PDA

View Full Version : Seriously soft socks!

ktinkel
09-10-2005, 08:29 AM
I found some phenomenally soft and fluffy socks at Marshall’s last week. They look like feathers or some other aggregation of fluffy stuff, and feel like heaven on my feet. (Look a bit odd, but hey — what’s the point of being of une certain age if I can’t enjoy myself!)

The ones I got came only in gaudy colors (teal being the tamest; magenta, purple, what I think of as bubblegum pink, and poisonous light green being others; one pair has sky blue and poison green in a funny pattern). Cost $5/pair.

Now I am addicted and looking for more. (My local Marshall’s, of course, has sold out.)

In case you are also interested, I found some called chenille socks at Comfort Corner (http://www.comfortcorner.com/ecscripts/ecware.exe/dcp?id=021&sku=SK62&langcode=E&type=A1CP0): three packs of blue, cream, or pink for $18.

A Hanes subsidiary (http://www.jms.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prnbr=18928&cgnbr=7062000000) also has some, in better colors (navy and red among them). They are $5 each, $4 if you buy 2 pairs or more.

Those are all synthetic blends. As I searched around on the web, I also found these mohair socks from New Zealand (http://www.traveling-light.net/bookstore-socks.shtml), which look pretty fabulous too ($21/pair) — and they come in lovely colors, including apricot and amethyst. These are a blend of mohair with a little nylon, and guaranteed not to itch.

Anyway, if you like funny socks, do look for these.

ElyseC
09-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Sounds like they'd be nice to pad about the house in during cold weather, but I don't know that I'd be brave enough to wear them out in public. <g>

When I was in elementary school, however, I had a perfectly gaudy pair of rainbow striped socks with individual toes and a matching, 4' long stocking cap that served as both hat and scarf. It was the mid to late 1960s, afterall. <g>

ktinkel
09-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Sounds like they'd be nice to pad about the house in during cold weather, but I don't know that I'd be brave enough to wear them out in public. <g>The navy blue ones are conservative enough even for the depths of Iowa (and besides, won’t your socks be hidden in your high boots? <g>).

Anyway, if you try a pair of these, the comfort will trump all other concerns, I promise!

ElyseC
09-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Yes, navy blue would work fine. I live in only three colors of socks in cold weather: navy, black and khaki. Summer? Add white. That's pretty much it. Boring maybe, but definitely practical and I don't have to think too hard when getting dressed. <g>

annc
09-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I found some phenomenally soft and fluffy socks at Marshall’s last week.And no nasty little seam across the tops of the toes? That's the killer for me. I'll put up with almost anything else to get socks without that seam.

Susie
09-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Are they seemless? I too dislike that seam on the toe. It drives me crazy, and because most socks are larger than my feet, the seams can be irritating.

ktinkel
09-11-2005, 06:23 AM
And no nasty little seam across the tops of the toes? That's the killer for me. I'll put up with almost anything else to get socks without that seam.There is a seam across the top of the toes, but it is not rigid, scratchy, or otherwise perceptible when I wear the socks.

I often wear socks inside-out just to get that thing off my feet, so know what you mean — it does not seem to be an issue with these fluffy socks.

Now what might matter to you, though — these may be too warm for the tropics! I have been wearing them this summer, but even as awful as this summer has been, it is not close to what you live with.

Molly/CA
09-11-2005, 07:30 AM
You're sure a budget-buster. First Moleskines (that was you, wasn't it?) and now fluffy socks.

So how do the socks do when you put shoes on? Do they squash down or fill them up as heavy socks do?

All this and magenta too. Love it.

annc
09-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Now what might matter to you, though — these may be too warm for the tropics! I have been wearing them this summer, but even as awful as this summer has been, it is not close to what you live with.They might be nice for midwinter, though - at least for the next couple of years. Global warming is really being felt here - we now have mosquitoes all year round, whereas we used to get about three months without them. And this winter, I had sandals only on in the house without getting cold feet. I don't think there was one single day when I felt the necessity to use the reverse-cycle airconditioner later than about 8 a.m.

ktinkel
09-11-2005, 11:23 AM
You're sure a budget-buster. First Moleskines (that was you, wasn't it?) and now fluffy socks.

So how do the socks do when you put shoes on? Do they squash down or fill them up as heavy socks do?

All this and magenta too. Love it.They compress but do not squash or get thin — they stay soft under/around the foot.

Sorry to tempt you! <g>

Susie
09-11-2005, 05:46 PM
You're right, they probably are too hot, even for our winters. I do have one really nice pair of winter socks that my son got for me at REI, and I put them on when we have the occasional really cold day (never in summer, though.)

Richard Waller
09-11-2005, 11:29 PM
The average man has 29 pairs of socks. I have 39. The trick is to have them all identical of the colour you like. My choice would be yellow but have some other tat as well.

Sayling
09-12-2005, 01:18 AM
But Marks & Spencer have just sabotaged that trick by packaging socks in sets of three different colours.
Sayling

ktinkel
09-12-2005, 06:08 AM
But Marks & Spencer have just sabotaged that trick by packaging socks in sets of three different colours.Not only Marks & Spencer — many sock sellers all over the world.

I really loathe white socks (and don’t think much of tan, either), but some styles that I like are sold only in a set: black, white, and tan. Or, if they are trying to help me express my feminine side, in pink, light blue, and white.

Very annoying. If I really want the socks, I buy them and donate the white ones to GoodWill.

Cristen Gillespie
09-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Not only Marks & Spencer — many sock sellers all over the world.

Or, if they are trying to help me express my feminine side, in pink, light blue, and white.

Very annoying. If I really want the socks, I buy them and donate the white ones to GoodWill.

I keep wondering how many women are doing the Pink Princess thing that so much comes in that combo of pink, baby blue and white. My darling daughter got me the black chenille last Xmas, and they're my favorite socks now, but finding them in the stores in dark colors is very difficult. Fortunately, we're coming up to the next Xmas season, and being that socks are a favorite for that, I have hopes of nailing a dozen pair in dark colors.

ktinkel
09-12-2005, 07:25 AM
I keep wondering how many women are doing the Pink Princess thing that so much comes in that combo of pink, baby blue and white.I dunno either, but some must. Or maybe most wear socks mainly for the gym so don’t care what color they are.

For me, they are my primary fashion statement, so I care a lot! <g>

ElyseC
09-12-2005, 08:09 AM
I dunno either, but some must. Or maybe most wear socks mainly for the gym so don’t care what color they are.

For me, they are my primary fashion statement, so I care a lot! <g>Yesterday I was helping my 85 yr old mom sort through and pack up clothing she late yesterday took to the local hurricane disaster relief donations truck. (Whoever gets her donated clothes will be getting really good stuff!) She went through her sock drawer and with a bunch of plain colored socks (for her, peach, lime, goldenrod, coral and aqua are "plain" - I apparently didn't take my grown-up sock fashion from her <g>) she chose a few fun pair for the donation box, ones with flowers and stars on them. :-)

ktinkel
09-12-2005, 10:16 AM
… my 85 yr old mom … went through her sock drawer and with a bunch of plain colored socks (for her, peach, lime, goldenrod, coral and aqua are "plain" - I apparently didn't take my grown-up sock fashion from her <g>) she chose a few fun pair for the donation box, ones with flowers and stars on them. :-)Sounds like a classy woman to me!

ElyseC
09-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Sounds like a classy woman to me!She lives in a retirement community and makes a point of wearing creative, nice, lively attire. When we go visit her there the rest of the residents look rather dowdy, but they all seem to admire and enjoy what she wears. She says she's determined to, in how she relates and what she wears, "give these people something more interesting to talk about than their latest pains, medicines and doctor visits."

She's a real character, our matriarch and once someone meets her they never forget her! She's fondly referred to as "the troublemaker" by all sorts of people. :-) The latest bit of fun she's having is with what she read on her CAT scan results when the doctor left the exam room for a little too long and left his papers a little too accessible to her. She figured he was taking so long and she had nothing better to entertain herself with, so she grabbed the papers and read. She decided to stop reading when she got to his description of her: "...a pleasant, mildly obese woman." The "mildly obese" part woke her up a bit to what we daughters have been gently saying to her (she's gained a bunch of weight since my dad died a year ago). However the whole thing together just tickled her funny bone and the past week or two she's been telling all her friends at church and the retirement community about it, sharing a good laugh with them. Like I said, she's a real character - nothing shy and retiring about her! :-D

marlene
09-12-2005, 05:28 PM
The average man has 29 pairs of socks.

I wonder how many pairs of socks the average woman has?

I'm sure I have hundreds ... I could probably wear a different pair every day for at least six months.

mxh

marlene
09-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the hot tip! I went to Marshall's today, and the only reason I didn't buy any socks was that I could not make up my mind which ones to get. They had lots of garish colors (I like that in a sock) -- no patterns, unless you count a contrasting areas of colors as patterns.

They had dozens of pairs. I'll have to sneak back there when Mr. E is not with me. <g>

Can you believe it, he thinks I already HAVE enough socks.

mxh

Richard Waller
09-12-2005, 11:43 PM
** hurricane disaster relief donations ***

Charity bodies do such a good job. A friend had his house burned to the ground and both the local social services people and the red cross were round the same day to help. The family could browse through racks of clothes and take away anything that fitted. And of course all the neighbours weighed in as well. So all they have to do now is re-build the house. And stop the teen-agers pocket money for a month or two . . .

ktinkel
09-13-2005, 07:09 AM
I wonder how many pairs of socks the average woman has?

I'm sure I have hundreds ... I could probably wear a different pair every day for at least six months.I might have that many myself, but they are definitely not all created equal. Some I wear over and over; others only when in dire need. And some are really too heavy to wear in the summer or two thin for the winter.

And then there are some that I used to love and think I might again, so I keep them around just in case.

And all the singles, whose mates were lost in the wash. I just know they’ll turn up one day.

ElyseC
09-13-2005, 09:21 AM
And some of them have focused on connecting now-homeless and jobless families with those who are willing to share their homes and provide or help find jobs. Two of my nieces (one in Maryland and one in North Carolina) have registered with one such group to take in a homeless family, but as yet haven't been called.

Cristen Gillespie
09-13-2005, 05:04 PM
I dunno either, but some must. Or maybe most wear socks mainly for the gym so don’t care what color they are.

For me, they are my primary fashion statement, so I care a lot! <g>

My primary fashion statement is a concha, so I really don't want it upstaged by my socks<G>

ktinkel
09-13-2005, 05:53 PM
My primary fashion statement is a concha, so I really don't want it upstaged by my socks<G>Oh, you Californian, you!!

Richard Waller
09-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Wots a Concha please?

ktinkel
09-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Wots a Concha please?Chased (or otherwised ornamented) silver buckles and jewelry, from Mexico or the American Southwest.

I found this picture of a concha belt (http://theturquoiselady.com/concha_image3.html) that may or may not be anything at all like those Cristen has.

Franca
09-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Interesting. I had never heard of a concha before! However, conchos are (usually round or oval) silver decorations on western horse tack. I'm not much into silver but my saddle does have some conchos on it.

conchos (http://www.mecates.com/trim_gallery.htm)

ktinkel
09-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Interesting. I had never heard of a concha before! However, conchos are (usually round or oval) silver decorations on western horse tack. I'm not much into silver but my saddle does have some conchos on it.Actually, I’m not sure which is correct (concha or concho; or both). But I know what it is because the technique is classical and I practiced it (a little) when I was a jeweler.

Some are fabulously beautiful. Others, more ordinary. But some of the old ones are incredible examples of handmade silver.

Cristen Gillespie
09-16-2005, 09:08 AM
That's a very traditional design. I do have something similar. I once followed the silver blur from Albuquerque to Gallup and the many styles and work is quite amazing.

The nice thing about a concha is it goes with everything and fits any size. So you can expand (or shrink, ha, ha) and the belt still fits. No more spending hours trying to find a belt that goes with an outfit, and needing 25 of them things, all different, and often useless when the garment you used it for is worn out.

BTW, I never see Californians wearing them, but I no longer live in a metropolis<G>

Cristen Gillespie
09-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Franca--Concho and concha are the same thing. Concho was the standard spelling, but not the right pronunciation. Now the spelling is changing to reflect the pronunciation, but it's in between change, which probably will take decades, if not forever.

marlene
09-16-2005, 09:18 AM
I always figured that concho was masculine, concha was feminine ... ;)

mxh

marlene
09-16-2005, 09:25 AM
I might have that many myself, but they are definitely not all created equal. Some I wear over and over; others only when in dire need.

I also tend to wear the same ones over and over. A lot of my favorites are too loud to wear with my usual garments (tropical patterned shirts). I've got Hanukkah socks I wear once or twice a year, unless I forget. I've got a whole bagful of "theme" socks I bought at Target -- all kinds of crazy patterns, marked down so cheap I couldn't resist. Flamingos, dogs, tropical flowers, retro "atomic" designs, etc.

I often buy doubles, in case one sock gets lost or maimed.

Many of my socks still have the tags on them -- some are art objects that I may never wear. <g>

mxh

ktinkel
09-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Many of my socks still have the tags on them -- some are art objects that I may never wear. <g>I would have expected no less of you! <g>

Franca
09-16-2005, 11:42 AM
That is what it seemed like, but in the case of this particular noun I could see no reason why both a masculine and feminine version would be needed.

Franca
09-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Interesting - if it's a Spanish word, concho would normally be pronounced as it looks. I wonder how it came to be pronounced as feminine while spelled as masculine?

Franca
09-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Many of my socks still have the tags on them -- some are art objects that I may never wear. <g>I haven't kept any tags, but I do have some that I don't wear because I couldn't stand to wear them out and throw them away. Not that I worry about that as much as I used to. Mostly I just wear my boot socks so that if I suddenly have an opportunity to ride I don't have to change my socks to do it, LOL! The other thing is that it's much more difficult now to find exciting socks in anything but very thin material. I prefer a soft sock with a bit of substance. :)

Cristen Gillespie
09-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Interesting - if it's a Spanish word, concho would normally be pronounced as it looks. I wonder how it came to be pronounced as feminine while spelled as masculine?

I don't know. My mispronunciation, being a Californian who speaks Spanish as she's writ, landed in my sister's PhD dissertation on Santa Fe Style. Everyone outside the region comes to the shops asking for concho belts. No one corrects them, but they say "here's a nice concha." It's actually a sound between the "o" and "a." More like "conchuh." Short "o"?

It's a mystery still to me<G>

Cristen Gillespie
09-17-2005, 06:47 AM
The other thing is that it's much more difficult now to find exciting socks in anything but very thin material. I prefer a soft sock with a bit of substance. :)

I used to have a wonderful collection of exciting socks (in the old days before they clashed with my concha<G>) and I'm sorry now that I actually wore them until they were worn out. Like you, these days the fun socks I can find are made from such crummy yarns that they aren't soft and pleasant at all to wear.

Cristen Gillespie
09-17-2005, 06:52 AM
A lot of my favorites are too loud to wear with my usual garments (tropical patterned shirts).

mxh

Wouldn't wearing those be like coordinating your purse and shoes? Loud socks, loud shirts? Surely they do go together. I'd put them together, anyway, if I didn't have to protect my belt. LOL

annc
09-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Wouldn't wearing those be like coordinating your purse and shoes? Loud socks, loud shirts? Surely they do go together. I'd put them together, anyway, if I didn't have to protect my belt. LOLAccording to the fashion page in one of the papers here a few days ago, clashing patterns and colours are the height of fashion for Summer. The clothes they showed just looked plain messy to me, and far too hot for our summer anyway.

A couple of years ago I found some lovely bright-coloured socks at a discount store. And they didn't have the nasty seam either, so I bought six pairs. I wear them and wash them as carefully as if they'd cost me $100 each! <g>

ElyseC
09-17-2005, 12:20 PM
You know, Lands' End (http://www.landsend.com) has carried seamless-toe socks (http://www.landsend.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?store=le&action=newSearch&sid=0254108656809122050&search=socks&taborstore=all&SearchSubmit.x=53&SearchSubmit.y=9) for as long as I can remember.

ktinkel
09-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Yes, navy blue would work fine.The navy (and red) socks came today and they may not be nearly conservative enough for you.

The navy is sort of brilliant navy, with irridescent sparkles. (In the red, the sparkles are sort of magenta — very nice!) But they look more like something you might hang on a Christmas tree than something a person in Iowa would wear! Very soft, though.

ElyseC
09-17-2005, 01:04 PM
The navy is sort of brilliant navy, with irridescent sparkles. (In the red, the sparkles are sort of magenta — very nice!) But they look more like something you might hang on a Christmas tree than something a person in Iowa would wear!Well, Mother lives here, too, and those sound like something she'd wear. In fact I can think of a bunch of people here who'd wear them. With the exception of my very wild, very bright tye dye T-shirt (that grabs far less attention here than it did in California), I am conservative. I'm loosening up, though, so if I had your sparkly socks I might find a place to wear them once in a while. Dunno about the red with magenta, though; those two colors clash big time in my imagination. <g>

ktinkel
09-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Dunno about the red with magenta, though; those two colors clash big time in my imagination. <g>Pffffft! You must have been indocrinated by one of those kindergarten teachers who swore than pink and red (or blue and green, or magenta and red) clashed.

No such thing! <g> Overcoming those prejudices was one of the pivotal events of my life! <ggg>

ElyseC
09-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Well, red and magenta do clash to my eye, but pink and red can work together, especially in Valentines Day decorations. Blue and green can look great together, too, and I've mixed them a lot over the years, in clothing, graphic design and home decor. Heck, they have to go together or all nature is in big trouble pairing green fields with a bright blue sky!

Just last weekend I attended a wedding wearing a nice dark teal skirt with a navy top and for my belt I wore a gorgeous long scarf that swirled all manor of deep greens and blues together. I got compliments on that outfit. :-)

So there! ;-P

ktinkel
09-18-2005, 05:27 AM
Well, red and magenta do clash to my eye …In the 60s one of my favorite outfits was magenta velour trousers with either a red or purple paisley top. I loved those colors together. However, when it comes to clothing, there are magentas and then there are magentas; a blueish one is better with red.

Cristen Gillespie
09-19-2005, 07:08 AM
According to the fashion page in one of the papers here a few days ago, clashing patterns and colours are the height of fashion for Summer. The clothes they showed just looked plain messy to me, and far too hot for our summer anyway.

I've always thought designers were doing us a favor when they mixed anything and called it fashion. That way *I* can put on what I have, instead of shopping for a top that matches the bottom, or vice versa, and say "I intended to do that." LOL

ElyseC
09-19-2005, 11:25 AM
In the 60s one of my favorite outfits was magenta velour trousers with either a red or purple paisley top. I loved those colors together. However, when it comes to clothing, there are magentas and then there are magentas; a blueish one is better with red.As there are reds and then there are reds. I avoid like the plague clothing in vermillion or any orange-reds, but the blueish reds are just fine.

annc
09-19-2005, 12:25 PM
I've always thought designers were doing us a favor when they mixed anything and called it fashion. That way *I* can put on what I have, instead of shopping for a top that matches the bottom, or vice versa, and say "I intended to do that." LOLI've given up worrying what people think; I just wear what I feel like - especially at 6 a.m. at the all-night bakery. <g>

Franca
09-19-2005, 01:07 PM
I like looking at orange reds on people who can wear them, but can't wear them myself. Reds and pinks must have some blue in them to look decent on me.

ktinkel
09-19-2005, 01:09 PM
I like looking at orange reds on people who can wear them, but can't wear them myself. Reds and pinks must have some blue in them to look decent on me.I cannot wear orange or yellow, although a sort of persimmon red is okay for me. Just so long as it doesn’t tilt toward yellow.

But really, like so many people, I look best in blues. Just get bored with all blue all the time.

Cristen Gillespie
09-20-2005, 12:42 PM
I've given up worrying what people think; I just wear what I feel like - especially at 6 a.m. at the all-night bakery. <g>

I'm getting there. My mom would have a fit if she realised. Even in dementia she'll refuse to use a napkin or wear a bed jacket that doesn't go with what else she's wearing. I'll probably wind up just as silly about that, even at the 24-hour grocery store.<sigh>

annc
09-20-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm getting there. My mom would have a fit if she realised. Even in dementia she'll refuse to use a napkin or wear a bed jacket that doesn't go with what else she's wearing. I'll probably wind up just as silly about that, even at the 24-hour grocery store.<sigh>Ah, the things we stick to. I've lived on my own for over 30 year, but still eat all my meals at the table.

Franca
09-20-2005, 01:39 PM
I do, too, unless what should have been a meal is demoted to a snack due to lateness of the hour or lack of inspiration. In that case I may just stand at the counter ... but I far prefer the table.

ktinkel
09-20-2005, 01:56 PM
I do, too, unless what should have been a meal is demoted to a snack due to lateness of the hour or lack of inspiration. In that case I may just stand at the counter ... but I far prefer the table.Yeah, me too. Among other things, it is hard to read standing up while eating at the same time!

And Jack and I are almost never not reading when we are not actually talking to each other.

annc
09-20-2005, 02:08 PM
I do, too, unless what should have been a meal is demoted to a snack due to lateness of the hour or lack of inspiration. In that case I may just stand at the counter ... but I far prefer the table.In such a situation, no doubt you woudn't be wanting to read at the same time; it's easier to read and eat if you're at the table.

ktinkel
09-20-2005, 04:11 PM
In such a situation, no doubt you woudn't be wanting to read at the same time; it's easier to read and eat if you're at the table.Damn straight! <g>

annc
09-21-2005, 03:44 AM
Damn straight! <g>But of course, this exposes my (at least) double standards. Because while I can't recall ever dog-earing a single page of a book, many of mine chronicle meals consumed via the multi-hued splashes on their pages.

Cristen Gillespie
09-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Ah, the things we stick to. I've lived on my own for over 30 year, but still eat all my meals at the table.

Being a genuine American, I had an old B&W TV given to me as a young adult, but no one gave me a dining table. So I broke that habit early. I eat at table, or not, pretty much as I feel like it at the moment.

Mom's had a hard time not being able to get to a dining table. I've been using a very low marble table in the living room for her, so at least any time she thinks she can walk that far, she does get to eat at a table. What's "right and proper" can stick to the brain at the oddest times.

annc
09-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Being a genuine American, I had an old B&W TV given to me as a young adult, but no one gave me a dining table. So I broke that habit early. I eat at table, or not, pretty much as I feel like it at the moment.Eating a meal on a plate with knife and fork (or a bowl with chopsticks) in a lounge chair is very uncomfortable, in my experience. Perhaps this is also why I tend to eat at the table.

Mom's had a hard time not being able to get to a dining table. I've been using a very low marble table in the living room for her, so at least any time she thinks she can walk that far, she does get to eat at a table. What's "right and proper" can stick to the brain at the oddest times.Yes, I remember my father having these sorts of problems. And the frustration he felt was palpable.

Franca
09-21-2005, 01:03 PM
LOL! I confess to dog-earing paperbacks (only if I can't find a scrap of paper for a bookmark) but wouldn't do it to a "real" book. ;) These days it seems some paperbacks will barely make it through one reading before falling apart which is much more catastrophic than a few turned corners. I especially hate that when it's a cookbook, aargh.

Franca
09-21-2005, 01:05 PM
dog-earing(My dogs' ears don't flop over like that. <g>)

annc
09-21-2005, 01:14 PM
LOL! I confess to dog-earing paperbacks (only if I can't find a scrap of paper for a bookmark) but wouldn't do it to a "real" book. ;) These days it seems some paperbacks will barely make it through one reading before falling apart which is much more catastrophic than a few turned corners. I especially hate that when it's a cookbook, aargh.Yes, cookbooks should be fairly robust. My pet hate with them is the tightly bound perfect binding ones. In my view, real cookbooks should all be spiral-bound.

annc
09-21-2005, 01:15 PM
(My dogs' ears don't flop over like that. <g>)Caddies' never did either, but she got a haematoma on one about 18 months ago, and it does flop a little now.

Franca
09-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Yes, cookbooks should be fairly robust. My pet hate with them is the tightly bound perfect binding ones. In my view, real cookbooks should all be spiral-bound.Yes, let's start a movement! Cookbooks should lie flat and not fall apart when you breathe on them.

ktinkel
09-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Yes, cookbooks should be fairly robust. My pet hate with them is the tightly bound perfect binding ones. In my view, real cookbooks should all be spiral-bound.Or at least fully openable!

Franca
09-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Oooooooooooh, I want these!!!

My dream socks (http://www.socklady.com/cotton/cottonindex.html)

I don't know how they feel, but I love the colors and the mismatchedness! They come in wool also.

Franca
09-21-2005, 02:10 PM
The wool ones look even more comfy. Wonder if I could wear them ... can't wear certain types of wool next to my skin.

Franca
09-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Or at least fully openable!Yes, a nice, substantial hardbound one with enough width and proper page quality to stay open to the right page all by itself.

ElyseC
11-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Ok, got some yesterday. From Penney's. Here (http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=7232&CatID=24072&CatTyp=BRD&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=0d4945b&ProdSeq=19&ProdCount=46&Cat=&Dep=women%27s&RefPage=SearchProducts&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=socks&FromBanner=N&S4DeptID=597&S4PageSize=30&S4Tab=categoryon&S2HighLight=False) they are in their online catalog. I got the shimmery red ones and am wearing them right now. Ahhhhhhh! :)

They had lots more colors and better pricing in the store ($5.99 on sale) and I got another 15% off by putting them on my Penney's card and using a mailer coupon.

So if you want more, head to your local mall!

ktinkel
11-11-2005, 12:44 PM
They had lots more colors and better pricing in the store ($5.99 on sale) and I got another 15% off by putting them on my Penney's card and using a mailer coupon.

So if you want more, head to your local mall!I rather fancy the pink ones. And maybe the purple.

Of course, now I have about 8 pairs of those socks.

marlene
11-11-2005, 03:16 PM
I was poking around in a Ross store last weekend and found some of those furry socks. Nice bright colors -- purple, hot pink, turquoise, etc.

And I even found two pairs that were knee-highs! (Those were maroon.) The rest were all the shorter style.

And they were all $2.99 a pair, even the tall ones.

I also found some more socks for my novelty sock collection -- movie socks! A woven pattern of film reels, movie tickets, boxes of popcorn, etc.

I was in sock heaven. Mr. Excitement was not amused. He thinks I already have enough socks.

mxh

ktinkel
11-11-2005, 04:23 PM
And I even found two pairs that were knee-highs! (Those were maroon.) The rest were all the shorter style.

And they were all $2.99 a pair, even the tall ones.Congratulations.

Let us know — if you sent Mr E to spend a weekend with the rest of us, we could probably shape him up!

marlene
11-11-2005, 10:14 PM
... if you sent Mr E to spend a weekend with the rest of us, we could probably shape him up!

I think it would take more than a weekend. I've been working on him for over 25 years. <g>

mxh

ElyseC
11-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I almost bought a purple pair, but decided just the red for now, with plans to wear them for picture-taking on Xmas day opening presents.

ElyseC
11-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Knee-highs! I'm jealous!

Now, royal blue would've been especially tempting, but Penney's didn't have them.