PDA

View Full Version : Is Photoshop the new WordPerfect?

Paul
11-30-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm reading applications for an office job where the posting states clearly that it requires proficiency with MS Word and Excel.

Fully half the people applying claim to be expert users of Photoshop. Is there anyone left who doesn't use Photoshop? Is Photoshop now considered the ideal application for every purpose?

FWIW, most of the rest have degrees in Administration of Justice, or are working toward such a degree. It's possible that they also use Photoshop and just forgot to mention it.

Neither Photoshop nor a degree in Administration of Justice is needed for the job, nor is either particularly helpful.

PeterArnel
11-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Paul FWIW
I think people only use software because they need to achieve something else - at the moment everyone seems to be using Photoshop to touch up digital pictures. They also in the UK seem to be have degrees in sending text messages or using outlook. Perhaps there is little demand for proper writing (and lots would disagree that Word is proper writing) and sums (Excel ).
Peter
WE seem to have gone through the "Power Point " phase

Steve Rindsberg
11-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Perhaps you've proven that Photoshop users can't read (and that Administration of Justice degree holders don't).

Or the opposite.

Mike
12-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Is Photoshop now considered the ideal application for every purpose?

Why not? It handles text and pictures well. It might be a bit weak on arithmetic but they can always use their desktop calculator for that sort of stuff.

I used to work in a place where the secretarial staff mostly used Excel for word processing. That was before I started dealing with authors who prepared all their book artwork in Powerpoint. Seems to me that Photoshop is a great leap forward in allowing people to waste their time prettifying their efforts. Let's face it, Word's drop shadows ain't a patch on Photoshop's.

All it needs is a decent spellchecker -- but then, on second thoughts, hardly anyone uses those anyway.

Andrew B.
12-01-2005, 01:09 PM
It might be a bit weak on arithmetic but they can always use their desktop calculator for that sort of stuff.Not of you add the arithmetic plugin from Calcugraphics. <wink>