PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of weirdness

Steve Rindsberg
02-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Our late friend Jim Eaves and I used to trade books from time to time. At one point, he sent me one by an old buddy of his from when the two of them lived in the Village in NYC, Kinky Friedman.

Who's now running for governor of Texas.

ktinkel
02-05-2005, 05:45 AM
Our late friend Jim Eaves and I used to trade books from time to time. At one point, he sent me one by an old buddy of his from when the two of them lived in the Village in NYC, Kinky Friedman.

Who's now running for governor of Texas.Yep. Has been for a while, in fact.

Friedman is that oddity, friend of George W., Willie Nelson, and Molly Ivins. So I guess he is a natural diplomat. It may put things in perspective to understand that Texas has a weak governor. Probably all the job is good for is as a springboard for president!

Jim must have told you about Friedman’s rock & roll band, Kinky Friedman & and the Texas Jewboys? The music was not bad, really, but I don’t think they still play.

A real American character. No wonder Jim knew him!

Steve Rindsberg
02-05-2005, 09:21 PM
>>Friedman is that oddity, friend of George W., Willie Nelson, and Molly Ivins. So I guess he is a natural diplomat.

Or Molly's a closet dope fiend? ;-)

>>Jim must have told you about Friedman’s rock & roll band, Kinky Friedman & and the Texas Jewboys? The music was not bad, really, but I don’t think they still play.

I'd heard of them (and ISTR heard something or other of theirs) before Jim mentioned that KF was also a writer.

ktinkel
02-06-2005, 05:27 AM
I'd heard of them (and ISTR heard something or other of theirs) before Jim mentioned that KF was also a writer.Odd coincidence (or maybe not so odd for a campaigning politician!), Kinky Friedman was a guest on “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me” yesterday.

He was the star guest who had to answer three questions correctly to win Carl Castle’s voice on the answering machine of a regular contestant. He only got two.