PDA

View Full Version : Letterpress equipment, free!

ktinkel
11-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Gene Gable — former publisher of Publish among other editorial/publishing jobs; one-time boss of Seybold Seminars; and now a columnist on Creative Pro (and always a nice guy) — is giving away his letterpress press, type caster, type, and assorted paraphernalia.

If you are having fantasies of a letterpress life, this is a great deal. All you have to do is be the first to agree to (a) take all of it; and (b) go pick it up. I believe the stuff is in coastal California, an hour or so north of San Francisco. He says he will help by operating the forklift (required).

Read about this decision and look at snapshots of the equipment in Gene’s Halloween column entitled “Heavy Metal Madness: The Agony of Defeat (http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/23571.html).”

I have also harbored this sort of dream; fortunately, I never acted on it (well, except for my little Kelsey platen press and a few cases of type). I do hope Gene finds a taker.

PeterArnel
11-02-2005, 02:54 PM
WE still use our Hydelberg cylinders for cutting and creasing - 1 have 2 of them 20 x 30" working 24/7 - they still have thier uses

ktinkel
11-02-2005, 05:30 PM
WE still use our Hydelberg cylinders for cutting and creasing - 1 have 2 of them 20 x 30" working 24/7 - they still have thier usesI think that is fairly common. Many printers here use their old letterpresses for those purposes.

One told me recently that he wouldn’t mind setting type again (he had a Ludlow), but the insurance for having his crew work around lead was prohibitive. So he has this wonderful old press around mostly for crimping and other mechanical purposes.

PeterArnel
11-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Crimping?????

ktinkel
11-03-2005, 05:15 AM
Crimping?????That’s what he called it. I thought he meant scoring and perforating, but didn’t ask.

PeterArnel
11-03-2005, 05:55 AM
it must be perforating - crimping is what u do around pastry -I think

donmcc
11-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Scoring works too. You are compressing the card, so crimp might apply.

Don McCahill