PDA

View Full Version : Found in my stuff: U&lc v1n1!!

ktinkel
10-19-2005, 09:56 AM
I often deplore my packrat tendencies, but this morning, for a change, it paid off: I discovered a copy of the very first issue of ITC’s U&lc in a stack of other large-format publications. I was astonished. I thought I had all the issues except the first, which was published in 1973.

The cover is dense, with detailed TOC at left; beginnings of five arcticles at right, with jumps inside; and 7 square illos down the center. It has the iconic original logo.

A few of the articles in the first issue:

Typography and the New Technologies by Aaron Burns (Tiffany)
Stop the “Perpetrators” by Edward Rondthaler (Avant Garde med 8/10)
What’s so Hot about Robert Indiana? by John Canaday (Souvenir)
Is Avant Garde avant garde? by Herb Lubalin (Avant Garde Light, 18?/24)
Condition isn’t bad, better than most in the big stack of issues I have in a cupboard — possibly because these issues were stacked between other publications printed on better paper. These are yellowish (and the type sure would benefit from more contrast!), intact, not brittle.

I’ll see what interesting turns up in them.

annc
10-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Ooh, congratulations. Wonder if you now have the only complete set anywhere!?

ktinkel
10-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Ooh, congratulations. Wonder if you now have the only complete set anywhere!?Oh, I doubt it. Some designers are even worse packrats than I am.

In fact, I bet Joe Treacy, just for one, has a complete set. Or maybe two! <g>

And surely the people who worked there must have squirreled away at least a few sets.

But I sure was surprised to find this copy here, that’s for sure!

annc
10-19-2005, 12:22 PM
But I sure was surprised to find this copy here, that’s for sure!And how wonderful to have a nice surprise. They tend to be unpleasant, as a rule.

ktinkel
10-19-2005, 01:10 PM
And how wonderful to have a nice surprise. They tend to be unpleasant, as a rule.Guess so!

’Course it wouldn’t be a surprise if I kept my stuff in better order. (I can almost hear my mother saying something just like that! <g>)

marlene
10-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Cool!!

I think I saved a handful of issues, but they probably bit the dust when we moved (6 years ago). Mr. E recently confessed to having thrown out a bunch of my stuff (without telling me at the time, of course) and I'm sure old publications would be high on his list of expendable objects.

Of course, he regrets it now. Because some of the stuff could have been sold on eBay. <g>

Maybe one of these days I'll actually clean up this house and go through my boxes of stuff and see if I can find my old U&lc issues. Or maybe not ...

mxh

ktinkel
10-19-2005, 01:32 PM
I think I saved a handful of issues, but they probably bit the dust when we moved (6 years ago). Mr. E recently confessed to having thrown out a bunch of my stuff (without telling me at the time, of course) and I'm sure old publications would be high on his list of expendable objects.

Of course, he regrets it now. Because some of the stuff could have been sold on eBay.Not much of an improvement, if you ask me! Fortunately both Jack and I have odd collections of stuff, so we do not encroach on each other’s piles. Though he usually gladly helps me when I want to dispose of something!

I scanned the cover of that first issue. The second issue’s cover was a bunch of letters from happy readers, including former forum member Larry Miller.

The first issue’s cover was an illustration by Gerry Gersten. I’ll attach it — why not? Then I’ll stop torturing everyone with my new treasure trove. Unless, of course, I find something truly astounding.

ElyseC
10-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Wow! Congrats!

How on earth did you make that move from Westport without stumbling on that issue until now?

I ended up going through every darn box of books and papers before we moved last year, some I'd not looked into for probably 16-17 years. Among other goals, I was hoping to unearth a long lost, favorite book of poetry, but alas. I'm delighted to report, however, that a couple of months ago we were helping my mom clean out her attic and, lo and behold, my dear hubby brought down a box I recognized instantly -- the one that contained my long lost poetry book! I really thought I'd taken it with me when I moved away 27 years ago, but obviously I hadn't!

Now, may we both find more lost treasures!

ktinkel
10-20-2005, 07:18 AM
How on earth did you make that move from Westport without stumbling on that issue until now?No idea. But it was in a box packed by the movers, so guess it just appeared somewhere and got packed.

I will never know.

ElyseC
10-20-2005, 12:36 PM
No idea. But it was in a box packed by the movers, so guess it just appeared somewhere and got packed.Ah, the movers packed it. We had some packing done by the moving company, but none of it books and magazines. In our case we attacked all the easy stuff (books, magazines, tapes, CDs, video media, LPs) first, because they all stacked together neatly and quickly into boxes, and (outside of one small box of books, music and movies we'd need for the kid or for us during the transition) we could easily live without them for a month or more if we had to.

Yes, if someone else packs, you have no idea what's where. Took me 11 months to find one set of pillowcases. I'd given them up for lost, then found them in a most surprising box. The box had been packed by a friend and the pillowcases had been drafted into service as cushioning for something breakable. <g>

ktinkel
10-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Yes, if someone else packs, you have no idea what's where. Took me 11 months to find one set of pillowcases. I'd given them up for lost, then found them in a most surprising box. The box had been packed by a friend and the pillowcases had been drafted into service as cushioning for something breakable. <g>When we moved from Manhattan to rural Connecticut we used thick socks to cushion the champagne glasses. Of course, we unpacked more practical things first, and didn’t find the socks until the weather got really cold.

Typical moving story, I am sure.

don Arnoldy
10-20-2005, 08:09 PM
I scanned the cover of that first issue.If you're in a scanning mood, I appreciate a scan of the cover that is a portait done in reversed letters on a black background!

--don

ktinkel
10-21-2005, 06:20 AM
If you're in a scanning mood, I appreciate a scan of the cover that is a portait done in reversed letters on a black background!Sure. That is v6n3, so 1978.

The collection is (unfortunately) stacked in two tall piles in a wooden cabinet. And not in any order. I just went through the ones on the top shelf (discovering an old TypeWorld lurking in the pile, and a mixture of early and late issues), but it was not among them.

To go through the lower pile, Jack will have to help. I’ll try to find it later.

ElyseC
10-21-2005, 06:47 AM
Typical indeed.

My pillowcases were flannel and went with my favorite sheet set, so it bugged the heck out of me that I could not find the dratted things all winter when I really really needed them! I found them in the middle of 90 degree temps, of course, but they're all washed and ready to go on the bed now! <g>

BradW
10-21-2005, 10:11 AM
I wish I still had the issue in which my "ransom note" (how original!) request for a subscription was printed. I imagine it was in late ’78 or so, as I started in the biz in July of that year.

Brad

ktinkel
10-21-2005, 11:13 AM
I wish I still had the issue in which my "ransom note" (how original!) request for a subscription was printed. I imagine it was in late ’78 or so, as I started in the biz in July of that year.Jack said he would help me organize these piles. If I find two of that one, you can have one.

But first I need to get some sort of archival storage boxes. I was thinking about it before, since the paper is so fragile, but now — if I am going to handle them — is a good time.

U&lc was published for 25 or 26 years — that means a mere 100-ish issues. I am pretty sure I have more than that.

brtuffli
10-31-2005, 10:04 AM
hi guys

i'm new to this forum. i'm a semi-retired graphic designer in the midwest. i saw your posts on u&lc, and recalled that i have a complete set in my basement. is there any market for these? they're still stimulating and inspiring to look at, but i don't do much design work anymore, and maybe someone else could profit by perusing them. great design that still holds up even 30 years later (unlike a lot of the stuff i see today)!

thanks for any input here.

bruce

Jonathan
10-31-2005, 11:11 AM
I thought I had all the issues except the first, which was published in 1973.Didn't you mention that they were giving out complete sets to those in attendance when they closed up shop a few years back? I thought you grabbed another set then.

I have two file boxes full stowed away, from about 1980 to the end. Treasures.

don Arnoldy
10-31-2005, 11:30 AM
is there any market for these?I suspect they would be invaluable to the libray of a school that teaches graphic design. If you don't have a favorite such school that wants them, I'd be happy to take them off your hands for mine!

--don

ElyseC
10-31-2005, 12:29 PM
i'm new to this forum. i'm a semi-retired graphic designer in the midwest. i saw your posts on u&lc, and recalled that i have a complete set in my basement. is there any market for these?Where are you in the Midwest? I'm near the University of Iowa and bet their design department might like the collection.

ktinkel
10-31-2005, 01:19 PM
i'm new to this forum. i'm a semi-retired graphic designer… Hi, Bruce — welcome to the forum. I too am a semi-retired graphic designer!

I see others have some ideas of what you could do with your U&lc stash. You might also want to check on eBay to see if there are people who would pay money for them.

ktinkel
10-31-2005, 01:20 PM
Didn't you mention that they were giving out complete sets to those in attendance when they closed up shop a few years back? I thought you grabbed another set then.They did give me a set — of every issue except No. 1!

Where this one came from I am not sure. But it is real. <g>

deB
10-31-2005, 02:51 PM
KT,

This is so bizarre. Out of nowhere, TODAY I was discussing with eec an article in U&lc, which had to be from 1977-78, because I can clearly picture the article in my hand as I read it, sitting at my desk in Composition Central, the typesetting department at Compugraphic, and I only had that desk from about summer '77 to April '78.

And then you posted that note, which she promptly forwarded to me.

The article was about Gill Sans, specifically how it won prizes for legibility, both in speed and retention. It also talked about Gill's Perpetua, and the fact that he was a stonecutter, and that Perpetua was intended to be legible on gravestones after centuries of abuse in which parts of the letters wore away.

Being a fan of both fonts and cognitive science, I was fascinated at the idea that the stonecutter's distinctive fragments might correspond to exquisitely high "recognizability," hence the high readability scores.

Any chance your glorious collection of U&lc has that article? Google as I might, I was unable to find that specific content anywhere.

Lord knows it's been a LONG time since I mentioned that publication to anyone.

deB
10-31-2005, 03:19 PM
’Course it wouldn’t be a surprise if I kept my stuff in better order. (I can almost hear my mother saying something just like that! <g>)
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.

– A. A. Milne

The blogger at http://randomfrequency.net/blog/2004/11/09/disorderly-discoveries/ refines it to "I would say that being a disorganized packrat is what leads to the exciting discoveries."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

ktinkel
10-31-2005, 04:40 PM
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.

– A. A. Milne
The blogger at http://randomfrequency.net/blog/2004/11/09/disorderly-discoveries/ refines it to "I would say that being a disorganized packrat is what leads to the exciting discoveries."

Couldn't have said it better myself.Well, I suppose so. But it is sometimes very inconvenient! <g>

I mean, it is unlikely that I will discover the next penicillin or anything useful? (Unless all that moldy stuff on the books is a cure for something!)

jayar
10-06-2015, 03:12 AM
Greetings. I know these posts are pretty old, but I am cleaning up my office and I have a complete set of U&lc which I might consider parting with. Any buyers/offers out there?

terrie
10-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Hey Jay...welcome to the forum...

If no one here bites, I wonder if you might find takers on ebay--DE, UK, US?

Terrie