than having it at the bottom (which I always found real stupid: the task bar is a menu - of open programs - so why put it at the bottom when all other menus are along the top? Before putting it on the left I always had my taskbar along the top...).

I did give it a chance. I find/found it so very distracting I couldn't keep up with my work. Perhaps it just means I'm set in my ways, by I'll take bottom of the screen any day!