PDA

View Full Version : Do you realize . . .

ktinkel
09-19-2005, 04:19 PM
. . . that your holiday has made you famous?

I see that Google has discovered it. Search on “goats springall” and see.

<g>

Kelvyn
09-20-2005, 01:07 AM
Love it! But what too my eyes here are the sponsored ads which included:

Goat Enthusiasts
Discover Everything You Ever Wanted
To Know About Goats.

ktinkel
09-20-2005, 05:18 AM
Love it! But what too my eyes here are the sponsored ads which included:

Goat Enthusiasts
Discover Everything You Ever Wanted
To Know About Goats.That is like Steve R’s web site, which talks a lot about Acrobat Distiller. Some of the ads I have seen there were about (whiskey) distilleries!

It seems that Google is extremely literal-minded!

ElyseC
09-20-2005, 05:49 AM
That is like Steve R’s web site, which talks a lot about Acrobat Distiller. Some of the ads I have seen there were about (whiskey) distilleries!

It seems that Google is extremely literal-minded!Which begs the question, is there control site owners have over what kind of ads they're going to find displaying on their pages? Apparently not, from everything I've seen. Someone with a service or product to sell could easily have ads of competitors right there, ready to be clicked.

Kelvyn
09-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Someone with a service or product to sell could easily have ads of competitors right there, ready to be clicked.

The ad here is on Google's SERPS page, and the advertisers will be paying for the keyword "goat" - which is not very popular, so the click through cost is low - a niche market. For Adsence, where ads are displayed on other web sites, the ads are served depending on the page content, but the page owner who is using the Adsense service to make a small income can list competing sites whose ads will not be shown on his pages.

ElyseC
09-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Thank you, Kelvyn! I'm sure this is real beginner stuff to most here, but it's all new to me and it's fun having new light bulbs go on over my head! :-)

jrabold
09-20-2005, 11:23 AM
... is there control site owners have over what kind of [Google AdSense] ads they're going to find displaying on their pages? ...

Yes, as Kelvyn noted, but AdSense permits this by URL only. So the site owner usually has to see the ad being displayed on her site before she realizes that she doesn't want it there and excludes it. Of course, if she has specific known competitors she can exclude their URLs in advance. The excluded URLs don't need to be from competitors; they can be of the unrelated, non-germane variety.

ElyseC
09-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Thank you, John. I guess if someone wanted to do their own search using words and terms from their own site they could see what ads turn up at the top and down the sides of the Google results. Any unwanted ads could be noted and added to the block list from the get go, right? Were I to consider Google ads, that's what I'd probably try.