PDA

View Full Version : The United Nations in Control

George
11-10-2005, 03:51 AM
The United Nations wants to take control of the internet.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175096,00.html

How reassuring for freedom of speech!!! Here's what Annan had to say about it. "One mistaken notion is that the United Nations wants to 'take over,' police or otherwise control the Internet," Annan wrote in an editorial in The Washington Post this week. "Nothing could be farther from the truth. The United Nations wants only to ensure the Internet's global reach, and that effort is at the heart of this summit."

Gee, is that like Annan saying, "No, I nor anyone associated with the United Nations did not personally profit from the way the Oil for Food program was run in Iraq."

If people don't want the United States to have control of how the internet is run --that is one thing, but if they can't find an honest organization that will run it with objectivity and integrity, then they should forget about having it without dissension or an outright fight.

Regards,

George

Bo Aakerstrom
11-10-2005, 06:42 AM
United Nations in control of anything!

Intresting thought process...

dthomsen8
12-09-2005, 04:44 AM
I heard on the radio some weeks ago that the US Department of Commerce remains in control of the Internet. ICANN does the actual job, though.

No, I would not trust the UN with control of the Internet.

The United Nations wants to take control of the internet.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175096,00.html

How reassuring for freedom of speech!!! Here's what Annan had to say about it. "One mistaken notion is that the United Nations wants to 'take over,' police or otherwise control the Internet," Annan wrote in an editorial in The Washington Post this week. "Nothing could be farther from the truth. The United Nations wants only to ensure the Internet's global reach, and that effort is at the heart of this summit."

Gee, is that like Annan saying, "No, I nor anyone associated with the United Nations did not personally profit from the way the Oil for Food program was run in Iraq."

If people don't want the United States to have control of how the internet is run --that is one thing, but if they can't find an honest organization that will run it with objectivity and integrity, then they should forget about having it without dissension or an outright fight.

Regards,

George

George
12-09-2005, 06:14 AM
I heard on the radio some weeks ago that the US Department of Commerce remains in control of the Internet. ICANN does the actual job, though.

No, I would not trust the UN with control of the Internet.

The conference in Tunsia to consider taking control could not agree on anything, but still, some people are thinking about it. However, I understand what really matters is, who controls the root directoires, which apparently truly is international.

However, why does there have to be one World Wide Web?? If the UN took control, why couldn't the US merely start its own internet at that point, entirely independent of what the UN or anyone else in the world was doing?? I can't see the US government sitting by idle, while an organization like the UN tried to make this type of power grab.

Regards,

George