PDA

View Full Version : Lino revives Matrix mag (& rant)

ktinkel
10-14-2005, 08:56 AM
After five decades, Linotype is reviving Linotype Matrix (http://www.linotype.com/matrix) as a magazine. Like other past publications including the Monotype Recorder, Adobe’s Font & Function, and ITC’s U&lc, Matrix was (and is) a promotional publication, designed to showcase a company’s font offerings.

But because it focuses on things typographic, most of us do not mind — and even may enjoy — the ads and promotional parts of the publication.

So I was glad to see the announcement from Linotype, with the 30% off deal, and ran right off and ordered it, once again falling into the Linotype trap: no information on shipping costs until the screen where you authorize payment and then, wham! — $25 to ship a magazine costing $8.50.

I suppose they may be greedy, but mostly I think they are, um, let me be really rude: stupid! They used to have representatives in the U.S., England, and elsewhere. If not, they would not be hard to find. Surely they could ship a few dozen copies of an issue to one of these guys so the shipping could be a couple of bucks instead of nearly three times the purchase price!!

And surely they could reorganize their web site so that one could see the shipping cost before submitting credit card information and another four or five screens of information? (I guess this may be the greed part.)

The shameful thing is I actually went for it, as I want to see what they are doing, and I collect typographic ephemera. But did think I should warn the rest of you about this annoying “customer service” policy.

terrie
10-14-2005, 01:51 PM
>>kt: $25 to ship a magazine costing $8.50.

OWWW!!!!

Terrie

dthomsen8
10-14-2005, 05:45 PM
You have made your case with us, but have you found a way to howl at them? We might even join in.

I share your annoyance that you don't learn the shipping costs until the end of the ordering process. Too many sites do this, even concealing the price of the item until you get into the ordering process. You have the right word, stupid.

ktinkel
10-14-2005, 05:49 PM
You have made your case with us, but have you found a way to howl at them? We might even join in.

I share your annoyance that you don't learn the shipping costs until the end of the ordering process. Too many sites do this, even concealing the price of the item until you get into the ordering process. You have the right word, stupid.You’re right. It is possible I even know someone at Lino/Germany, so could actually get my complaint registered.

I think I will give it a try. The last time I went through this mishegaas I simply canceled out (after 20 minutes of clicking, reading, and typing). Are they nuts?

Thanks.

PeterArnel
11-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Who owns Linotype these days???

ktinkel
11-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Who owns Linotype these days???Heidelberg.