PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. CompuServe

ktinkel
09-29-2005, 01:48 PM
It appears that CompuServe has gone to its eternal rest. I just got the attached page when I went to visit Cooks forum this afternoon.

The forums do not seem to have changed in other ways, not yet at least. And regular members now get to see 10 messages in a thread (instead of the old 3-message limit).

But it is the end of a wonderful old service, one that I was part of for nearly 20 years. Sniffle …

terrie
09-29-2005, 01:51 PM
ewww...ick!

Not that I'm visting all that often but sad...too very sad...

Terrie

ktinkel
09-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Not that I'm visiting all that often but sad...too very sad...It makes me sad too, but not at this change so much as all that has happened since we left our shabby old home more than a year ago.

Ah, well. I am more than ever glad that we left when we did.

JohnC
09-29-2005, 02:25 PM
It was strange to go there and see that Netscape logo at the top. But the 10 message "upgrade" is a good thing.

terrie
09-29-2005, 02:30 PM
>>kt: but not at this change so much as all that has happened since we left our shabby old home more than a year ago.

Yeah...

>>Ah, well. I am more than ever glad that we left when we did.

Me too...much nicer here...'-}}

Terrie

don Arnoldy
09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
It appears that CompuServe has gone to its eternal rest.Sad, but not unexpected. Here's the official line:

CompuServe Channels To Be Powered By Netscape

We wanted to let you know about an important new partnership. Beginning in mid-September, many of your favorite CompuServe Channels will be brought to you by Netscape. But even though they may say Netscape on top, you'll feel right at home with all of the content and choices.

First, the layout is staying exactly the same. Second, customized content (such as your local weather and stock lists) will remain unchanged. Third, the way you connect to CompuServe will not change -- you will use the same access numbers, Screen Names, e-mail addresses, software, Forums and Parental Controls settings you use today. And finally, some CompuServe channels (like CPro, Member Center and others) will not be changing at all.

What will change is that you will begin to benefit from Netscape's expertise in providing the most timely and relevant information to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. And for our part, we will continue to deliver the same great connectivity, e-mail and other services you have come to expect. It's the best of two great pioneering brands on the Internet in one place.

Franca
09-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Oh my gosh - still a bit of a shock. I've been expecting it for so long that I'd sort of stopped expecting it, if you know what I mean. The CompuServe Help forum and its CompuServe Live Chat still appear to exist ... but I guess they're just a section now to help folks with their aging CIS software....

Franca
09-29-2005, 04:06 PM
And finally, some CompuServe channels (like CPro, Member Center and others) will not be changing at all.

What will change is that you will begin to benefit from Netscape's expertise in providing the most timely and relevant information to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. And for our part, we will continue to deliver the same great connectivity, e-mail and other services you have come to expect. It's the best of two great pioneering brands on the Internet in one place.Ah, this explains my observations.

Susie
09-29-2005, 07:06 PM
It was strange to go there and see that Netscape logo at the top. But the 10 message "upgrade" is a good thing.

I was just there and wondering why the Netscape logo was at the top. Now I understand. Too bad. Compuserve used to be good.

jgr
09-29-2005, 08:20 PM
But it is the end of a wonderful old service, one that I was part of for nearly 20 years. Sniffle …The real surprise -- given all the mistakes made over the years (starting with H&R Block never really understanding what a gem they had in Compuserve) -- is that it lasted as long as it did.

Sic transit gloria mundi and all that.

ktinkel
09-30-2005, 04:51 AM
The real surprise -- given all the mistakes made over the years (starting with H&R Block never really understanding what a gem they had in Compuserve) -- is that it lasted as long as it did.Yeah. It’s not as if we haven’t seen the writing on the wall for, oh, a decade or more.

terrie
09-30-2005, 02:59 PM
This (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/fasttrack.asp?date=20050929) was just too appropriate in yesterday's "On the Fastrack" comic...

I'm thinking of emailing the author Bill Holbrook (btholbrook@compuserve.com) ...

Terrie

ElyseC
09-30-2005, 03:45 PM
This (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/fasttrack.asp?date=20050929) was just too appropriate in yesterday's "On the Fastrack" comic...

I'm thinking of emailing the author Bill Holbrook (btholbrook@compuserve.com) ...
You do remember that Bill created his Kevin & Kell (http://www.kevinandkell.com/) strip and first published it on Compuserve, right? Our forum was one of those allowed to offer the daily strips in our library. "Kevin & Kell" just celebrated its 10th anniversary and I dropped Bill a note recently to say 'hi' and let him know where to find us again should he want to drop by.

marlene
09-30-2005, 07:00 PM
What a bummer. What'm I gonna do with all my Compuserve Barbies? <g>

mxh

dthomsen8
10-01-2005, 04:38 AM
I was just there and wondering why the Netscape logo was at the top. Now I understand. Too bad. Compuserve used to be good.

Oh, Compuserve was good back in the H&R Block days, but once AOL bought it, the future was clear. More ads, less friendly, and eventually, extinction.

dthomsen8
10-01-2005, 04:41 AM
What a bummer. What'm I gonna do with all my Compuserve Barbies? <g>

mxh

Not a problem, sell them on eBay.

dthomsen8
10-01-2005, 04:43 AM
Sic transit gloria mundi and all that.

Lawyers love Latin.

Can you explain how the Netscape service works? Can it be used for free?

David

ktinkel
10-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Can you explain how the Netscape service works? Can it be used for free?Netscape and CompuServe work the same way. In fact, the two have been co-existed since CIS moved to the web. We went to INETPUB, for example, as CompuServe users but it was also possible for Netscape users to reach it as well.

Now they have merged the two, but Netscape is the only identity. I believe that Netscape users used to see a Netscape banner on INETPUB, whereas we saw CompuServe. Now everyone sees the Netscape banner.

But everything you did before should work as well, including URLs. And you do not have to join to use the forums.

dthomsen8
10-01-2005, 06:52 AM
But everything you did before should work as well, including URLs. And you do not have to join to use the forums.

Ah, but the forums seem to be well concealed if I go to www.netscape.com (http://www.netscape.com). I did find the PC Hardware forum from a blurb on the lower left of a screen.

donmcc
10-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Oh, Compuserve was good back in the H&R Block days

What made CIS good was the user base, not anything the ownsership or management did. They failed to move with the times and adapt, as AOL did. If CIS had put half the efforts into marketing and programming that AOL did, it would have been the survivor of the two.

H&R Block thought it was a cash cow, and they milked it dry.

Don McCahill

ktinkel
10-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Ah, but the forums seem to be well concealed if I go to www.netscape.com (http://www.netscape.com). I did find the PC Hardware forum from a blurb on the lower left of a screen.That was also true if you went to the CompuServe center — you had to search for the Forums.

It works best to have bookmarks set up, then you never see that page. I have a bookmark set to take me to Cooks Forum and MyStuff. From there I can navigate to any forums without need of that initial page.

Michael Rowley
10-01-2005, 02:15 PM
KT:

The new NetScape-managed forums lack advertisements (at the moment), which is a blessing, but otherwise they're the same as ever, but not very much frequented.

ktinkel
10-01-2005, 05:02 PM
The new NetScape-managed forums lack advertisements (at the moment), which is a blessing, but otherwise they're the same as ever, but not very much frequented.Really? I see lots of ads there. And I do not believe the management has changed one iota — only the name has changed, but the people behind the curtain are the same.

Susie
10-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Actually, there are ads. That part has not gone away.

Michael Rowley
10-02-2005, 07:50 AM
KT:

I see lots of ads there

The difference might be (a) that you and I are not looking at the same forums (I think it unlikely that you have bookmarked WUGNet forums), (b) that adverts are now national, or (c) that not all forums are presented the same way. Support for (c) is given by the fact that I only get three messages on a page, but you're seeing ten.

annc
10-02-2005, 11:52 AM
KT:

I see lots of ads there

The difference might be (a) that you and I are not looking at the same forums (I think it unlikely that you have bookmarked WUGNet forums), (b) that adverts are now national, or (c) that not all forums are presented the same way. Support for (c) is given by the fact that I only get three messages on a page, but you're seeing ten.You should be able to see ten messages on a page if you go into My Stuff and change the settings.

I see 20 messages per page, as they have yet to cancel my account. One thing I have noticed is that the banner ad in the right-hand column has disappeared. The top banner and advertising links at the foot are still there.

terrie
10-02-2005, 12:12 PM
>>elysec: You do remember that Bill created his Kevin & Kell (http://www.kevinandkell.com/) strip and first published it on Compuserve, right?

No...I remember mentions of K&K but had never see it until I clicked on your link...

Glad you dropped him a note...I do hope he might pop by...

Terrie

Michael Rowley
10-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Ann:

You should be able to see ten messages on a page if you go into My Stuff and change the settings

I have news for you: if I change my settings so that I get 10 messages at a time, I get the adverts too. If I change bac to three, the adverts disappear. Perhaps Netscape hasn't discovered that yet.

ktinkel
10-02-2005, 04:20 PM
I have news for you: if I change my settings so that I get 10 messages at a time, I get the adverts too. If I change back to three, the adverts disappear.How profoundly interesting!

Tee-hee.

annc
10-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Ann:

You should be able to see ten messages on a page if you go into My Stuff and change the settings

I have news for you: if I change my settings so that I get 10 messages at a time, I get the adverts too. If I change bac to three, the adverts disappear. Perhaps Netscape hasn't discovered that yet.Fascinating! No ads at all with three messages?

Franca
10-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Isn't that interesting? I'm reluctant to test that view, though, for fear I won't be able to change it back. Silly, I know, but ....

annc
10-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Isn't that interesting? I'm reluctant to test that view, though, for fear I won't be able to change it back. Silly, I know, but ....I have a tame user that I can test it with. BRB...

Well, this is interesting. Can't log in at all with Opera - get the waiting cursor indefinitely.

I've managed to log in with Netscape 7.1 and change my messages from three to 10. Now I'm trying to read a thread, but it's been nearly five minutes trying to display the page. First I was waiting for adsby.com and now I'm waiting for prospero.

Ho hum.

I give up.

annc
10-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Three more minutes, and I have one message, filling the screen to the right. I've read it, but can't go any further.
Three more minutes, and I have the 'right' screen. But there is a horizontal scroll bar.
And what I am seeing is identical (apart from the scroll bar) to what I see with 20 messages.

annc
10-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Three more minutes, and I have one message, filling the screen to the right. I've read it, but can't go any further.
Three more minutes, and I have the 'right' screen. But there is a horizontal scroll bar.
And what I am seeing is identical (apart from the scroll bar) to what I see with 20 messages.Back to three messages, and it is a lot quicker, I have only a tiny horizontal scroll bar, and I get exactly the same ads as with 20 or 10.

annc
10-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Back to three messages, and it is a lot quicker, I have only a tiny horizontal scroll bar, and I get exactly the same ads as with 20 or 10.Oh, no - I scrolled, and now I have the bigger horizontal scroll.

Franca
10-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Heh - I knew there was a reason to let someone else muck around with it. ;-)

annc
10-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Heh - I knew there was a reason to let someone else muck around with it. ;-)Gee, thanks. I think. ;-)

jgr
10-03-2005, 06:26 AM
Can you explain how the Netscape service works? Can it be used for free?There's a difference between the Netscape forums and the Netscape service. The Netscape forums are no different from the old Compuserve forums -- get a screen name and a web browser and do what you want. The Netscape service is a $9.95 a month ISP.

Cristen Gillespie
10-03-2005, 07:01 AM
I have a tame user that I can test it with. BRB...

Well, this is interesting. Can't log in at all with Opera - get the waiting cursor indefinitely.

I've managed to log in with Netscape 7.1 and change my messages from three to 10. Now I'm trying to read a thread, but it's been nearly five minutes trying to display the page. First I was waiting for adsby.com and now I'm waiting for prospero.

Ho hum.

I give up.

So I'm not the only one with serious problems. I couldn't use my bookmarks at all with either Firefox or Safari. I finally clicked a mail link directly to a message sent to me and got in with Safari, and now Safari works, but still not Firefox, so it sounds like a cookie???

Only it may not be worth it to me anymore since it takes 4 minutes to get in at all, and 2 minutes per page (that's with 3 messages per page). I switched to 10 just as I quit, and haven't tried how fast that loads, but some dialup users, anyway, are not going to be able to enjoy anything at all about CIS anymore.

I only went to Photography and Cooks, but I'll have to give them up if it continues to crawl like this. And if I do, I guess I start looking for a new ISP and go through the hassle of getting a new addy.

dthomsen8
10-03-2005, 07:09 AM
You should be able to get free access with an AOL Screen Name in the http://www.Netscape.com (http://www.netscape.come/) web site. My difficulties come from having had two AOL screen names, but now I have trouble with the passwords. I really want access to the PC Hardware, Win XP and older Win Support forums, and sometimes History or Politics. Not willing to pay for CIS by the month when I don't use the Internet access or the email anymore.

David

So I'm not the only one with serious problems. I couldn't use my bookmarks at all with either Firefox or Safari. I finally clicked a mail link directly to a message sent to me and got in with Safari, and now Safari works, but still not Firefox, so it sounds like a cookie???

Only it may not be worth it to me anymore since it takes 4 minutes to get in at all, and 2 minutes per page (that's with 3 messages per page). I switched to 10 just as I quit, and haven't tried how fast that loads, but some dialup users, anyway, are not going to be able to enjoy anything at all about CIS anymore.

I only went to Photography and Cooks, but I'll have to give them up if it continues to crawl like this. And if I do, I guess I start looking for a new ISP and go through the hassle of getting a new addy.

Michael Rowley
10-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Ann:

this is interesting

It probably won't last long. If they don't notice themselves, they'll probably get it from the Web.

Michael Rowley
10-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Ann:

this is interesting

I've just increased the number of messages to five: still no adverts.

annc
10-03-2005, 12:09 PM
So I'm not the only one with serious problems. I couldn't use my bookmarks at all with either Firefox or Safari. I finally clicked a mail link directly to a message sent to me and got in with Safari, and now Safari works, but still not Firefox, so it sounds like a cookie??? I would check your cookies in Firefox. You do need to have it set to accept all cookies, at least for the first login. Thereafter you may be able to restrict them somewhat.

I only went to Photography and Cooks, but I'll have to give them up if it continues to crawl like this. And if I do, I guess I start looking for a new ISP and go through the hassle of getting a new addy.Well, I'm on ADSL - not a particularly fast ADSL, but a lot faster than dial up. I don't have much difficulty on the Mac with the auto logon to the Gardening forum, which is the only one I visit regularly any more. I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but that experiment was done on the PC.

annc
10-03-2005, 12:13 PM
I've just increased the number of messages to five: still no adverts.If you read this message (http://desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?postid=15663#poststop), you'll see that I get exactly the same results - the top banner and bottom links - with 20, 10 or three, using two different logins.

Michael Rowley
10-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Ann:

you'll see that I get exactly the same results

They've twigged it now! Oh well, it was nice while it lasted, though I expect the advertisers weren't happy.

ktinkel
10-03-2005, 04:37 PM
you'll see that I get exactly the same resultsThey've twigged it now! Oh well, it was nice while it lasted, though I expect the advertisers weren't happy.Huh? Boy, oh boy — am I confused by this thread!

:-)

Franca
10-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Yes, it is a bit confusing, but the upshot seems to be that advertising now appears no matter how many messages you choose to view at once.

ktinkel
10-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Yes, it is a bit confusing, but the upshot seems to be that advertising now appears no matter how many messages you choose to view at once.Thanks. And I guess!

I wonder if the forums Michael visits have different patterns than others.

I now visit only Cooks, Practice, and Music (rarely). Maybe the PC forums are different?

annc
10-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Huh? Boy, oh boy — am I confused by this thread!

:-)make that two of us.

Michael Rowley
10-04-2005, 07:59 AM
KT:

Huh?

Didn't your mother tell you not to say, 'Huh?'

For a while (about a day), advertisements were not visible in Netscape forums unless you selected 10 messages. If you selected 3, 5, etc. you couldn't see them. This has now been remedied, presumably to the satisfaction of the people paying to have their advertisements displayed.

marlene
10-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Not a problem, sell them on eBay.

That's where I bought them. <g>

I'm gonna keep 'em, though. They are too cool to part with.

mxh