PDA

View Full Version : Cool duds from India (ladies only)

ktinkel
10-14-2005, 10:42 AM
I got a neat catalog today, completely unbidden, from a company called Marketplace: Handwork of India (http://marketplaceindia.com). I didn’t even know about this place, which works with cooperatives in India to make women’s clothing, some of it extremely far out (but beautiful), others more normal from an American’s perspective.

Of the far-out pieces I really loved the Himalayan coat: reversible (patchwork prints to black/tan stripe), long, flowing, somewhat wide sleeves. Pockets. Dramatic. But I had to realize I would never wear it, so that was out. Now if we were still in the 1960s (and I in my 20s and in Berkeley or NYC ...), it would be another story.

There are also vests, blouses, dresses, pants, hats, scarves, housewares — all of incredible fabrics. A gorgeous reversible bedspread, nice tablecloths. India has a long tradition of dyeing, and many of the patterns are related to the various regions of the country.

I did order a Raj jacket, of which they have many colorations, all reversible. The one I ordered is magenta with blue/natural figured patches on one side, and a relatively tame tan/natural on the other. Pockets on both sides. Fastens with a tie.

And a Mysore jacket: black/purple hand-woven ikat (one of my favorite things in the world), reversing to teal solid with embroidery down one side. Button front; two pockets.

We shall see how they are when they arrive (in a week, the web site promises).

Icky web site — one of those ultra-Java places, with things sort of lurching about. Wouldn’t show at all in Firefox, but Opera worked.

annc
10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
It's very slow and clunky, but works for me in Firefox.

Some very nice clothes there, btw. I do like the pants.

ktinkel
10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
It's very slow and clunky, but works for me in Firefox.

Some very nice clothes there, btw. I do like the pants.Hmmm. Maybe I got impatient. Page came up blank, with Done down in the corner, so I just switched to Opera.

Nice pants, a lovely pair of culottes — very full, in a small batiky-looking print in maroon and orange — that could do very well as a going-out skirt.

Almost everything is washable cotton, a great virtue in my book.

terrie
10-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Couldn't find a link to actually look at the clothes and tried the sitemap link (https://www.marketplaceindia.org:444/mp30/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=site_frame.htm&UID=%21+USID%21) which showed everything...some interesting stuff...

Terrie

ktinkel
10-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Couldn't find a link to actually look at the clothes and tried the sitemap link (https://www.marketplaceindia.org:444/mp30/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=site_frame.htm&UID=%21+USID%21) which showed everything...some interesting stuff...It is not a terrific web site, that’s for sure, though it works well enough once you figure it out.

I’ll report back once I have received my order.

terrie
10-14-2005, 01:08 PM
>>kt: I’ll report back once I have received my order.

I'm most curious...

Terrie

annc
10-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Almost everything is washable cotton, a great virtue in my book.And cool! I went looking for cotton knit nighties recently (all mine had holes in them at the shoulders) and all I could find in the local shops were poly/cotton, which is horrid to wear in our heat and humidity. Eventually I got three large men's T-shirts for less than $30.

Franca
10-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Ooh, nice vests! Also reversible, very cool. Two-in-one, so well worth the price if they're well made. (Haven't looked at anything but vests yet.)

The web site is working OK for me on Firefox on PC. Speedy and nothing jumping about.

ktinkel
10-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Ooh, nice vests! Also reversible, very cool. Two-in-one, so well worth the price if they're well made. (Haven't looked at anything but vests yet.)Take a look at the coats. Really amazing stuff.

The Indians are centuries ahead of us (or behind, maybe — whatever it takes) when it comes to fabrics and dyeing.