PDA

View Full Version : New Verizon cellphone?

jgr
10-27-2005, 07:14 AM
My two-year contract with Verizon is just about up and I'm entitled to upgrade my cellphone with new equipment. I don't need lots of bells and whistles -- the only features I've used on my current phone are the phone (duh!), alarm and vibrate/silent ringer. I like the LG I've been carrying -- but it EATS batteries.

So... whaddaya recommend?

ElyseC
10-27-2005, 08:21 AM
If you otherwise like your LG, look at their newer models. We're happy with ours that we got a year ago and they don't seem (to us, anyway) to eat batteries. We could've chosen a model with a camera and other fancy features, but we couldn't see that we'd use the extras. Like yours, our needs are pretty basic.

I do wish I could have more ring tones to "sound code" incoming calls by caller, but I'd have to pay for our provider's text messaging and "enhanced" features service just to download a few tones and it's silly to pay that much just to get a few new tones!

jgr
10-27-2005, 10:02 AM
If you otherwise like your LG, look at their newer models. We're happy with ours that we got a year ago and they don't seem (to us, anyway) to eat batteries.Will do. Thanks!

Paul
10-27-2005, 11:25 AM
My current Verizon phone, about six months old, is a Nokia -- a basic model with no camera or web browser. I've been quite happy with it and its battery life seems to be quite good, although I don't spend a lot of time on it most days.

PeterArnel
10-27-2005, 02:08 PM
I had Sony Erricsons for a long time and had nothing but trouble with them - two I think crept onto my car roof and were left in a ditch - but all of them had problems with power and battery life - I rnow un with Nokia - and if you look at the standard business phone in the UK Nokia seems to be the one most used - I like my Nokia - you can open it up and it has a small Querty keyboard- its great
Peter

jgr
10-27-2005, 06:44 PM
My current Verizon phone, about six months old, is a Nokia -- a basic model with no camera or web browser. I've been quite happy with it and its battery life seems to be quite good, although I don't spend a lot of time on it most days.Thanks, Paul. I will certainly look at the Nokias.

jgr
10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
I had Sony Erricsons for a long time and had nothing but trouble with them - two I think crept onto my car roof and were left in a ditch - but all of them had problems with power and battery life - I rnow un with Nokia - and if you look at the standard business phone in the UK Nokia seems to be the one most used - I like my Nokia - you can open it up and it has a small Querty keyboard- its great
PeterThat's two votes for Nokia, so I'll be sure to take a look at those. Thanks!

annc
10-27-2005, 09:09 PM
That's two votes for Nokia, so I'll be sure to take a look at those. Thanks!My first digital phone was a Nokia, and I hated it - but that was 1996 - 2000, and at that time, a lot of people here hated the Nokias.

Since 2000 I've had a Siemens, and still love it. It's still on the original battery, which no longer lasts very long, but I think it's entitled to be a bit tired after 5 and a half years. There's a new battery waiting for me at the battery kiosk in the local shopping mall, but I have to overcome my extreme dislike of shopping malls to go and pick it up. ;)

jgr
10-28-2005, 06:20 AM
My first digital phone was a Nokia, and I hated it - but that was 1996 - 2000, and at that time, a lot of people here hated the Nokias.
Since 2000 I've had a Siemens, and still love it. Ditto here -- my first one was a Nokia and I hated it. But enough people have said they like the new ones that I surely will look at them. Verizon doesn't offer any Siemens phones.

George
10-29-2005, 06:02 AM
I have to overcome my extreme dislike of shopping malls to go and pick it up. ;)

Take a friend with you or someone you really like, and get involved in some heavy conversation while you're there, and then, you don't really notice the mall so much, or it seems like a side thing. Works for me.

Regards,

George

annc
10-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Take a friend with you or someone you really like, and get involved in some heavy conversation while you're there, and then, you don't really notice the mall so much, or it seems like a side thing. Works for me.Good idea! I'll have to line up someone who also hates them. Then we can become part of the strollers as we chat. One of the things that I hate most is that my headlong rush to get in and out in a hurry is stymied by the pace at which the groups all walk. ;)

Richard Waller
10-29-2005, 10:58 PM
I went for the simplest in the shop. And my ring tone is the one that vibrates.

During the recent troubles in London everyone was taking pictures and movies with their mobile phones. Do you want to do this? Are these features, like the filofax used to be, that you MUST have? And is anyone surfing the Internet on their phone, or do you need a Blackberry?

jgr
10-30-2005, 08:30 AM
During the recent troubles in London everyone was taking pictures and movies with their mobile phones. Do you want to do this?Nope nope nope. As I said, the only three things I use are the phone, the alarm and the silence/vibrate feature. That's it.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
10-30-2005, 08:48 AM
I've had two Nokia phones on AT&T/Cingular and they are extremly good on battery life.

So if Verizon offer them I'd certainly check them out.

jgr
10-30-2005, 05:08 PM
I've had two Nokia phones on AT&T/Cingular and they are extremly good on battery life. So if Verizon offer them I'd certainly check them out.Verizon doesn't have a whole lot of choice among basic phones, Hugh, and the Nokia in that class didn't impress me a whole lot (it's the Nokia 2128i). I think I like the LG4650 better, but that may be in part because I'm used to LG. Decisions, decisions...

Hugh Wyn Griffith
10-30-2005, 05:21 PM
The Nokia 2128i seems to have the features you mentioned.

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/2128i/0,7747,feat:1,00.html

My current one is a 3120b which I got for travelling since it covers 3 of the 4 bands -- worked extremely well in France, even in the Metro, but in UK the service I logged onto was extremely patchy even in London.

I really appreciate the speaker phone but I wear hearing aids which can whistle with many phones held to the ear.

I would like a slightly larger keyboard than I have but like the compactness of the 3120b

jgr
10-31-2005, 05:43 AM
The Nokia 2128i seems to have the features you mentioned.It does have the features, yes, but it doesn't feel right in my hand nor sound quite right in my ear.

Norman Hathaway
11-01-2005, 08:46 PM
samsung has a very nice phone that slides open to reveal a keyboard. outstanding battery life as well.

jgr
11-02-2005, 06:02 AM
samsung has a very nice phone that slides open to reveal a keyboard. outstanding battery life as well.Thanks for the recommendation.

terrie
11-02-2005, 02:30 PM
hugh: I really appreciate the speaker phone but I wear hearing aids which can whistle with many phones held to the ear.

Do your hearing aids have t-coils? I'm not sure there are hearing aid compatible (has the matching t-coil) cell phones but if there are and you have t-coils in your aids then by switching to the t-coil setting on your aids you would eliminate that horrendous feedback problem...

Terrie