PDA

View Full Version : Name this typeface #2!

BinkyM
10-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Folks:

I've got another typeface I need identified. Thing is I believe I even have it *installed*, but my brain's all mushy, so I'm lost. I tried identifont.com, but it's not working well today in Safari; tried with Firefox, and it gave me four faces at the end, none of which is correct.

I hope you can help me out; I'd be grateful!

http://snarkish.com/images/toss-this-out-125-01.gif

ktinkel
10-29-2005, 11:27 AM
I've got another typeface I need identified. Thing is I believe I even have it *installed*, but my brain's all mushy, so I'm lost. I tried identifont.com, but it's not working well today in Safari; tried with Firefox, and it gave me four faces at the end, none of which is correct.

I hope you can help me out; I'd be grateful!Maybe. But can you attach a plain gif, showing the text only? (And delete the blinker?)

Thanks.

annc
10-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Folks:

I hope you can help me out; I'd be grateful!

Um, what text? All I see is a picture of a man with some money or something in his hands.

ElyseC
10-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Um, what text? All I see is a picture of a man with some money or something in his hands.You must have animated things turned off. When I looked at the image it had (I think) two images with sales text (in the typeface to be identified), then a final image which is the one you see.

annc
10-29-2005, 06:32 PM
You must have animated things turned off. When I looked at the image it had (I think) two images with sales text (in the typeface to be identified), then a final image which is the one you see.Oh, yes, I have animated images disabled in Firefox. I can always click on Flash animations if I really want to see them. But sites that have no way around the Flash intros get short shrift with me!

And I don't expect to see animated GIFs in here.

ElyseC
10-30-2005, 02:07 PM
It's interesting that, with animated images disabled, you see only the final frame, while I'd expect it to be the first frame. I wonder if the choice of which frame is displayed can be set by the app that creates the animation or if it's all up to the viewer's browser to choose.

annc
10-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Well, for some reason it's showing me the text now, and although it isn't the right one, I reckon you could get away with Stripwriter Oblique (http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/typotheticals/stripwriter/oblique/). The lower case 't' isn't right, and the upper case 'E' isn't round enough, the upper case 'G' is too symmetrically round, but it's better than anything Identifont threw up.

You'll probably need to track it up as well.

BinkyM
10-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Eeeese:

It's interesting that, with animated images disabled, you see only the final frame, while I'd expect it to be the first frame

No, ma'am; you were looking at the *first* frame. I took it off so you could see the text. Didn't dawn on me that folks wouldn't see the text, else I'd have bothered to remove that frame before I posted it.

Annie:

StripWriter Oblique looks close enough; thanks! Strangely, I seem not to own it. It looks soooo familiar!

Another question for you typeface mavens: when you need a particular typeface but you can't remember its name, what do you do? Frex, I know I own a typeface that looks as if it came out of one of those plastic label guns. (You know what I mean? A plastic strip comes out, you punch a letter into it which makes it embossed, you advance the plastic label, punch another letter, etc). I own more than a thousand typefaces; what's a good way to locate it? It's driving me mad trying to think how to find it.

Thanks for the Stripwriter info! I appreciate it a lot!

don Arnoldy
10-31-2005, 10:34 AM
when you need a particular typeface but you can't remember its name, what do you do?I dunno about other folks, but I have a binder. I print out a sample sheet for evey font and put it in the binder. That way I can thumb through and look for stuff.

--don

BinkyM
10-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Don:

I print out a sample sheet for evey font and put it in the binder. That way I can thumb through and look for stuff.

Eeek! I have more than a thousand typefaces! I'd get old trying to do it that way!

annc
10-31-2005, 11:35 AM
StripWriter Oblique looks close enough; thanks! Strangely, I seem not to own it. It looks soooo familiar!It looks a little like a cross between Tekton, various cartoonist faces and Dom Casual, so maybe that's it. ;)

Frex, I know I own a typeface that looks as if it came out of one of those plastic label guns. (You know what I mean? A plastic strip comes out, you punch a letter into it which makes it embossed, you advance the plastic label, punch another letter, etc).Dymo font (http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=dymo)?

ktinkel
10-31-2005, 12:34 PM
I know I own a typeface that looks as if it came out of one of those plastic label guns. (You know what I mean? A plastic strip comes out, you punch a letter into it which makes it embossed, you advance the plastic label, punch another letter, etc). I own more than a thousand typefaces; what's a good way to locate it? It's driving me mad trying to think how to find it.I always try Googling, for starters. In this case, it sort of worked, as I found a couple:

It might be Punch Label (http://www.lagreca.it/didattica/fonts.htm) (scroll down a bit) — or it might be Carbon14 (http://www.myfonts.com/browse/promotion/1253/) from Coniglio Type. And I semi-remember that FontShop once had such a thing, but do not know the name.

I found these two by Googling on Dymo label font.

Unfortunately, I suspect there are quite a few of these floating around, so it may be hard to find the one you already have.

BinkyM
10-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Annie and KT:

Yuppers; Dymo, Punch Label, and Carbon14 will all do the job ... but I don't own them, dammit! I know I own one or more than look like those; I just wish I knew what the heck they're called! But thanks! If I get stuck, I'll grab one of those.

marlene
11-03-2005, 09:44 PM
One more -- Chromosome from Three Islands Press!

mxh

marlene
11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Another question for you typeface mavens: when you need a particular typeface but you can't remember its name, what do you do?

Happens to me all the time, more and more often as my memory deteriorates. For years I've been meaning to print out sample sheets as Don suggested, but so far I haven't gotten around to it. Every time I have a font crisis I swear I'll print them out, but as soon as the crisis passes, I forget all about it.

My font management software will let me scroll through my list of fonts and display sample text, but even that takes too much time, and font crises always happen when time is in short supply.

mxh

Norman Hathaway
11-04-2005, 04:33 PM
dymeOtype, typo (t-26), ff dynamoe

i've found the folks at fontshop to be extremely helpful.
also the losers here are pretty damn smart as well.

ktinkel
11-04-2005, 04:45 PM
also the losers here are pretty damn smart as well.???

Norman Hathaway
11-04-2005, 08:13 PM
i meant you and me Kathleen

Mike
11-05-2005, 12:30 AM
when you need a particular typeface but you can't remember its name, what do you do?

I use iView Media to catalogue my fonts - just drag a folder of fonts into iView and it produces samples of each that can then be tagged with keywords and so on.

Mike

ktinkel
11-05-2005, 05:31 AM
i meant you and me KathleenOh, us!

On occasion, I suppose.

BinkyM
11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Mike:

I use iView Media to catalogue my fonts

Don't know what that is, but I aim to find out now. Thanks!

BTW, case anyone cares, I found a free version (in my price range!) of a plastic label-type typeface which looks like Dymo; it's called Recycle, and it's quite nice; it even gives off a little shininess.

don Arnoldy
11-06-2005, 08:52 PM
I have more than a thousand typefaces! I'd get old trying to do it that way!Well, I have a few thousand myself (not near as many as KT), and I have gotten old--so you could be on to something.

Actually, If you group them by type, its not that bad. I use the following categories:

Serif - old style, transitional, modern, slab
Sans - grotesque, geometric, humanist
script, display, dingbat

BinkyM
11-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Don:

In fiddling around with my typefaces, I just discovered that I severely underestimated the number: I have 4217. I'll be dead before I categorize them all. (sigh)

I guess it comes from having worked with Adobe on postScript 2.

OTOH, Font Agent shows me the list of faces in WYSIWYG, so I can delete a lot that way.

Norman Hathaway
11-07-2005, 06:24 AM
4200 is too many.
What's your attic look like?