PDA

View Full Version : Firefox tip

LoisWakeman
12-06-2005, 08:38 AM
From the webreference.com weekly newsletter: most of you may already know, but here it is anyway (slightly edited by me):

"While this is not specifically a Web developer tip, it can help you to
maneuver to your favorite sites much quicker. Firefox has a "keyword"
field in the properties section of each bookmark. You can use that
keyword to open a Web site, just like on AOL. [gee - some recommendation!]

Let's say you have bookmarked the DTP forum site. Go to the bookmark for that link and right-click on it. On the popup menu click on the link for
"Properties" (it should be at or near the bottom of the menu). In the
bookmark's properties, go down to "Keyword" and type in a keyword
to help you remember that Web site, e.g., "dt" (without the quotes).
Then click "OK." Now, when you want to visit the
site, you can just type "dt" (without the quotes) in the address box
and press "Enter." It will then take you to this site. "

ktinkel
12-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Firefox has a "keyword" field in the properties section of each bookmark. Very clever — thanks.

Steve Rindsberg
12-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Very cool. I don't use FireFox but that reminded me that Opera lets you add "Nicknames" to bookmarks and your tip prompted a looksee.

Darned if they don't work the same way.

Now if they just had a way of letting you enter a keyword like AOL and have it take you anywhere BUT ...

Ian Petersen
12-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Opera has had this feature for years. If I'm not mistaken, so did Netscape 4 and earlier.

iamback
12-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Let's say you have bookmarked the DTP forum site. Go to the bookmark for that link and right-click on it. On the popup menu click on the link for "Properties" (it should be at or near the bottom of the menu). In the
bookmark's properties, go down to "Keyword" and type in a keyword
to help you remember that Web site (...)Works with Mozilla (1.7+) as well; start with Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks... (or Ctrl+B).

(I never use keywords though; I organize my Moz bookmarks hierarchically. But I keep my collection in Moz small: I still maintain my huge hierarchy of "Favorites" and various other collections of shortcuts as well; and I dump in regular files with them, too - something you cannot do with Mozilla-style bookmarks. It's just an organized collection of "resources" most of which happen to be shortcuts.)

Kelvyn
12-06-2005, 11:10 AM
I already use "de" for this forum! It does save a lot of time.

iamback
12-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I already use "de" for this forum! It does save a lot of time. Sure - eight more keystrokes take a lot of time! </duck>

dtpfor.com is only 10 characters...

ktinkel
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
I never use keywords though …Until this thread I had never even thought of it. For places I visit often, I have a bookmark in the menu bar. For others, I just start typing the name or use a regular bookmark.

But I don’t around all that much!

Kelvyn
12-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Sure - eight more keystrokes take a lot of time!

It does with my typos.....:D

Steve Rindsberg
12-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Sure - eight more keystrokes take a lot of time! </duck>

dtpfor.com is only 10 characters...
It depends on your notion of "here" ;-)

To me, "here" is

http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/

dtp is so much simpler. ;-)