PDA

View Full Version : Font Names With Commas

Sara
10-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi,

Working on Windows XP and using Extensis Suitcase.

Any fonts with commas in their names do not show up in Quark XPress or Adobe Photoshop font lists. This means a lot of italics, bolds, etc. are unusable, even tho' I do have the font.

Has anyone else experienced this/have a resolution/etc.?

ktinkel
10-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Working on Windows XP and using Extensis Suitcase.

Any fonts with commas in their names do not show up in Quark XPress or Adobe Photoshop font lists. This means a lot of italics, bolds, etc. are unusable, even tho' I do have the font.

Has anyone else experienced this/have a resolution/etc.?I didn’t realize that font names ever had commas, on any platform. Can you provide an example?

Maybe someone changed the names (to make the fonts show up in a particular order in lists, maybe). Perhaps you can reinstall from your source CDs or downloads?

Michael Rowley
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
KT:

I didn’t realize that font names ever had commas

Some of my Adobe Minion Pro fonts show up as, for example, 'Minion Pro, Bold Italic' in ATM Deluxe. The Postcript names never have a space or a comma.

ktinkel
10-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Some of my Adobe Minion Pro fonts show up as, for example, 'Minion Pro, Bold Italic' in ATM Deluxe. The Postcript names never have a space or a comma.Aha! That must be what she is up against.

You would think Extensis would accommodate the names, especially if they are coming from Adobe. I am sure they have heard of Adobe! <g>

Perhaps there has been an update to Suitcase that would work.

Thanks.

Paul
10-26-2005, 02:46 PM
What version of Photoshop? Support for OpenType fonts appeared in version 6.0 of Photoshop (and 9.0 of Illustrator). Information about this, and suggestions for many other font problems (most of which will not help, I predict) are at http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322050.html.

Sara
10-27-2005, 06:14 AM
I wasn't very clear. The font name itself (folder it came in, name of the file) doesn't have commas. But both font management programs I've tried (first ATM and now Suitcase) list them with commas (Alexa, bold) like what Michael said.

These are all postscript fonts. I am using Quark 6.5 and Photoshop 8.0.

Michael Rowley
10-27-2005, 06:37 AM
sara:

Are those fonts with commas linked? Some applications take it for granted that all fonts have a regular, italic, bold, and bold italic; these are all listed as (for example) 'Arial'. This is said to be true only of Windows applications, not Macintosh, but it my have changed.

Sara
10-27-2005, 08:38 AM
sara:

Are those fonts with commas linked? Some applications take it for granted that all fonts have a regular, italic, bold, and bold italic; these are all listed as (for example) 'Arial'. This is said to be true only of Windows applications, not Macintosh, but it my have changed.
Not sure what you mean by linked (I'm a novice). They all came in as separate fonts, and were installed the same. When I go to the list, they aren't arranged by families or anything like that. They just don't show up at all in the list.

Michael Rowley
10-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Sara:

Not sure what you mean by linked

Sorry. Windows applications generally (or all of them) do not bother to display certain modifications; these modifications are italic, bold, and bold italic. That does not mean that they are not there, but as they can be accessed by other means (just selecting them, for instance by pressing the buttons labelled 'italic' or 'bold'), they are not listed separately.

If a font has modifications other than italic, bold, or bold italic, these modifications are listed, though only as the roman, not italic, bold, or bold italic.

This behaviour is quite normal (in Windows), and doesn't mean there's anything wrong. However, the disadvantage of this is that if a font (say italic) is missing or defective, you won't know, unless you note that your call for 'italic' just produces a very funny looking italic that your computer has produced obligingly so that it looks genuine to the casual eye.

I understand this behaviour is generally different in the Mac.