PDA

View Full Version : Snow, snow, snow!

ktinkel
12-09-2005, 08:03 AM
It is one thing for Vermonters and Toontowners and Alaskans, but quite another for residents of southern Connecticut to have two enduring snowfalls before Christmas! Not to mention temps that rarely get above freezing, day or night. I have no hope at all for an easy winter.

Still waiting for our first cold-weather gas bill; should be a doozie, with estimates of 130% of ast year’s rates (and what looks to be about the same increase in usage because of the cold).

Keep warm everyone.

ElyseC
12-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Ditto here, but it's been more snowfalls than just two, and the highs have averaged in the upper single digits to lower teens for a couple of weeks at least. Lows have gone below zero several times and certainly below zero with windchill factors, even during the day! Brrrrrrrrr!!

We've been fighting the natural gas bills with our wood-burning stove and a couple of pick-up loads of scrap lumber from our friend's sawmill a couple of miles away. Beyond that we're on the "budget billing" thing with both the electric and gas utilities. I'll be curious to see how our next gas bill is, given that we've been doing our level best, using the wood stove, to keep the furnace from turning on. With luck, our usage will be below the 'budget billing' amount and stay that way all through winter.

ktinkel
12-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Ditto here, but it's been more snowfalls than just two, and the highs have averaged in the upper single digits to lower teens for a couple of weeks at least. Lows have gone below zero several times and certainly below zero with windchill factors, even during the day! Brrrrrrrrr!!Yeah, but you moved to Iowa with malice aforethought!

We have had winters in Connecticut with no snow, or none that lasted any length of time, with days often in the 40s (even 50s). This is too shocking, especially after a very warm autumn. (We scarcely had a week between shutting off the airconditioning and starting up the heat!)

Or maybe I am just getting too old to enjoy this.

annc
12-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Please send some of that cool air down here. We've been up around 34ºC with 90% humidity for a week or more, with only a minimal drop to 32ºC predicted in the next few days.

And I was without a car for much of that time, with middle of the day appointments around town. On Thursday I had a mild case of heat stroke, I think. Now I have a hire car for a couple of weeks, so at least I should be able to avoid that happening again.

ktinkel
12-09-2005, 12:54 PM
On Thursday I had a mild case of heat stroke, I think. O no! That is dangerous. Good thing you have a car to use now.

annc
12-09-2005, 01:28 PM
O no! That is dangerous. Good thing you have a car to use now.Well, it was very mild, and I recognised the symptoms and did something about it as soon as I could. People die here every summer from it.

jgr
12-10-2005, 08:56 AM
It is one thing for Vermonters and Toontowners and Alaskans, but quite another for residents of southern Connecticut to have two enduring snowfalls before Christmas!Two? We've already had THREE. I'm tired of this winter already... and it ain't even officially winter yet!

ktinkel
12-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Two? We've already had THREE. I'm tired of this winter already... and it ain't even officially winter yet!Did I miss one? Well, they have been kind of blurring together.

And now they promise more for Monday. Yuck. I’m usually content to have a bit of snow, but this is too much too early, and I do not like the way the trend is looking.

terrie
12-10-2005, 02:56 PM
kt: It is one thing for Vermonters and Toontowners and Alaskans, but quite another for residents of southern Connecticut to have two enduring snowfalls before Christmas!Ok...I admit it...it's my fault...'-}}

I have a new farrier for Zo and I completely forgot about getting her anti-snowballing pads put on...this of course is like carrying an umbrella to make sure that it doesn't rain...'-}}

The pads will be put on at the end of the month so perhaps they will make the rest of the winter snow go away...

Terrie

ktinkel
12-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Ok...I admit it...it's my fault...'-}}Hey — fix it, willya! This is getting old!

Franca
12-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Or maybe I am just getting too old to enjoy this.Nah. I gave it a decent try - 9 years - but I never enjoyed it! I knew from my very first northeastern winter that I'd be back in California eventually. ;) A proper winter for me would consist of one lovely "first snowfall". Enough to fill the air with snowflakes and outline every twig and branch of every tree with white. Enough to walk through without hitting dirt underneath and to make a few snowballs .... It could hang around for a few crisp days and then it would have to thaw rapidly without making mud and not come back till next year. :D

ktinkel
12-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Nah. I gave it a decent try - 9 years - but I never enjoyed it! I knew from my very first northeastern winter that I'd be back in California …I grew up in Anchorage, which is very snowy (not spectacularly cold, however). But I have been having mobility problems, and that makes snow a lot less fun. And when it interrupts a nice New England fall, well, that is just outrageous!

Otherwise, philosophically, I would usually vote for four real seasons.

Franca
12-10-2005, 09:28 PM
It was unseemly of it to snow so early, wasn't it? Fall in New England is special and should not be cut short!

Plantwise, we have four seasons here. Bulbs do come up in the spring. The various deciduous trees do turn colors and drop leaves, just not as spectacularly as in New England. We get frost, but along the coast, no snow. I can visit snow in about four hours if I really want to, but so far I haven't missed it that much. Now that I have a horse I'm especially thankful not to live where it snows, but it's pretty in pictures!

Believe it or not, we had one "white" Christmas here ... three years ago I think. It looked like a real snowfall, tons of flakes. I took some photos but our camera wasn't quite up to the task. After the first snowflakes to hit the ground melted on impact we actually had a teensy bit of accumulation but it was all gone within a couple of hours. Still, it was fun while it lasted! Other parts of the county had some drifts that lasted a couple of days, and the Santa Cruz mountains had snow caps visible from downtown. A bit of snow up there isn't quite as unusual as down here near sea level but it still doesn't usually accumulate much or last very long.

Mike
12-11-2005, 12:03 AM
And now they promise more for Monday. Yuck. I’m usually content to have a bit of snow, but this is too much too early, and I do not like the way the trend is looking.

A few weeks ago we were being told that it was going to be a really hard winter and there would be fuel shortages and other dreadful things in store. Sure enough it did get jolly cold and it snowed.

Now that's all gone and it's reasonably mild for the time of year and the pundits have disappeared back into their holes.

iamback
12-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Please send some of that cool air down here. We've been up around 34ºC with 90% humidity for a week or more, with only a minimal drop to 32ºC predicted in the next few days.
Aaahh, could you just send some of that nice comfy warmth over here then? Just my kind of temperatures (I was born in the wrong climate!)

annc
12-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Aaahh, could you just send some of that nice comfy warmth over here then? Just my kind of temperatures (I was born in the wrong climate!)Huffing and puffing right now. It should reach you in time for summer. http://desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/images/smilies/wink.gif

iamback
12-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Huffing and puffing right now. It should reach you in time for summer. <whine>But it's cold now - summer is bearable here...
</whine>

annc
12-12-2005, 04:38 AM
<whine>But it's cold now - summer is bearable here...
</whine>But I don't have that much puff... http://desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/images/smilies/wink.gif

You could always hop on a plane.

iamback
12-12-2005, 06:44 AM
But I don't have that much puff... http://desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/images/smilies/wink.gif

You could always hop on a plane. Now don't tempt me... Still half off my mind is in Asia and I already have the travel itch again.

annc
12-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Now don't tempt me... Still half off my mind is in Asia and I already have the travel itch again.In that case, I won't mention the lush green grass everywhere, the deafening sound of the cicadas at dusk (which lasts about 10 minutes. Full sun to full dark is about 30 minutes), the heat and humidity building up during the day, and the sudden thunderstorms that come billowing up out of the southwest in the afternoon, or the smell when the first huge drops of rain hit the ground. Or the quality of the light when the storm's passed.

Today's forecast for here – 34ªC, late shower or thunderstorm – says it all.

terrie
12-12-2005, 12:13 PM
kt: Hey — fix it, willya! This is getting old!LOL!!! Have to wait until 12/31 when the farrier comes next....

Terrie

jgr
12-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Did I miss one? Well, they have been kind of blurring together. I don't think you missed one; I think one missed you! (We got it here, but you didn't there.)

And now they promise more for Monday. Yuck. I’m usually content to have a bit of snow, but this is too much too early, and I do not like the way the trend is looking.Too much indeed. And the Farmer's Almanac predictions are frightening: "Winter-season temperatures will be one degree below normal, on average, with above-normal precipitation in most of the region. Snowfall will be much greater than normal just about everywhere." EEEEEK!!!

iamback
12-12-2005, 11:20 PM
In that case, I won't mention the lush green grass everywhere, the deafening sound of the cicadas at dusk (which lasts about 10 minutes. Full sun to full dark is about 30 minutes), the heat and humidity building up during the day, and the sudden thunderstorms that come billowing up out of the southwest in the afternoon, or the smell when the first huge drops of rain hit the ground. Or the quality of the light when the storm's passed. BUMP!
(that's the sound of Australia moving higher up my list). :D

ktinkel
12-13-2005, 07:46 AM
"Winter-season temperatures will be one degree below normal, on average, with above-normal precipitation in most of the region. Snowfall will be much greater than normal just about everywhere." EEEEEK!!!Indeed. Maybe we should all join Ann in Australia. (You could set up a New Jersey law outpost there!)

annc
12-13-2005, 12:19 PM
BUMP!
(that's the sound of Australia moving higher up my list). :DDo come! We've got lots of hot deserts, too.

Michael Rowley
12-13-2005, 12:49 PM
JGR:

one degree below normal

Where's the 'region'? And degrees Celsius or degrees Celsius? And for that matter, what's 'normal'?

ktinkel
12-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Where's the 'region'? And degrees Celsius or degrees Celsius? And for that matter, what's 'normal'?The Farmers’ Almanac covers north American weather by region. And we mostly speak Fahrenheit hereabouts. Normal is some sort of average taken over many years.

Michael Rowley
12-13-2005, 03:31 PM
KT:

Normal is some sort of average taken over many years

With an area as large of North America (which includes Mexico and Canada) a forecast like that can't be wrong, whatever the weather. And 'average' depends on average what, and which years. I shouldn't worry all that much: Massachusetts might be in for the warmest winter on record.

ktinkel
12-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Normal is some sort of average taken over many years

With an area as large of North America (which includes Mexico and Canada) a forecast like that can't be wrong, whatever the weather. Sorry, Michael: It is calculated by region.

Look at the Farmers Almanac (http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/weather.html) map and you will see what I mean.

jgr
12-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Indeed. Maybe we should all join Ann in Australia. (You could set up a New Jersey law outpost there!)Somehow I suspect there's not all that much call for New Jersey lawyers in Australia... darn it...

jgr
12-13-2005, 07:16 PM
one degree below normal

Where's the 'region'? And degrees Celsius or degrees Celsius? And for that matter, what's 'normal'?I'm in what's called the mid-Atlantic region of the US, and we don't do no Celsius here. We still do Fahrenheit. And "normal" is a setting on a clothes dryer.

annc
12-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Somehow I suspect there's not all that much call for New Jersey lawyers in Australia... darn it...You could tele-commute! Proof via Acrobat files. Meet via Skype...

(I have all but the kitchen, living room and my office shut off, the curtains drawn, two airconditioners going full blast, and the temp in here is still 28ºC (83ºF))

iamback
12-13-2005, 10:43 PM
(I have all but the kitchen, living room and my office shut off, the curtains drawn, two airconditioners going full blast, and the temp in here is still 28ºC (83ºF)) Do you sleep in the kitchen or in your office? <duck/>

dthomsen8
12-14-2005, 05:54 AM
Oh, 34C is hot, but Americans think in Fahrenheit.

Right now in Philadelphia, under 0C, not quite what you want. Snow on the ground, but not much, it sticks better for KT in CT.

David :)

And I was without a car for much of that time, with middle of the day appointments around town. On Thursday I had a mild case of heat stroke, I think. Now I have a hire car for a couple of weeks, so at least I should be able to avoid that happening again.

dthomsen8
12-14-2005, 05:57 AM
I am on a budget oil heating bill, set by the oil delivery company back in August, a fixed amount every month, but a settlement in the late spring.

A good system, but already higher payments, and maybe I will owe them sometime next year. Perhaps they buy heating oil futures to moderate the cost to their customers, though.

David

jgr
12-14-2005, 07:12 AM
You could tele-commute! Proof via Acrobat files. Meet via Skype...I would love to telecommute, but I work for a control freak who absolutely has to have everybody under his thumb, darn it all!

(I have all but the kitchen, living room and my office shut off, the curtains drawn, two airconditioners going full blast, and the temp in here is still 28ºC (83ºF))Sigh... it's about 10F here right now...

jgr
12-14-2005, 07:13 AM
I am on a budget oil heating bill, set by the oil delivery company back in August, a fixed amount every month, but a settlement in the late spring. A good system, but already higher payments, and maybe I will owe them sometime next year. Perhaps they buy heating oil futures to moderate the cost to their customers, though.I'm on an annual budget for natural gas, but will be watching the bills VERY carefully and adding a little here and there as need be. But I'm also doing things like sleeping under an electric blanket and turning the nighttime temps down to 60 to try to keep the bills under control.

Cristen Gillespie
12-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Sorry, Michael: It is calculated by region.

Look at the Farmers Almanac (http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/weather.html) map and you will see what I mean.

Well, I looked, and I don't think the Farmer's Almanac can say much about the Southwest. We've got the coast, the inland deserts, the Sierras, the Rockies, high and low deserts, the hottest and coldest and one of the wettest places in the USA are in CA alone. Telling me the Southwest would be dry (I know, I know--I'm itching horribly from the dry<sigh>), then have some storms, some snow, some more dry, when they're covering CA to Colorado just doesn't tell me what MY winter is going to be<G> (One long-term forecast says dry this winter)

ktinkel
12-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Sigh... it's about 10F here right now...I sleep next to the windows overlooking our deck and a big thermometer on a tree. The moon was full last night, and every time I woke up I saw that temperature and started to shiver (even under the blankets).

It was a toasty 17F this morning when I got up and is actually 19 now, supposedly on the way to a high of 22. I hear we are to hit 35 on Friday. Yippee!

Michael Rowley
12-14-2005, 08:06 AM
KT:

I misunderstood your 'The Farmers’ Almanac covers north American weather by region'. Yes, the regions look more reasonable from the map, but still cover areas that would, for example, cover the whole of the British Isles several times.

The meteorolgists are in fact predicting that it might be an exceptionally cold winter in western Europe, I believe on the ground that a periodic fluctuation of the Gulf Stream is due about now (but it might be next year instead). I don't know at all what influences the weather on the northeast coast of the USA, but I bet there are explanations for any variation in temperature that will inevitably occur.

gary
12-14-2005, 08:28 AM
I hear we are to hit 35 on Friday. Yippee!
Must be the "heat" wave that we had yesterday -- followed by 6-8 inches (and still coming).

ktinkel
12-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Must be the "heat" wave that we had yesterday -- followed by 6-8 inches (and still coming).Well, we are supposed to get that Minnesota weather, but it better not deliver snow with it!

Right now they are predicting “ice particles,” which is bad enough. (I have to be north of New Haven (some 30 miles) by 9 a.m. Friday. Rush hour traffic is enough to contend with (I am out of practice), but snow with it would be too much to bear!

So if you don’t mind, keep your snow up there where it belongs! <g>

iamback
12-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Oh, 34C is hot, (...) Nah, that's nice and warm. Comfy. "Hot" starts at 40C, though maybe a little lower (38C) when the humidity is high (like 98%). :D

annc
12-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Nah, that's nice and warm. Comfy. "Hot" starts at 40C, though maybe a little lower (38C) when the humidity is high (like 98%). :DDepends on what you're doing. Out in the sun here yesterday it was well over 38ºC and the humidity was high. Just walking to the gate to pick up the mail brought me out in a sweat. Today is expected to be cooler, so my lawn will finally get mown this evening. The storms are expected back by Friday.

annc
12-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Do you sleep in the kitchen or in your office? <duck/>I don't sleep during the day. ;) (My message was timed at 2.34 p.m. local time.)

annc
12-14-2005, 11:41 AM
I would love to telecommute, but I work for a control freak who absolutely has to have everybody under his thumb, darn it all!Damn! Can't you drag him into the 21st century?

Sigh... it's about 10F here right now...You can keep that, thanks. We don't even get frosts in the middle of winter here. I love our winter (mild and sunny), but would like more daylight.

ElyseC
12-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Yeah, but you moved to Iowa with malice aforethought!Yes, but all reports were that winters here had become quite a bit milder than when I was a kid. Everyone here's saying now, "well, I guess we've been due for a bad one for a while, so this is it."

JVegVT
12-15-2005, 06:48 PM
We were below zero F. the past two nights--usually don't see that until January. The summer was very hot and these things tend to balance out over time, so a cold winter is a strong possibility.

A few inches of snow on the ground, of course, with several expected tomorrow.
--Judy M.

ktinkel
12-16-2005, 07:05 AM
We were below zero F. the past two nights …And we, poised all week for another Friday morning snowstorm, had temps above freezing with rain all night and a torrent earlier this morning. But it is clearing now and in the 40s.

I am happy to have this respite.

ElyseC
12-18-2005, 02:05 PM
And we, poised all week for another Friday morning snowstorm, had temps above freezing with rain all night and a torrent earlier this morning. But it is clearing now and in the 40s.I'm green with envy! As I type this, weather.com reports that it's 9F with a "feels like" wind-chill temp of -2F.