PDA

View Full Version : Happy b’day Stephen Owades!

ktinkel
11-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Happy birthday! May you have a wonderful day!

Yeah, I know I am a bit early, but I do not rise early and didn’t want to be \ late in wishing you felicitations. :)

Stephen Owades
11-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Thank you for your wishes. I spent last night and today running the election count here in Cambridge, where we use Proportional Representation to elect our City Council and School Committee--unique in the United States but used (in similar but not identical forms) in Ireland and Australia. Something usually happens to make it an entertaining process: four years ago it was a very close election that required a two-week-long manual recount; and two years ago it was an overflow and corruption of the scanner memory cards in two busy precincts, requiring re-scanning of their ballots after the polls closed. This year it was a failing floppy disk drive that kept us from transferring the data from the tabulating computer (a UNIX box with no other available means of exporting files) to my computer. So we had a long night, and a reasonably long day today.

ktinkel
11-10-2005, 06:15 AM
This year it was a failing floppy disk drive that kept us from transferring the data from the tabulating computer (a UNIX box with no other available means of exporting files) to my computer. So we had a long night, and a reasonably long day today.You do know how to celebrate! :)