PDA

View Full Version : Extra Loud Alarm Clocks

Susie
09-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, I can no longer hear my travel alarm when it goes off. I need to find a clock that will literally blow me out of bed. I've been doing some searches on the web, and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions. I saw one called "Sonic Boom" (such a charming name!) that included a vibrator you could put under your pillow.

I also needed a kitchen timer, but found one from Fischer Scientific that should fit the bill...it's supposed to go to a level of 100 decibels. Surely I can hear that. Thanks for your input.

annc
09-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, I can no longer hear my travel alarm when it goes off. I need to find a clock that will literally blow me out of bed. I've been doing some searches on the web, and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions. I saw one called "Sonic Boom" (such a charming name!) that included a vibrator you could put under your pillow.

I also needed a kitchen timer, but found one from Fischer Scientific that should fit the bill...it's supposed to go to a level of 100 decibels. Surely I can hear that. Thanks for your input.Can't help you with the alarm clock, but I have a kitchen timer with lovely large numbers on it, and a piercing ding-ding-ding that goes on for quite a long time. I need this because I am a beggar for ignoring timers when I'm concentrating on something. It's by Salter, and is called Big Time Electronic Timer.

George
09-08-2005, 03:22 AM

I also needed a kitchen timer, but found one from Fischer Scientific that should fit the bill...it's supposed to go to a level of 100 decibels. Surely I can hear that. Thanks for your input.

I got one from Wal-Mart, which cost, I think, almost $10 (so I splurged), in the design of the old fashioned wind-ups, with two big bells on the top and a hammer that beats them (but actually there is a battery hidden inside). Yeah, beating bells with a hammer works well. It's so loud, I decided only to use it when I have to--it messes up my sleeping.

Regards,

George

ktinkel
09-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Yeah, beating bells with a hammer works well. It's so loud, I decided only to use it when I have to--it messes up my sleeping.
I think anticipating such a wake-up call would disturb my sleep! I would keep waking up in order to avoid having to wake up because of that racket! <g>

terrie
09-08-2005, 09:30 AM
>>susie: I saw one called "Sonic Boom" (such a charming name!) that included a vibrator you could put under your pillow.

I have one of those...I can't hear the alarm part if I don't have my hearing aids in (I don't wear them to bed...'-}}) so I use the vibrator under my pillow...definitely recommend it...it's great...

They also make a travel/portable/battery operated one too...

Terrie

Susie
09-08-2005, 06:45 PM
I did find and order the loud timer. It should work at that level of loudness, I hope. Even if I stay in the kitchen, I cannot hear the timer on my oven or even the wind-up ones that go "ding, ding." I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until last week when I burned my meal because I didn't hear the timer going off. Very frustrating.

Susie
09-08-2005, 06:46 PM
I got one from Wal-Mart, which cost, I think, almost $10 (so I splurged), in the design of the old fashioned wind-ups, with two big bells on the top and a hammer that beats them (but actually there is a battery hidden inside). Yeah, beating bells with a hammer works well. It's so loud, I decided only to use it when I have to--it messes up my sleeping.

LOL! I'm with you on having my sleep messed up. I've decided, though, that when I'm sleeping the only hammer that will work is one on my head <G>

Susie
09-08-2005, 06:49 PM
I think anticipating such a wake-up call would disturb my sleep! I would keep waking up in order to avoid having to wake up because of that racket! <g>

You're right. I wish I could wake up more easily. I'm a very heavy sleeper, and usually have very vivid dreams. It takes a lot to wake me up. In my bedroom, I have my clock radio set to about as loud as it will go. It's obnoxious, but any lower sound level, and I'm likely to hit the snooze or off button and be gone. Last year, I was two hours late to work for that very reason. I have to play all kinds of tricks on myself to get me to wake up. I would just be happy if I came into a sort of twilight sleep so that waking up would be easier.

Susie
09-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I have one of those...I can't hear the alarm part if I don't have my hearing aids in (I don't wear them to bed...'-}}) so I use the vibrator under my pillow...definitely recommend it...it's great...

They also make a travel/portable/battery operated one too...>>

The travel/portable one is the one I'm looking at. I use my clock radio in my bedroom.

Thanks for your recommendation.

terrie
09-09-2005, 11:58 AM
>>susie: The travel/portable one is the one I'm looking at. I use my clock radio in my bedroom.

Let me know what you think of it...at one point, I had my old clock radio physically on my bed and turned up as loud as it would go only to discover that it disturbed my next door neighbor and that's when I bought the Sonic Boom clock...

As to timers, I have my old GrayLab darkroom timer in my kitchen which is very loud...but my hearing fluctuates and I realized on day that I wasn't hearing it in the living room so I went out and bought a small portable timer which I now carry around with me...

Terrie

Molly/CA
09-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Horse people:

The best fictional Christmas present I ever saw was in Practical Horseman: an alarm clock that 'rang' with the sound of hoofs crunching on gravel and/or blacktop.

annc
09-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Horse people:

The best fictional Christmas present I ever saw was in Practical Horseman: an alarm clock that 'rang' with the sound of hoofs crunching on gravel and/or blacktop.Oh, yes. That would get horse people up pretty quickly!

Susie
09-09-2005, 06:50 PM
As to timers, I have my old GrayLab darkroom timer in my kitchen which is very loud...but my hearing fluctuates and I realized on day that I wasn't hearing it in the living room so I went out and bought a small portable timer which I now carry around with me...Terrie

My timer came today, and it is loud. I won't have any problem hearing it in the kitchen, but I'm not sure I'll be able to hear it in another room, so I'm going to invest in one of those kitchen timers that you wear around your neck for times when I'm out of the kitchen.

I just ordered the Sonic Boom clock. I'll let you know what I think when it comes. I might start using it in conjunction with my clock radio, so I won't be able to avoid waking up <g>

annc
09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
I just ordered the Sonic Boom clock. I'll let you know what I think when it comes. I might start using it in conjunction with my clock radio, so I won't be able to avoid waking up <g>I'm not sure how loud this alarm clock (http://www.latestbuy.com.au/puzzle_clock_gadget.html) is, but it has a great way of getting you out of bed!

Franca
09-09-2005, 10:53 PM
LOL! I want one! Although after a day or two one wouldn't really have to be awake to fit the pieces together any more....

ElyseC
09-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Oh, now that is priceless! LOL!

terrie
09-10-2005, 11:31 AM
>>susie: I just ordered the Sonic Boom clock. I'll let you know what I think when it comes.

Cool...

Terrie

annc
09-10-2005, 12:47 PM
LOL! I want one! Although after a day or two one wouldn't really have to be awake to fit the pieces together any more....But you'd have to find them. I think that's the hard part. Then you'd have to get them back into the top of the alarm clock!