PDA

View Full Version : Font Suggestions for "IT"

Gerry Kowarsky
02-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Because of a department name change, I need to put the letters "IT" on an existing web page logo. The current letters are bold and slanted, and I'd like to keep that look. Anyone suggestions on an oblique font with a distinctive capital "I" and "T"? Right now, I am using Imago Extra Bold Italic. I plan to look through all my fonts, but there are so many I would welcome suggestions.

ElyseC
02-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Because of a department name change, I need to put the letters "IT" on an existing web page logo. The current letters are bold and slanted, and I'd like to keep that look. Anyone suggestions on an oblique font with a distinctive capital "I" and "T"? Right now, I am using Imago Extra Bold Italic. I plan to look through all my fonts, but there are so many I would welcome suggestions.
For whatever reason, the first font that popped to mind was a face I used to use way way back when in transfer type, Stop. You can definitely say it's I and T are distinctive:

http://www.myfonts.com/search?search%5Btext%5D=stop

ktinkel
02-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Because of a department name change, I need to put the letters "IT" on an existing web page logo. The current letters are bold and slanted, and I'd like to keep that look. Anyone suggestions on an oblique font with a distinctive capital "I" and "T"? Right now, I am using Imago Extra Bold Italic. I plan to look through all my fonts, but there are so many I would welcome suggestions.Can you attach a scan of the existing logo here? Or give us a URL to look at it?

Hard to think in a visual vacuum.

Michael Rowley
02-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Gerry:

'I am using Imago Extra Bold Italic'

That is, I should have thought, very suitable, or as suitable as 'IT' can be in a sans serif font. I bought it (on someone here's recommendation) for use in headings with Ultima for the text—it has a nice stubby appearance.

Gerry Kowarsky
02-10-2005, 01:12 PM
I've attached what I have so far, minus an identifying logo at the left and the company name in the box at the lower right.

Gerry Kowarsky
02-10-2005, 01:31 PM
I might have been the person who recommended Imago, and I do like it for IT (I uploaded what I have so far in another message). I just thought I would see if anyone had any other ideas. I'm up the the Is in my font collection in Font Navigator, and I haven't found anything I like better. Others I've liked are Eurostyle Std Bold, Helvetica Rounded Std Black Italic, HelveticaNeueStd Black, and HelveticaNeueStd ExtBlack Cn. So far, the only serif that has appealed to me is Italia Bold Std, though I really want an italic.

Gerry Kowarsky
02-10-2005, 01:32 PM
IT certainly is distinctive. Probably too much so for an Information Technology department, but thanks!

ElyseC
02-10-2005, 01:54 PM
IT certainly is distinctive. Probably too much so for an Information Technology department, but thanks!
And very 70s-80s. <g>

I see in another reply you considered Italia. That popped to mind, too, FWIW.

ElyseC
02-10-2005, 01:59 PM
I've attached what I have so far, minus an identifying logo at the left and the company name in the box at the lower right.
A humanist sans serif might also be worth a look. Ocean Sans family has a nice one here: http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.asp?pid=205800

ktinkel
02-10-2005, 02:20 PM
I've attached what I have so far, minus an identifying logo at the left and the company name in the box at the lower right.I think that finding something to mix with the Imago, other than a heavier or huge and lighter style from the same family, will be very difficult.

Using something distinctive for the IT is tempting — you might want to rummage in the Letraset library. ITC Machine could work, but it is pretty old now. You might take a look at Font Bureau’s Armada Black. Odd, but massive, and it could be ghosted out, sort of behind the words, or otherwise tamed slightly.

If you were thinking of replacing all the type, then you might want to look at Barmeno.

Or if you want to look no-nonsense and authoritative, use Helvetica Inserat for the IT and some other style of Helvetica for the text.

Ah, I’m just babbling here. Gotta go fix dinner. I have some of these faces, so if you want me to set some ITs for you later, I can.

Gerry Kowarsky
02-10-2005, 02:23 PM
IT is certainly distinctive in Stop, it might be a show stopper in an information technology department. But I'll give it a hard look. Thanks

Gerry Kowarsky
02-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Wow. I have Ocean, and it caught my eye, too, when I was scanning my collection.

Michael Rowley
02-10-2005, 02:44 PM
'with Ultima for the text'

I meant to write 'Utopia'.

Gerry Kowarsky
02-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Let me tell you about another contraint. The logo will be distributed as a Photoshop file to every subgroup in IT that has a web site. The file will have one graphic layer and one text layer. "IT" will be in the graphic layer and will appear on all the logos. "Information Technology" will be in the text layer. Each subgroup in the IT department will replace the text with its own name. The size of the font can be change, but not the font itself. So "Information Technology" will have to be in a font that everyone has (i.e., bundled with Windows or Office XP--right now, it's just Arial Bold Italic). IT, on the other hand, can be in any font I have (a much larger number!).

Gerry Kowarsky
02-10-2005, 03:07 PM
The Utopia-Imago combination is one of my favorites!

Michael Rowley
02-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Gerry:

'The Utopia-Imago combination is one of my favorites'

Then you probably were the one that suggested it when I asked the forum's advice about what to use with Utopia. I have used the two (successfully—in my opinion), but since then I've rather favoured Minion, which is in a set of OT fonts in the four 'optical' sizes provided by Adobe. I use it with Myriad if necessary, but rather favour using the two sizes of Minion intended for sub-heading and display; unfortunately, Utopia (also OT) was a special offer by Adobe before it brought out the opticals set (I should have known!).

I saw your proviso that the text (variable to taste) would have to be in a commoner face than Imago, but 'IT' with the English text in Imago Medium (roman) and without initial capitals looks well: why use initial capitals when you've already put 'IT' beside the text; use initial capitals only where necessary, e.g. for German nouns.

Gerry Kowarsky
02-11-2005, 03:02 PM
I see you point about the capitals, but I don't think the powers that be would go for it.

I'm a big fan of Minion, too. I like most everything by Rob Slimbach.